is featuring the Case Logic Kilowatt KSB-102 Large Sling Backpack
as a Lightning Deal
and is available for $89.99. Regularly $118.50.
Post Date: 9/20/2013 1:40:51 PM CT Posted By: Sean
(via tri-state1) has the Canon PowerShot A1400 Digital Camera
available for $69.99 with free shipping. Compare at $84.99.
Post Date: 9/20/2013 1:12:20 PM CT Posted By: Sean
I decided that, with a clear sky, I was going to stack a pair of extenders to the back of my Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II USM Lens
and capture the "Harvest Moon" (the full moon closest to the autumnal equinox).
Stacking a Canon EF 1.4x Extender
with a Canon EF 2x Extender
requires a 12mm extension tube
to be mounted between the two – to make the fit possible. The result is 600mm x 2 x 1.4 = 1680mm = Wow!
While you should not expect amazing image quality from this setup, the tight angle of view delivered by 1680mm is quite amazing. So tight that tracking the moon through the frame is a constant task. And, avoiding vibrations is a challenge. I opted to use mirror lockup with the 10 second self-timer to make sure that the camera fully settled down before the shutter release.
I was trying different exposure settings and verifying the results on the LCD. During one such check, I saw a black spot on the moon. My first thought was that I had a piece of dust on my sensor. Zooming in revealed otherwise.
I live well over an hour from the nearest large airport. The sky was black and I had no idea that there were any airplanes in the area. Using the 10 second timer, with the narrow angle of view, meant that I was predicting where the moon would be in the frame at shutter release. Not only did the airplane happen to cross the moon at the exact time of the shutter release, it happened to be in a perfect location over the moon. The timing was divine.
This image is an un-touched and uncropped (but reduced in size of course) conversion of the Canon EOS 5D Mark III
RAW file. Photography is so fun.
Post Date: 9/20/2013 9:34:16 AM CT Posted By: Bryan
So, what is the one question about photography gear or photography techniques that you would like an answer to?
Questions can be at any level of difficulty – from easy to impossible to answer. Please post your question on our Facebook page
or send us an email
if you'd rather not ask your question in a public forum. We'll be looking at and attempting to answer as many questions as we can!
Post Date: 9/20/2013 9:06:25 AM CT Posted By: Sean
From MindShift Gear
We've packed some great gear into one of our rotation180° professional camera bags and we're going to choose a winner to take it all! We will also be giving away spot prizes to people that share and comment! What have we packed in?
- MindShiftGear rotation180° Deluxe
- Wimberly Head
- REI Gift Card
- CamelBak 3Ltr reservoir
- Think Tank Photo Custom Pixel Pocket Rocket
To enter, LIKE the promotion page and fill in the giveaway form.
This promotion is eligible for entry to anyone where permitted by law. You may enter once per day.
The promotion closes on 8th October, 2013 with a winner drawn and announced in the following 48 hours.
We reserve the right to announce the winner's name via our social channels, if the winner does not contact us to arrange delivery within 7 days of their email notification (and a couple of follow ups, hey, we're not cruel!) we'll re-draw and a new winner will be plucked.
This promotion's prize is not tranferable for cash, gold bullion or single origin coffee beans.
Post Date: 9/20/2013 8:44:21 AM CT Posted By: Sean
has the Nikon D5100 DSLR Camera Body
available for $429.00. Compare at $496.95.
Amazon also has the Nikon D5100 DSLR Camera with 18-55mm VR Lens Kit
available for $479.99. Compare at $596.95.
Post Date: 9/20/2013 8:16:38 AM CT Posted By: Sean
From Delkin: Poway, CA. September 19, 2013
– Delkin Devices is proud to announce the newest addition to their extensive product line of CompactFlash memory cards, the CF 1050X UDMA 7 Cinema memory card. With improved read and write speeds, Delkin’s 1050X Cinema card guarantees smooth, continuous recording and playback on DSLR cameras, especially ones that record in 4K.
Delkin’s CF 1050X is a specialized cinema memory card that's designed to excel in high-end recording equipment, such as 4K cameras and digital backs. Capable of recording data at speeds up to 120 MB/s, the 1050X is Delkin’s fastest card to date and is able to keep up with the most demanding digital cinematography requirements. “With 4K being adopted more each year, there is a growing need among filmmakers for memory cards that are fast enough to smoothly capture UltraHD video footage” explains Marketing Manager Anna Lopez. “With Delkin’s CF 1050X Cinema cards, filmmakers can confidently know that all of their footage will be captured in its entirety, without dropped frames.”
The 1050X is approved to work in high-end cameras that support 4K UltraHD recording, such as Canon’s EOS-1D C and C500; undergoing thorough testing to ensure compatibility and flawless performance. To record footage in 4K at 24fps, the Canon 1D C requires memory cards that are UDMA 7 and have a minimum write speed of 100 MB/s. Cards with a write speed less than 100 MB/s will either drop frames during filming or stop recording. The 1050X also works on digital file recorders, like AJA’s Ki Pro Mini.
The CF 1050X Cinema card also helps improve user workflow by reducing the amount of time it takes to transfer files from card to computer. With a read speed of 160 MB/s, the 1050X saves time and allows you to work on other project-related tasks. As the file size for 4K footage is significantly larger than 1080p, Delkin’s cards are built to transfer files quickly and efficiently, so that you can utilize your time to the fullest. No longer will you have to wait hours before you can start editing footage.
Unlike memory cards that are mass-built in overseas facilities, Delkin’s CF 1050X UDMA 7 Cinema memory cards are built with carefully chosen and controlled components to increase longevity, reliability and overall quality. All of Delkin’s memory cards are designed, engineered, and built in the U.S. and are covered under our Lifetime Warranty.
Delkin’s CompactFlash product line also includes our 500X (Good), 700X (Better), and 1000X (Best) memory cards. The CF 1050X Cinema card is now available and comes in the following capacities: 32GB, 64GB and 128GB. Retail prices for each capacity are $139.95, $299.95, and $639.95 respectively and can be purchased via Delkin.com or any Delkin authorized retailer. Adorama
carries Delkin's new CF 1050X Cinema Cards
Post Date: 9/20/2013 7:48:17 AM CT Posted By: Sean
From Sigma: Sigma Optimization Pro 1.1:
Even after the update of lens firmware, this updated version of software will allow customers to secure all the settings and adjustment values of AF and OS that are customized via the USB DOCK. Please update to Ver1.1 before operating firmware update of 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC MACRO OS HSM C013 and 35mm F1.4 DG HSM A012. When the latest version of SIGMA Optimization Pro is released, users of the previous version will be notified with a pop-up window when the software starts up with an internet connection. Download:
Sigma Optimization Pro 1.1: Windows
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM Firmware 1.02:
- Refined AF algorithm to reduce the operating noise.
- Improved smoothness of AF as it starts up and stops.
* Please update to SIGMA Optimization Pro Ver1.1 before operating firmware update of 35mm F1.4 DG HSM A012.
You can download the Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM Firmware 1.02 via Optimization Pro 1.1.
Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM Firmware 1.01:
- Improved stability of the Optical Stabilizer's operation.
- Refined AF algorithm to reduce the operating noise.
* Please update to SIGMA Optimization Pro Ver1.1 before operating firmware update of 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC MACRO OS HSM C013.
You can download the Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM Firmware 1.01 via Optimization Pro 1.1.
Adorama carries the Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM, Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM and the USB Dock.
Post Date: 9/20/2013 7:18:31 AM CT Posted By: Sean
Digital Photo Professional 3.13.45 and EOS Utility 2.13.25 are now available for download. (thanks Marco)
From Canon USA:
Changes from Digital Photo Professional 3.13.0 Updater for Windows:
- Supports images taken with EOS 70D, EOS Kiss X7 / EOS Rebel SL1 / EOS 100D, PowerShot G16, PowerShot S120.
- Supports new lens (EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM, EF 200-400mm f/4L IS USM Extender 1.4X, EF-M 11-22mm f4-5.6 IS STM).
- The accuracy of the white balance in M-RAW and S-RAW images has been improved.
Changes from EOS Utility 2.13.21 Updater for Windows :
- pport for EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM with lens optical correction.
Digital Photo Professional 3.13.45: Windows | Macintosh
EOS Utility 2.13.25: Windows | Macintosh
Post Date: 9/20/2013 5:52:31 AM CT Posted By: Sean
For a limited time, DigitalRev
has the Canon EOS 7D DSLR Camera
) available for $1,019.00. Compare at $1,499.00.
Post Date: 9/20/2013 5:35:37 AM CT Posted By: Sean
has the Sony 16GB SDHC/SDXC Class 10 UHS-1 R40 Memory Card
available for $11.15. It's not really a sale, per se (as it's nearly the same price at other retailers
), but 16GBs of storage for a little more than $11.00 is a pretty good deal nonetheless.
Post Date: 9/19/2013 4:16:46 PM CT Posted By: Sean
A new firmware update is available for the EOS-1D C. Firmware Version 1.3.x adds new functionality incorporating the following features and modifications: Lens aberration correction with EF Cinema Lenses:
Communication between Canon EF Cinema lenses and Canon cameras has had a few effects on the operation of the EOS-1D C. The following features are now available as menu options:
- Peripheral Illumination Correction: This feature maintains even brightness from corner to corner of an image. This will virtually eliminate vignetting and any other unevenness of light across the image.
- Chromatic Aberration Correction: This feature reduces color fringing in areas of an image with high contrast color. It reduces color bleeding, which is easily noticeable at edges and degrades perceived image quality.
- In addition, communication between the lens and camera body will allow the F-stop to now be seen on the viewfinder. Focus position and F-stop will also now be recorded by the camera.
- Flicker caused by manual aperture adjustment has been reduced with this update, this could cause slight underexposure which may result in exposure compensation in some cases.
Sound recording with Line input:
- After requests from users in the field, audio recording through a mini plug (3.5mm) connected to the external microphone terminal is now supported. This will allow for the recording of audio sources other than microphones, such as mobile devices or audio players. The standard input level is -8 dBV and can reach an input signal of up to +6 dBV. Sound recording levels are adjustable at 64 sound-recording levels.
Service support start date is anticipated mid-October 2013. For information regarding the EOS-1D C firmware update (which must be performed by a Canon Factory Service center) please contact Canon Cinema EOS Support at 1-855-CINE-EOS (246-3367).
Adorama carries theCanon EOS 1D C Cinema Camera.
Post Date: 9/19/2013 12:13:45 PM CT Posted By: Sean
From Canon: 10 Films Inspired By User Submitted Photographs Will be Packaged by Canon as "A Ron Howard Presentation" - The Winning Consumer Directors and Five Celebrity Directors: Eva Longoria, Jamie Foxx, James Murphy, Georgina Chapman and Biz Stone MELVILLE, N.Y., September 19, 2013
– Canon U.S.A., Inc., a leader in digital imaging solutions, two-time Academy Award winner Ron Howard, and Bryce Dallas Howard, one of Hollywood's most versatile actresses and director of the 2011 short film "when you find me," have announced the five winning consumer directors of the "Project Imaginat10n" film contest, which gave filmmakers of all skill levels an opportunity to showcase their creativity and storytelling abilities. Five celebrity directors also took part in the same creative exercise: Eva Longoria (film and TV actress), Jamie Foxx (Academy Award winner), Biz Stone (co-founder of Twitter), Georgina Chapman (designer and co-founder of Marchesa) and James Murphy (founder of LCD SOUNDSYSTEM).
The challenge was to create a short film inspired by ten crowdsourced photos in ten storytelling themes: Character, Mood, Goal, Backstory, Setting, Obstacle, Relationship, The Unknown, Time and Discovery. The Discovery photo, "Discovering limits," was selected by Ron Howard and served as the thematic tie in each film. From hundreds of film submissions, twenty finalists were selected by a panel of judges. From there, Ron Howard and Bryce Dallas Howard selected five winners to be part of "A Ron Howard Presentation."
Each film was judged based on imaginativeness, originality, technical quality, overall impression and the extent to which the film was inspired by ten of the winning Project Imaginat10n photos. The five Grand Prize winners include:
- Arrius Sorbonne, 24 years old of Salt Lake City, UT with his submission, "Dominus"
- Jared Nelson, 26 years old of Rancho Cucamonga, CA with his submission, "Chucked"
- Julian Higgins, 27 years old of Los Angeles, CA with his submission, "Here and Now"
- Kalman Apple, 53 years old of Los Angeles, CA with his submission, "A Day in the Country"
- Ronnie Allman, 26 years old of San Francisco, CA with his submission, "Filter"
Bryce Dallas Howard, the first "graduating" director of the Project Imagin8ion experiment, utilized her experience from directing the short film, "when you find me," to mentor aspiring filmmakers across the country through the contest– speaking at select film schools and revealing her tips in an online webisode series, "Bryce's Project Imaginat10n Film Contest Tutorial."
"The caliber of films that we reviewed was beyond anything we were expecting," said Bryce Dallas Howard, "This exercise continues to prove that creativity and collaboration generate endless possibilities that mark the state of our time."
"We were blown away and humbled by the quality of the films," said Ron Howard. "The five films selected took an incredible approach to the experiment and were completely imaginative and fascinating."
The winning consumer-directed films can be viewed at imagination.usa.canon.com.
Post Date: 9/19/2013 9:18:06 AM CT Posted By: Sean
From Triggertrap: LONDON – September 19, 2013
– Triggertrap, developer of creatively-thrilling camera triggering solutions which eliminate the barriers to exciting photographic techniques, today announced Triggertrap Mobile 2.0, the brand new version of its popular iOS and Android mobile apps. The latest generation disguises 14 oft-complex advanced remote triggering options in a visually seductive and simplified design which makes the app easier than ever before to pick up. By matching any SLR camera or advanced compact with the Triggertrap Mobile Dongle, these kissing cousins let the apps turn even the most novice shooter into a master of photographic Tantra.
Combining the capabilities of several expensive camera accessories into a single pocket-sized package, the 14 triggering modes in Triggertrap Mobile make advanced photographic techniques available to everyone - even photographic newbies. Timelapse, HDR photography, sound triggering and other gasp-inducing techniques instantly become accessible to any photo enthusiast looking to break the point-and-shoot mold.
With this new version, Triggertrap Mobile gets a fresh, modern look that makes it easier for each photographer to realize their unique vision. The new interface has been dressed down and simplified, making it easier and faster to switch between triggering modes - this means no more missing awesome photographic opportunities because you’re futzing around with dials. It also squashed the bugs that somehow snuck into previous versions of the app while implementing more user requested features than you could shake a lens cap at. One of the most requested upgrades allows the Android app to run in the background, even when the phone is locked, drastically reducing battery consumption for hours and hours of Triggertrap timelapsing goodness.
“Whether a relationship of platonic fun or deeply-woven lust, every relationship benefits from clear communication; with Triggertrap Mobile 2.0 we’ve proven to be good listeners. We saw the opportunity to combine what we learned from the first generation app with the tips we received from our diehard fans to make Triggertrap what we always envisioned it could be,” said CEO and Triggertrap inventor Haje Jan Kamps. “It certainly helps that our fans wear the pants around here and aren’t shy about letting us know what could be improved, and as a result, Triggertrap Mobile 2.0 is the best triggering solution you’ll find anywhere.”
Building on its predecessor’s success, the latest version maintains the app’s popular wireless triggering functionality and integration with the recently launched Triggertrap Flash Adapter that makes fierce high-speed photography available to anyone who fancies having a go. Triggertrap Mobile Functionality
Whether you’re aiming at the sky in hopes of capturing shooting stars, want to capture the exact moment a baseball comes crashing through a window pane, or would like to set up a fully automatic photo booth, Triggertrap has you covered.
Triggertrap Mobile is free to download and can be used on its own with the device’s internal camera, or you can use Triggertrap’s affordable hardware ($30) to hook the app up to a supported SLR camera or flashgun. Features include:
- A barrel of Timelapses: Use Triggertrap as a basic intervalometer for timelapse capture, or feed your creativity a juicy dose of growth hormone: Bulb Ramping Timelapse enables seamless sunrise/sunset timelapses, HDR timelapse lets you combine the power of HDR and timelapses, and the Triggertrap-exclusive TimeWarp feature uses acceleration algorithms developed for animation to create more dynamic and natural-looking timelapses.
- Shake it like a Polaroid Picture: Leverage the smartphone’s on-board sensors to release the shutter, using sound, GPS, vibration, and more. Best of all, there’s more sensor modes coming up soon.
- Long Exposure HDR: Triggertrap Mobile makes Long Exposure HDR photography easy: Choose intervals from 1/3 to 2 EV steps, and up to 19 bracketed exposures per HDR set. Why would you need 19 exposures? Absolutely no idea, but it’s there if you want it.
- DistanceLapse: Unique to Triggertrap and never before seen in a consumer device, this mode uses your smartphone’s GPS chip to fire the shutter over pre-determined distances. Brilliant for roadtrips!
- Star Trail mode: Take a series of long exposure shots to get low-noise star trail photos, or hedge your bets to ensure you capture rare natural phenomena like meteors or slightly less natural, and slightly less rare phenomena like fireworks!
- Wireless mode: Unique to Triggertrap, this Wi-Fi triggering technology allows photographers to leverage the range and speed of a Wi-Fi network to control more than 100 cameras at the same time. Matrix-style bullet-time, anyone?
Triggertrap Mobile 2.0 is available to download from the iTunes Store (iOS) now, and will be available from Google Play soon.
Amazon carries Triggertrap Mobile Dongles.
Post Date: 9/19/2013 8:59:18 AM CT Posted By: Sean
Today's sample pictures
were captured with the Canon EOS M (review)
. Because most of these pictures were taken with the Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Lens
, that review now also has sample pictures available.
Note that the EOS M
is available through Amazon.com
for a great price.
Also, a few sample pictures from the Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM A Lens
and the Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD Lens
are also on the site.
Post Date: 9/19/2013 8:49:58 AM CT Posted By: Bryan
From Canon Professional Network: September 2013 Canon has announced that the EOS-1D C, its unique and ground-breaking DSLR designed principally for motion picture capture, has been independently tested in accordance with European Broadcasting Union (EBU) standards for HD content acquisition. The tests found that the EOS-1D C is the first-ever DSLR to provide an image of high enough quality for use as a broadcast production tool.
Results indicated that the EOS-1D C provides ‘exceptional’ HD resolution from a 4K source with ‘very low’ aliasing, and ‘good’ colour performance and motion portrayal. The test results also confirm that the EOS-1D C camera system and its imaging performance comply with the recommended specification for inclusion in the HD Tier 1 for HD Production.
“The EOS-1D C has received a tremendous response since it launched, and we’re delighted it’s been recognised by the EBU,” said Kieran Magee, Director of Professional Marketing, Canon Europe. “We’ve created a truly unique product that offers exceptional creative scope for videographers. The feedback we’ve received from the professional video community has been excellent, so it’s great that the product has been awarded the industry accreditation it deserves.” OUTSTANDING QUALITY AND FLEXIBILITY
An innovative model that pushes DSLR video into new and exciting territories, the EOS-1D C delivers outstanding video quality, advanced low light performance and film-like dynamic range. It’s based on the same compact and lightweight design as Canon’s EOS-1D X, only with a specification that is designed for video-supporting in-camera 4K (4,096x2,160) video recording with 4:2:2 colour sampling, offering greater creative freedom for video professionals.
Its unique design and 4K shooting ability offers videographers a unique and highly portable package that’s optimised for high-quality video recording. Advanced creative flexibility is provided with support for a range of resolutions and variable frame rates, with 4K video recorded using 8-bit Motion JPEG compression at 23.98P or 25P, and Full HD (1920x1080) video capture available at frame rates up to 1080/60p for smooth motion.
As part of the wider EOS System, the EOS-1D C is compatible with Canon’s unrivalled selection of over 75 EF lenses – providing videographers with an incredible range of creative options. EOS-1D C - KEY FEATURES:
- Internal 4K movie recording.
- 1080p at 50/60fps; Canon Log Gamma.
- Uncompressed HDMI output.
- 18 Megapixel Full Frame CMOS.
- Up to 12fps stills; 14fps mode.
- 61 point AF system.
- ISO range: 100-25,600.
- Dual DIGIC 5+ processors.
- Clear View II 8.1cm (3.2”) LCD.
- EF lens compatible.
Adorama carries theCanon EOS 1D C Cinema Camera.
Post Date: 9/19/2013 8:05:33 AM CT Posted By: Sean
From Epson: New Epson Connect Features Extend Mobile Printing Capabilities for Home and Business Print, Create and Share from Anywhere with Free Epson Connect Solutions LONG BEACH, Calif. – Sept. 19, 2013
– Catering to today’s increasingly mobile lifestyles and productivity needs, Epson America, Inc. today announced several enhancements to its suite of free Epson Connect mobile printing solutions, making it easier and more powerful than ever for users to print documents, photos, emails and web pages from anywhere in the world using an Epson Connect -enabled printer and an iPad, iPhone, tablet, smartphone, or computer1.
Headlining the robust set of upgrades is the all new Epson Creative Print App, enabling consumers to unleash their creativity and share customized photos, personal messages and more. With Epson Creative Print, users can access and print photos directly from their Facebook account and transform their photos into memorable keepsakes. Use Creative Print to create unique greeting cards and stationery, print onto CD/DVDs, and even turn photos into personalized coloring book templates.
“Home users now have a new and creative way to personalize their photos with the Epson Creative Print App while business users have powerful new Epson Connect enhancements for their smartphones, tablets or laptops so they can be productive anytime, anywhere,” said Patrick Chen, product manager of mobile connectivity, Epson America, Inc. “Our goal is to make accessing, sharing and printing files as easy and as powerful as possible regardless of which device you are using or where you happen to be. The latest free Epson Connect enhancements and solutions change the way consumers and business professionals create and print.”
Epson Connect mobile printing features and enhancements include:
- New Epson Creative Print App – Access and print Facebook photos, create custom greeting cards and stationery, print onto CD/DVDs, and turn photos into coloring book templates using this app on iPad, iPhone or Android tablet and phones.
- Epson iPrint App – iPrint transforms smartphones and tablets into a powerful productivity tool. Easily access files from Box, Dropbox, Evernote, Google Drive, and Microsoft SkyDrive, and print them from anywhere1 even within complex corporate networks. Transfer files from USB drives or memory cards using the slots on the printer, or scan from a nearby Epson printer, then email or share files online.
- Epson E-mail Print – Remotely send documents and photos from any email-enabled device directly and simultaneously to multiple Epson printers with unique email addresses for printed output from 4” x 6” up to 11”x 17.”
- Epson Remote Print – Streamline productivity without worrying about formatting or adjusting fonts. Simply print remotely from a computer or laptop to an Epson email-enabled printer anywhere in the world using any Windows or Mac application with a print function.
In addition, Epson Connect incorporates an optional level of security to ensure users have the ability to reduce unwanted prints and eliminate spam. By enabling an “Approved Sender’s List,” users can specify the email addresses or email domains that are allowed to print unattended to the printer's email address.
All Epson Connect solutions are available now with the exception of Epson Remote Print for Mac, which will be available for download mid-October. The Epson Creative Print App is now available for use with select Epson Expression all-in-one models. Visit www.epson.com/connect for more information on mobile printing capabilities, supported models and availability.
Adorama carries Epson printers.
Post Date: 9/19/2013 7:37:15 AM CT Posted By: Sean