A new firmware update is available for the EOS-1D C. Firmware Version 1.3.x adds new functionality incorporating the following features and modifications: Lens aberration correction with EF Cinema Lenses:
Communication between Canon EF Cinema lenses and Canon cameras has had a few effects on the operation of the EOS-1D C. The following features are now available as menu options:
- Peripheral Illumination Correction: This feature maintains even brightness from corner to corner of an image. This will virtually eliminate vignetting and any other unevenness of light across the image.
- Chromatic Aberration Correction: This feature reduces color fringing in areas of an image with high contrast color. It reduces color bleeding, which is easily noticeable at edges and degrades perceived image quality.
- In addition, communication between the lens and camera body will allow the F-stop to now be seen on the viewfinder. Focus position and F-stop will also now be recorded by the camera.
- Flicker caused by manual aperture adjustment has been reduced with this update, this could cause slight underexposure which may result in exposure compensation in some cases.
Sound recording with Line input:
- After requests from users in the field, audio recording through a mini plug (3.5mm) connected to the external microphone terminal is now supported. This will allow for the recording of audio sources other than microphones, such as mobile devices or audio players. The standard input level is -8 dBV and can reach an input signal of up to +6 dBV. Sound recording levels are adjustable at 64 sound-recording levels.
Service support start date is anticipated mid-October 2013. For information regarding the EOS-1D C firmware update (which must be performed by a Canon Factory Service center) please contact Canon Cinema EOS Support at 1-855-CINE-EOS (246-3367).
Adorama carries theCanon EOS-1D C Cinema Camera.
From Canon: 10 Films Inspired By User Submitted Photographs Will be Packaged by Canon as "A Ron Howard Presentation" - The Winning Consumer Directors and Five Celebrity Directors: Eva Longoria, Jamie Foxx, James Murphy, Georgina Chapman and Biz Stone MELVILLE, N.Y., September 19, 2013
– Canon U.S.A., Inc., a leader in digital imaging solutions, two-time Academy Award winner Ron Howard, and Bryce Dallas Howard, one of Hollywood's most versatile actresses and director of the 2011 short film "when you find me," have announced the five winning consumer directors of the "Project Imaginat10n" film contest, which gave filmmakers of all skill levels an opportunity to showcase their creativity and storytelling abilities. Five celebrity directors also took part in the same creative exercise: Eva Longoria (film and TV actress), Jamie Foxx (Academy Award winner), Biz Stone (co-founder of Twitter), Georgina Chapman (designer and co-founder of Marchesa) and James Murphy (founder of LCD SOUNDSYSTEM).
The challenge was to create a short film inspired by ten crowdsourced photos in ten storytelling themes: Character, Mood, Goal, Backstory, Setting, Obstacle, Relationship, The Unknown, Time and Discovery. The Discovery photo, "Discovering limits," was selected by Ron Howard and served as the thematic tie in each film. From hundreds of film submissions, twenty finalists were selected by a panel of judges. From there, Ron Howard and Bryce Dallas Howard selected five winners to be part of "A Ron Howard Presentation."
Each film was judged based on imaginativeness, originality, technical quality, overall impression and the extent to which the film was inspired by ten of the winning Project Imaginat10n photos. The five Grand Prize winners include:
- Arrius Sorbonne, 24 years old of Salt Lake City, UT with his submission, "Dominus"
- Jared Nelson, 26 years old of Rancho Cucamonga, CA with his submission, "Chucked"
- Julian Higgins, 27 years old of Los Angeles, CA with his submission, "Here and Now"
- Kalman Apple, 53 years old of Los Angeles, CA with his submission, "A Day in the Country"
- Ronnie Allman, 26 years old of San Francisco, CA with his submission, "Filter"
Bryce Dallas Howard, the first "graduating" director of the Project Imagin8ion experiment, utilized her experience from directing the short film, "when you find me," to mentor aspiring filmmakers across the country through the contest– speaking at select film schools and revealing her tips in an online webisode series, "Bryce's Project Imaginat10n Film Contest Tutorial."
"The caliber of films that we reviewed was beyond anything we were expecting," said Bryce Dallas Howard, "This exercise continues to prove that creativity and collaboration generate endless possibilities that mark the state of our time."
"We were blown away and humbled by the quality of the films," said Ron Howard. "The five films selected took an incredible approach to the experiment and were completely imaginative and fascinating."
The winning consumer-directed films can be viewed at imagination.usa.canon.com.
From Triggertrap: LONDON – September 19, 2013
– Triggertrap, developer of creatively-thrilling camera triggering solutions which eliminate the barriers to exciting photographic techniques, today announced Triggertrap Mobile 2.0, the brand new version of its popular iOS and Android mobile apps. The latest generation disguises 14 oft-complex advanced remote triggering options in a visually seductive and simplified design which makes the app easier than ever before to pick up. By matching any SLR camera or advanced compact with the Triggertrap Mobile Dongle, these kissing cousins let the apps turn even the most novice shooter into a master of photographic Tantra.
Combining the capabilities of several expensive camera accessories into a single pocket-sized package, the 14 triggering modes in Triggertrap Mobile make advanced photographic techniques available to everyone - even photographic newbies. Timelapse, HDR photography, sound triggering and other gasp-inducing techniques instantly become accessible to any photo enthusiast looking to break the point-and-shoot mold.
With this new version, Triggertrap Mobile gets a fresh, modern look that makes it easier for each photographer to realize their unique vision. The new interface has been dressed down and simplified, making it easier and faster to switch between triggering modes - this means no more missing awesome photographic opportunities because you’re futzing around with dials. It also squashed the bugs that somehow snuck into previous versions of the app while implementing more user requested features than you could shake a lens cap at. One of the most requested upgrades allows the Android app to run in the background, even when the phone is locked, drastically reducing battery consumption for hours and hours of Triggertrap timelapsing goodness.
“Whether a relationship of platonic fun or deeply-woven lust, every relationship benefits from clear communication; with Triggertrap Mobile 2.0 we’ve proven to be good listeners. We saw the opportunity to combine what we learned from the first generation app with the tips we received from our diehard fans to make Triggertrap what we always envisioned it could be,” said CEO and Triggertrap inventor Haje Jan Kamps. “It certainly helps that our fans wear the pants around here and aren’t shy about letting us know what could be improved, and as a result, Triggertrap Mobile 2.0 is the best triggering solution you’ll find anywhere.”
Building on its predecessor’s success, the latest version maintains the app’s popular wireless triggering functionality and integration with the recently launched Triggertrap Flash Adapter that makes fierce high-speed photography available to anyone who fancies having a go. Triggertrap Mobile Functionality
Whether you’re aiming at the sky in hopes of capturing shooting stars, want to capture the exact moment a baseball comes crashing through a window pane, or would like to set up a fully automatic photo booth, Triggertrap has you covered.
Triggertrap Mobile is free to download and can be used on its own with the device’s internal camera, or you can use Triggertrap’s affordable hardware ($30) to hook the app up to a supported SLR camera or flashgun. Features include:
- A barrel of Timelapses: Use Triggertrap as a basic intervalometer for timelapse capture, or feed your creativity a juicy dose of growth hormone: Bulb Ramping Timelapse enables seamless sunrise/sunset timelapses, HDR timelapse lets you combine the power of HDR and timelapses, and the Triggertrap-exclusive TimeWarp feature uses acceleration algorithms developed for animation to create more dynamic and natural-looking timelapses.
- Shake it like a Polaroid Picture: Leverage the smartphone’s on-board sensors to release the shutter, using sound, GPS, vibration, and more. Best of all, there’s more sensor modes coming up soon.
- Long Exposure HDR: Triggertrap Mobile makes Long Exposure HDR photography easy: Choose intervals from 1/3 to 2 EV steps, and up to 19 bracketed exposures per HDR set. Why would you need 19 exposures? Absolutely no idea, but it’s there if you want it.
- DistanceLapse: Unique to Triggertrap and never before seen in a consumer device, this mode uses your smartphone’s GPS chip to fire the shutter over pre-determined distances. Brilliant for roadtrips!
- Star Trail mode: Take a series of long exposure shots to get low-noise star trail photos, or hedge your bets to ensure you capture rare natural phenomena like meteors or slightly less natural, and slightly less rare phenomena like fireworks!
- Wireless mode: Unique to Triggertrap, this Wi-Fi triggering technology allows photographers to leverage the range and speed of a Wi-Fi network to control more than 100 cameras at the same time. Matrix-style bullet-time, anyone?
Triggertrap Mobile 2.0 is available to download from the iTunes Store (iOS) now, and will be available from Google Play soon.
Amazon carries Triggertrap Mobile Dongles.
From Canon Professional Network: September 2013 Canon has announced that the EOS-1D C, its unique and ground-breaking DSLR designed principally for motion picture capture, has been independently tested in accordance with European Broadcasting Union (EBU) standards for HD content acquisition. The tests found that the EOS-1D C is the first-ever DSLR to provide an image of high enough quality for use as a broadcast production tool.
Results indicated that the EOS-1D C provides ‘exceptional’ HD resolution from a 4K source with ‘very low’ aliasing, and ‘good’ colour performance and motion portrayal. The test results also confirm that the EOS-1D C camera system and its imaging performance comply with the recommended specification for inclusion in the HD Tier 1 for HD Production.
“The EOS-1D C has received a tremendous response since it launched, and we’re delighted it’s been recognised by the EBU,” said Kieran Magee, Director of Professional Marketing, Canon Europe. “We’ve created a truly unique product that offers exceptional creative scope for videographers. The feedback we’ve received from the professional video community has been excellent, so it’s great that the product has been awarded the industry accreditation it deserves.” OUTSTANDING QUALITY AND FLEXIBILITY
An innovative model that pushes DSLR video into new and exciting territories, the EOS-1D C delivers outstanding video quality, advanced low light performance and film-like dynamic range. It’s based on the same compact and lightweight design as Canon’s EOS-1D X, only with a specification that is designed for video-supporting in-camera 4K (4,096x2,160) video recording with 4:2:2 colour sampling, offering greater creative freedom for video professionals.
Its unique design and 4K shooting ability offers videographers a unique and highly portable package that’s optimised for high-quality video recording. Advanced creative flexibility is provided with support for a range of resolutions and variable frame rates, with 4K video recorded using 8-bit Motion JPEG compression at 23.98P or 25P, and Full HD (1920x1080) video capture available at frame rates up to 1080/60p for smooth motion.
As part of the wider EOS System, the EOS-1D C is compatible with Canon’s unrivalled selection of over 75 EF lenses – providing videographers with an incredible range of creative options. EOS-1D C - KEY FEATURES:
- Internal 4K movie recording.
- 1080p at 50/60fps; Canon Log Gamma.
- Uncompressed HDMI output.
- 18 Megapixel Full Frame CMOS.
- Up to 12fps stills; 14fps mode.
- 61 point AF system.
- ISO range: 100-25,600.
- Dual DIGIC 5+ processors.
- Clear View II 8.1cm (3.2”) LCD.
- EF lens compatible.
Adorama carries theCanon EOS-1D C Cinema Camera.
From Epson: New Epson Connect Features Extend Mobile Printing Capabilities for Home and Business Print, Create and Share from Anywhere with Free Epson Connect Solutions LONG BEACH, Calif. – Sept. 19, 2013
– Catering to today’s increasingly mobile lifestyles and productivity needs, Epson America, Inc. today announced several enhancements to its suite of free Epson Connect mobile printing solutions, making it easier and more powerful than ever for users to print documents, photos, emails and web pages from anywhere in the world using an Epson Connect -enabled printer and an iPad, iPhone, tablet, smartphone, or computer1.
Headlining the robust set of upgrades is the all new Epson Creative Print App, enabling consumers to unleash their creativity and share customized photos, personal messages and more. With Epson Creative Print, users can access and print photos directly from their Facebook account and transform their photos into memorable keepsakes. Use Creative Print to create unique greeting cards and stationery, print onto CD/DVDs, and even turn photos into personalized coloring book templates.
“Home users now have a new and creative way to personalize their photos with the Epson Creative Print App while business users have powerful new Epson Connect enhancements for their smartphones, tablets or laptops so they can be productive anytime, anywhere,” said Patrick Chen, product manager of mobile connectivity, Epson America, Inc. “Our goal is to make accessing, sharing and printing files as easy and as powerful as possible regardless of which device you are using or where you happen to be. The latest free Epson Connect enhancements and solutions change the way consumers and business professionals create and print.”
Epson Connect mobile printing features and enhancements include:
- New Epson Creative Print App – Access and print Facebook photos, create custom greeting cards and stationery, print onto CD/DVDs, and turn photos into coloring book templates using this app on iPad, iPhone or Android tablet and phones.
- Epson iPrint App – iPrint transforms smartphones and tablets into a powerful productivity tool. Easily access files from Box, Dropbox, Evernote, Google Drive, and Microsoft SkyDrive, and print them from anywhere1 even within complex corporate networks. Transfer files from USB drives or memory cards using the slots on the printer, or scan from a nearby Epson printer, then email or share files online.
- Epson E-mail Print – Remotely send documents and photos from any email-enabled device directly and simultaneously to multiple Epson printers with unique email addresses for printed output from 4” x 6” up to 11”x 17.”
- Epson Remote Print – Streamline productivity without worrying about formatting or adjusting fonts. Simply print remotely from a computer or laptop to an Epson email-enabled printer anywhere in the world using any Windows or Mac application with a print function.
In addition, Epson Connect incorporates an optional level of security to ensure users have the ability to reduce unwanted prints and eliminate spam. By enabling an “Approved Sender’s List,” users can specify the email addresses or email domains that are allowed to print unattended to the printer's email address.
All Epson Connect solutions are available now with the exception of Epson Remote Print for Mac, which will be available for download mid-October. The Epson Creative Print App is now available for use with select Epson Expression all-in-one models. Visit www.epson.com/connect for more information on mobile printing capabilities, supported models and availability.
Adorama carries Epson printers.
Notice Regarding Market Purchase of Own Shares and Completion of Acquisition
(Under the provisions of its Articles of Incorporation pursuant to paragraph 2, Article 165 of the Corporation Law of Japan)
Canon Inc. announced that it has acquired its own shares as follows, under Article 156, as applied pursuant to paragraph 3, Article 165, of the Corporation Law, and that it has completed the acquisition resolved at its Board of Directors meeting held on September 3, 2013. Details of acquisition
|Type of shares acquired:||Shares of common stock |
| Total number of shares acquired:|| 15,790,000 shares |
| Total cost of acquisition:|| 49,999,802,000 yen |
| Period of acquisition:|| From September 4, 2013 to September 18, 2013 |
| Method of acquisition:|| Purchased on the Tokyo Stock Exchange|
From Nikon: Capture the Action at the Speed of Life: The Nikon 1 AW1 is the World's First Waterproof and Shockproof Interchangeable Lens Camera From Tropical Tides to a Whitewater Adventure, the New Nikon 1 AW1 and Two New 1 NIKKOR AW Lenses Help Capture Family Adventures, Even When Traveling Off the Beaten Path September 19, 2013 – MELVILLE, N.Y.
– Today, Nikon Inc. announced the world’s first waterproof, shockproof interchangeable lens camera, the Nikon 1 AW1. Also designed to be freezeproof, the durable and versatile AW1 thrives in harsh environments while delivering the high-performance features and incredible image quality that thrill-seeking families need to capture every moment and memory. By land or by sea, from the tropics to snowy peaks, this newest addition to the Nikon 1 Advanced Camera with Interchangeable Lens System (ACIL) is equipped with outdoor friendly features to capture amazing photos and stunning Full HD video.
To complement the AW1, Nikon also introduced two new waterproof, shockproof and freezeproof lenses, the 1 NIKKOR AW 11-27.5mm f/3.5-5.6 and 1 NIKKOR AW 10mm f/2.8. Striking the ideal balance between portability and performance, the robust 11-27.5mm lens offers a versatile lens option with a 2.5x zoom range. Additionally, the portable wide-angle 10mm lens offers a fast f/2.8 aperture to help deliver a shallow depth of field and excellent low-light performance.
“As the world’s first waterproof and shockproof Advanced Camera with Interchangeable Lens System, the Nikon 1 AW1 offers an exciting new option for the family who seeks both exhilaration and a durable yet versatile camera to complement their active lifestyle,” said Masahiro Horie, Director of Marketing and Planning, Nikon Inc. “The Nikon 1 AW1 and the new 1 NIKKOR lenses are always ready to capture the action with high speed performance and incredible image quality that users have come to expect from the Nikon 1 System.” The Nikon 1 AW1: The World’s First Waterproof and Shockproof Interchangeable Lens Camera
Whether the destination is to the beach, the slopes or a mountain pass, the Nikon 1 AW1 is a must-pack accessory for any adventure. Waterproof (down to 49 feet), shockproof (up to 6.6 feet) and freezeproof (down to 14° F), the AW1 can handle the toughest conditions while capturing fast action. Though built to be durable and robust, the camera retains a compact and lightweight body, making it easy to carry on any expedition, above or below sea level.
Additionally, the versatile Nikon 1 AW1 offers the unique feature set that adventurers of all levels can take full advantage of, whether tackling a black diamond slope or an unfamiliar trail. With built-in GPS technology, AW1 users can track their travels while identifying the exact longitude and latitude where an image or video was captured. The AW1 is also equipped with an altimeter, a depth gauge, an electronic compass and a virtual horizon indicator. What’s more, the cameras pop-up flash is waterproof as well, allowing the user to add light to a scene automatically or on command. Capturing the Perfect Shot: The Performance and Speed of the Nikon 1 AW1
Featuring both a 14.2-megapixel CX-format CMOS sensor and Nikon’s EXPEED 3A image processing engine, the AW1 produces sharp, high-quality images and HD video with great detail and color, even in challenging lighting situations. The Nikon 1 AW1 also sports a wide ISO range (160 to 6400), allowing users to capture sharp photos in a variety of lighting, even while handheld.
Swift performance and rapid response are hallmarks of the Nikon 1 System, and in similar fashion the the AW1 includes Nikon’s superfast and extremely responsive Advanced Hybrid Autofocus (AF) system that affords users the ability to capture incredibly fast moving action. To capture even the fastest moving subjects with clarity, the 73-point AF array can lock on to the action in approximately 80 milliseconds. To help ensure that no moment is missed, the AW1 offers the world’s fastest continuous shooting frame rate (approx. 15 frames-per-second [fps] with AF) and continuous shooting at 60 fps when the focus is locked. Ready for the Next Adventure: The Feature Set of the Nikon 1 AW1
The compact Nikon 1 AW1 strikes the perfect balance between creative and user-friendly features and controls. Similar to the Nikon COOLPIX AW110, the AW1 also includes Action Control, which allows users to control certain functions of the camera simply by swinging it in the air. This feature makes it easier to adjust the camera underwater or when wearing gloves.
When using the Nikon 1 AW1, the Creative Mode menu provides an easy way to utilize full manual exposure controls (P,S,A,M) as well as Selective Color, Miniature, Soft, Night Landscape, Backlighting and Night Portrait modes. Additionally, Easy Panorama provides a simple way to capture vast landscapes from a wide perspective of awe-inspiring landscapes.
The Nikon 1 AW1 incorporates Full HD 1080p video capabilities as well as Advanced Movie Mode. In Advanced Movie Mode, users can shoot Full HD video and high-resolution stills simultaneously. Additionally, Slow Motion Movies can capture all the action at either 400 fps or 1200 fps. The AW1 also features Enhanced Motion Snapshot Mode, which provides shooters with the option of capturing a quick passing moment with a short, slow-motion movie sequence in addition to a single defining still image.
When Best Moment Capture Mode is selected, camera users have access to Smart Photo Selector or Slow View modes. With Smart Photo Selector, the AW1 can capture up to 20 shots with a simple press of the shutter button, and the camera will select the best shot. Slow View is ideal for extreme action sports; once focus is achieved and the shutter button is pressed halfway down, users capture live action (approx. 1.33 seconds) while the subject is displayed in slow motion on the screen. A slowed-down view is then continuously looped over until the shutter is fully pressed, resulting in an amazing moment that would have been otherwise been missed.
Furthermore, the Nikon 1 AW1 features an intuitive Auto Mode to help users frame the perfect shot with ease. The AW1 also comes equipped with Live Image Control, giving the user access to real time adjustments of Active D-Lighting, Background Softening, Motion Control and Brightness Control, which are displayed on the AW1’s LCD screen prior to capture.
When it’s time for some aquatic action, the Nikon 1 AW1 offers several underwater controls. When in Underwater mode, users can choose from either three options (standard, scuba, close-up), which will automatically adjust the camera’s settings to deliver optimal results based on the type of activity that a user is participating in. Additionally, the Underwater White Balance setting makes adjusting white balance simple, while the Underwater Distortion Control corrects the effects of distortion caused by water. Share the Adventure: Wirelessly Send Images from the Nikon 1 AW1
For those who want to share their images from their latest expeditions instantly, users will be able to take advantage of the AW1’s Wi-Fi capabilities. Similar to previous Nikon 1 System cameras like the Nikon 1 J3, the Nikon 1 AW1 is fully compatible with Nikon’s optional WU-1b Wireless Mobile Adapter, allowing high-quality images to seamlessly be transferred to compatible smart devices wirelessly. If using the free Wireless Mobile Adapter Utility application for Android platform smart devices as well as iPhone and iPad mobile digital devices, AW1 users will have the ability to remotely take photos with the camera from a smartphone or tablet as well.
The 1 NIKKOR AW 11-27.5mm f/3.5-5.6 and AW 10mm f/2.8: New Lenses for the Nikon 1 AW1
Alongside the new Nikon 1 AW1, the waterproof, shockproof and freezeproof 1 NIKKOR AW 11-27.5mm f/3.5-5.6 and 1 NIKKOR AW 10mm f/2.8 provide two versatile lens options for the individual looking for a compact camera system that can keep up with their active lifestyle. When attached to the AW1, these lenses can handle tough conditions while being waterproof (up to 49 feet), shockproof (up to 6.6 feet) and freezeproof (down to 14° F). The compact 11-27.5mm is a lightweight yet durable lens that packs a 2.5x zoom (30-74mm equivalent) and is ideal for capturing landscapes and portraiture during a family’s latest expedition. Portable and ultra-compact, the 10mm provides AW1 shooters with a wide angle of view, useful when capturing everything from sweeping landscapes to close-up action that fills the frame. Not to be outdone, the 10mm has a fast aperture of f/2.8, to capture special moments with incredible clarity and a soft natural background, even in challenging light such as dusk or when underwater.
For further versatility when out of the water, the Nikon 1 AW1 is also fully compatible with the expanding lineup of incredibly sharp 1 NIKKOR lenses, Nikon 1 accessories, as well as a wide range F-Mount NIKKOR lenses when connected to the FT-1 Mount Adapter.
New Nikon 1 Accessories: New Skins Provide More Control and Personal Flair
Demonstrating Nikon’s commitment to the newly introduced waterproof, shockproof and freezeproof products, Nikon also introduced new accessory skins for the Nikon 1 AW1 and the 1 NIKKOR AW 11-27.5mm f/3.5-5.6 lens. To provide more grip, comfort and control when shooting, the new accessory skins provide extra protection while also adding visibility and personal flair to their Nikon 1 Camera System setup.
For those adventurers looking for the flexibility to swap lenses in environments with extreme temperature and humidity changes, Nikon has developed a new filter attachment, the Filter AW 40.5 NC, to effectively combat the common occurrence of condensation. Nikon has also announced the development of the SB-N10 Underwater Speedlight. The SB-N10 will offer extra illumination when capturing still images underwater or in extreme low-light conditions.
Price and Availability:
The Nikon 1 AW1 will be available as a one-lens kit, with the 1 NIKKOR AW 11-27.5mm f/3.5-5.6 lens, and a two-lens kit with the 1 NIKKOR AW 11-27.5mm f/3.5-5.6 and 1 NIKKOR AW 10mm f/2.8 lenses. The Nikon 1 AW1 kit with the 11-27.5mm will be available in October 2013 for the suggested retail price (SRP) of $799.95. The Nikon 1 AW1 two lens kit with the 11-27.5mm and 10mm lenses will be available in October 2013 for the suggested retail price (SRP) of $999.95. To complement consumers' preferences, the Nikon 1 AW1 kits will come in three different colors including black, silver and white. Additionally, the new accessory skins for the AW1, 11-27.5mm lens and 10mm lens will come in a variety of colors including black, khaki and orange. These skins will be available in October 2013 for the suggested retail price (SRP) of $36.96. Lastly, the new Filter AW 40.5 NC attachment will be available in Spring 2014, though the suggested retail price (SRP) has not yet been announced.
Amazon has the Nikon 1 AW1 available for preorder.