As the long-awaited Canon full frame mirrorless camera line is beginning to fill out, the first two models are worth comparing.
The Canon EOS R vs. Canon EOS RP comparison
using the site's specifications tool shows most of the differences between these cameras.
Those and a handful of others are included below.
EOS R Advantages
EOS RP Advantages
- Higher resolution: 30.4 MP vs. 26.2 (6720 x 4480 vs. 6240 x 4160 px)
- Dual Pixel RAW file format vs. no
- More dynamic range
- More AF points: 5,655 vs. 4,779
- Lower AF working range: EV -6 vs. EV -5
- Faster shutter speed available: 1/8000 vs. 1/4000
- Faster X-Sync shutter speed: 1/200 vs. 1/180
- Larger, higher resolution EVF: 0.5" (1.27cm) OLED color EVF, 3.69M dots (with more nose relief) vs. 0.39" (1.0cm) OLED color EVF, 2.36M dots
- Larger, higher resolution LCD: 3.15" (8.01cm), approx. 2.10M dots vs. 2.95" (7.50cm) approx. 1.04 million dots
- Better LCD Coatings: Anti-reflection and anti-smudge vs. anti-smudge only
- Faster continuous frame rate: 8 fps vs. 5 fps, with AF tracking: 5 fps vs. 4 fps
- Has a programmable Multi-Function Bar vs. no
- Has a top LCD vs. dedicated mode dial
- Better video capabilities including higher frame rate video and more compression options: Up to 10-bit Canon Log vs. 8-bit no log
- USB 3.0 vs. 2.0
- Longer battery life rating: approx. 370 shots vs. 250
- Higher shutter durability rating: 200,000 vs. 100,000
- Closes shutter on power-off vs. no
- Has access to a PC Terminal via Battery Grip BG-E22 vs. no
- Has a battery grip available vs. extension grip
- Significantly lower price
- Smaller size: 5.22 x 3.35 x 2.76" vs. 5.35 x 3.87 x 3.32" (132.5 x 85.0 x 70.0mm vs. 135.8 x 98.3 x 84.4mm)
- Lighter weight: 17.1 vs. 23.3 oz (485 vs. 660g)
- Has focus bracketing vs. no
- Has Eye-tracking Servo AF vs. not until later in 2019
- More Diopter Correction: -4 to +2 m-1 vs. -4 to +1 m-1
The EOS R is a higher-end model and that shows very strongly in its list of advantages.
However, the first three RP advantages are very significant ones.
Those on a tight budget are going to be favoring the RP.
While the EOS R is itself a relatively small and light camera, the RP easily bests it in these categories and those traveling, hiking, etc. may be willing to forgo the R's benefits to also give up some size and weight.
More Information: Canon EOS R
| Canon EOS RP
Get Your EOS R or RP Here:
Canon EOS R: B&H
Canon EOS RP: B&H