"Once in a while, when you are ready to resign things to being just the way they are and give up, the planets align, the clouds part, and the gods smile down, making everything right again. Well, perhaps I’m exaggerating a bit. However, my initial testing of the new firmware Version 1.01 for the Canon mount Sigma 120-300 f2.8 “Sports” lens is complete and things are looking good.
To briefly recap, my issue with the lens and original Version 1.00 firmware was basically two-fold. First, despite all sixteen adjustable focus points available in the Sigma Optimization Pro software being perfectly calibrated using the USB dock, the lens would badly front-focus in between the 200mm and 300mm settings. Second, the lens required completely different Optimization Pro focus parameter settings for the 1D Mark III and 1D Mark IV compared to Canon’s other bodies like the 7D, 5D Mark II and 50D. This meant my lens was either “set up” to work with my 1D bodies, or my other bodies, but never ALL my camera bodies at once. I began my testing with a very methodical approach. I needed to find out first if the new firmware fixed the issue of the different parameter requirements for the different bodies. I also wanted to get a baseline to see how different my new Optimization Pro setting would be from my old ones, and I wanted to do it for all my different camera models."
From the looks of post, JerseyShooter is quite impressed by the new firmware. Check out his full post for all the details.
* This customization of Full-time MF function is only available for the SIGMA 50mm F1.4 DG HSM A014.
* The Full-time MF function will be available after the SIGMA USB DOCK firmware is updated to Ver1.01 or above.
* The function limits will vary from on the camera you use.
Download: SIGMA Optimization Pro Ver1.2.0
SIGMA USB DOCK Firmware Update
Thank you for purchasing and using our products.
We are pleased to inform you the SIGMA USB DOCK Firmware Update is now available.
This firmware update allows you to use the SIGMA USB DOCK with the SIGMA 50mm F1.4 DG HSM A014. If you have the products mentioned below, please start up SIGMA Optimization Pro and then operate lens firmware update.
Benefits of this firmware update
* Please update SIGMA Optimization Pro to Ver1.2.0 in addition to updating the SIGMA USB DOCK Firmware to Ver1.01 before using it with SIGMA 50mm F1.4 DG HSM.
In order to update the USB Dock firmware, please connect the device to your computer using the USB cable and then open Sigma Optimization Pro.
B&H carries the Sigma USB Dock and has the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art Lens available for preorder.
* This customization of Full-time MF function is only available for the SIGMA 50mm F1.4 DG HSM.
* There may be limitations in the function depending on cameras.
Expected Date of Service:
From April 18, 2014
SIGMA Optimization Pro Download
B&H has the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art Lens available for preorder. They also carry the Sigma USB Dock (review).
* For some discontinued products, we may not be able to offer the firmware update due to the discontinuation of related repair parts. Please contact your nearest authorized Sigma distributor for further details.
* Please refer to the link below for further information on the firmware update for the Nikon D5300
For those customers in need of the latest firmware, we are going to provide a free firmware update from December 4th. For discontinued products, please contact your nearest authorized Sigma distributor for further details. Also, for lenses that are compatible with the SIGMA USB DOCK, it is possible to update the firmware via SIGMA Optimization Pro.
Local Service Center
You can contact your nearest authorized Sigma distributor for the firmware update. Details of your nearest authorized Sigma distributor can be found on the following web page.
Deals & Shopping News
Photography Deals (No Deals)
Canon Deals Nikon Deals Sigma Deals Tamron Deals Tokina Deals Adobe Deals Memory Card Deals In Stock Notices
Canon Preorders Nikon Preorders
Canon Refurbished Nikon Refurbished
Canon Rebates Nikon Rebates
Tamron Rebates Sigma Rebates