Eye-Fi Introduces 32GB Mobi Wireless Memory Card
MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif., October 21, 2013
— Eye-Fi the global leader in wireless memory cards, today announced the addition of a 32GB version of its Eye-Fi Mobi card. Perfect for proud parents, travel aficionados, sports and food lovers, Eye-Fi is the easiest way to add WiFi to a camera. Photo enthusiasts everywhere get reliable, fast transfer of photos and videos directly to the mobile devices they love — no wires, no fuss, and no delay in showing off the highest quality photos whenever and wherever.
Photos evoke such strong memories: your child walking for the first time, that road trip after college, the day you said "I do." Those amazing memories simply demand higher quality than a smartphone camera can offer. With Mobi 32GB, there's no need to compromise — greater storage capacity means every photo and video you want to capture is also available to share and enjoy from your mobile device.
How often do you discover images on your memory card leftover from last month? Last year? Mobi creates its own WiFi so images are uploaded to your smartphone or tablet as you take them. Photos and videos are ready when you are – for photo books, cards, prints or for anything you can imagine. For social sharers, editing and sharing memories with familiar apps like Facebook and Instagram, and text and email, are super simple because photos & videos are uploaded directly into the camera roll on the device.
And just in time for the holidays, Eye-Fi is offering a free 8x10 inch framed canvas print with a qualified purchase of a Mobi 32GB directly from the Eye-Fi website. This limited-time promotion allows Mobi users to take & share beautiful photos anytime, and continue to enjoy a favorite memory with a gorgeous print at home.
"Today's photographer wants the ability to take great photos, but without compromising the convenience of mobile access and apps," said Matt DiMaria, CEO of Eye-Fi. "The success of Mobi has clearly delivered on that promise and we're thrilled to add capacity to an already well-loved product."
Here's how Eye-Fi Mobi 32GB works:
- Set up simply and instantly: Mobi has the simplest Eye-Fi card setup yet — no computer, no account and no cloud. Just download the free Eye-Fi app for iOS or Android, enter the Mobi card's unique 10-digit code, and the mobile device is paired. Use the same code to pair as many mobile devices as needed.
- Share in real-time: Full-resolution photos and videos instantly transfer from camera to a device's photo roll/gallery. From there, edit and share using the mobile apps you already love.
- Shoots in RAW/JPEG: Capture both RAW and JPEG. RAW stays on the card but JPEG transfers over the card's WiFi.
- Transfer anywhere: Built-in WiFi means no WiFi network, hotspot or internet connection is needed for pairing or transfer; Mobi literally captures photos and then uploads a copy them from camera to a mobile device whenever new content is detected.
- Works with the devices users already own (and love): As with other Eye-Fi cards, Mobi works with thousands of cameras, including hundreds of Eye-Fi connected cameras that have integrated Eye-Fi technology for improved usability. The Eye-Fi app can be downloaded for iOS and Android smartphones and tablets, including the Kindle Fire.
- Back up automatically: Photos and videos transfer as they're taken, so if anything happens to the camera, content is already safe on the mobile device.
- Exceptional quality and speed: Mobi reinforces Eye-Fi's commitment to provide state-of-the-art performance in SD memory. HD video, low light and fast action shots are easily captured with this Class 10, high-capacity card.
The 32GB Mobi card retails for $99.99 and is available now through retail and camera specialty stores nationwide. The Eye-Fi Mobi card is also available in 8GB for $49.99, or 16GB for $79.99.
Adorama carries the Eye-Fi 32GB Mobi Memory Card.
Canon EOS 1D X gets Exposure Compensation with Auto ISO & AF Enhancements in Upcoming Firmware Update
Canon has just announed a new firmware update for the Canon EOS 1D X and 1D C DSLR cameras. The 1D X will finally get a feature Bryan and I have been requesting for ages - exposure compensation with Auto ISO (in manual mode) - along with several other AF enhancements.
I recently asked Chuck Westfall, Technical Advisor for Canon, "As the 1D X and 5D III autofocus systems are so similar, does Canon plan on implementing these new AF features in the 5D III as well?" Chuck's response was as diplomatic as it was inconclusive - "Canon Japan hasn't made a decision on that yet."
I guess we'll just have to wait and see. If nothing else, I'd love to get Exposure Compensation with Auto ISO on my 5D III. [Sean]
From Canon: Canon Firmware Upgrades for the EOS-1D X and EOS-1D C Digital SLR Cameras Deliver Improved Creative Control and Convenience Firmware Version 2 for the EOS-1D X is Based on Extensive User Input and Provides More Efficient Autofocus Performance in Low Light, Custom Controls, and Improved User-Programmed Functionality MELVILLE, N.Y., October 22, 2013
– Canon U.S.A., Inc., a leader in digital imaging solutions, announces improvements in the functionality and convenient operation of the EOS-1D X Digital SLR camera and the EOS-1D C Digital SLR Cinema camera through new firmware scheduled to be available starting in January 2014 and November 2013, respectively. Firmware enhancements for the EOS-1D X Digital SLR camera are designed to provide photographers with greater creative freedom and speed, especially in sectors such as sports, wedding, nature/wildlife, and journalism, which often contain rapidly changing action, sometimes in low-light environments. Service enhancements for the EOS-1D C Digital SLR Cinema camera improve lens performance, lens status display, metadata storage, and audio recording.
“Canon constantly strives to provide our customers with advanced and innovative technology in our products,” noted Yuichi Ishizuka, executive vice president and general manager, Imaging Technologies & Communications Group, Canon U.S.A. “We understand the daily life of photographers, we listen closely to what they have to say, and we use their feedback in our constant efforts to improve existing products and develop new ones. The latest Canon firmware for the flagship EOS-1D X Digital SLR camera provides better automation to help photographers fine-tune how the camera operates moment-by-moment so users can concentrate on creativity and success. Filmmakers have also requested improved functionality for the EOS-1D C Digital SLR Cinema camera, and its new update delivers.” Improved Operability for the EOS-1D X
Developed as the ultimate Canon EOS camera, the EOS-1D X Digital SLR is designed with foresight that enables its performance to be periodically improved with new firmware upgrades, helping to ensure maximum long-term value for owners and users of the camera. These improvements are engineered to support and advance the evolving creative needs and business imperatives of professional photographers and committed high-end amateurs. The features provided by firmware version 2 are designed for more efficient automation that takes the task of changing settings away from the “heat of the moment” and enables photographers to concentrate on creativity and obtaining valuable shots. Firmware version 2 upgrades and operability additions include a total of 10 features that are now new or improved:
- AF Performance with Moving Subjects – For greater creative control, additional parameters have been added to AI Servo 2nd Image Priority, enabling users to adjust these settings for more accurate AF performance according to the situation at hand. Photographers can fine-tune the balance between prioritizing focus versus the framing rate for the second and subsequent shots in a burst.
- Enhanced AI Servo AF Performance in Low Light Conditions – The AI Servo focusing algorithm has been improved to allow more time for light sampling during AF activation prior to shutter release, enhancing AF performance in low-light situations. Additionally, initial AF control is now based on the new “+2 focus priority” setting of AI Servo 2nd Image Priority, which has higher distance measurement capabilities under low-light conditions. Upon full depression of the shutter button, settings from AI Servo 1st Image Priority take over and then settings from AI Servo 2nd Image Priority are applied on any subsequent images in the burst. This increases the probability that the first image in a burst sequence will be as sharp as possible.
- Improved Acceleration/Deceleration Tracking Parameters – To improve tracking performance of fast-moving subjects that fill the frame, additional parameters for acceleration/deceleration tracking in AI Servo AF have been added to provide photographers with more precise control when photographing rapidly moving subjects that accelerate or decelerate quickly or unexpectedly. In response to feedback from professional photographers, these new settings have been added to handle larger differences in speed (i.e., the rate of change in image magnification) compared to the previous firmware.
- Selection of Initial AF Point While Shooting in 61-Point Auto Selection AF – This new option in the AF Menu provides more continuity when switching to 61-Point Auto Selection AF from any other AF Point Selection mode. The option maintains the AF point selected from the previous Selection mode as a starting point for 61-Point Auto Selection AF. It also maintains the ability to change to a pre-programmed AF point when changing the Selection mode. This time-saving option is designed to help eliminate the need to stop and think, and helps photographers to customize their individual shooting style.
- AF Point Switching According to Camera Orientation – In addition to programming the EOS-1D X camera to automatically switch to a different AF point and area selection mode based on camera orientation, firmware version 2 adds the option of programming only the AF point according to camera orientation (horizontal, grip up and grip down). This new ability to select up to three different AF points according to camera orientation allows for greater customization of the camera to specific shooting styles.
- Expanded Minimum Shutter Speed in Auto ISO – In response to user feedback, this improved functionality in Auto ISO enables photographers to select a minimum shutter speed as high as 1/8000th of a second to freeze moving subjects.
- Exposure Compensation in Auto ISO with Manual Mode Set – This new function enables photographers to manually set a desired shutter speed and aperture, use Auto ISO to control the exposure, and use Exposure Compensation to adjust the exposure for challenging lighting conditions (e.g., a very dark or very bright background). This new function can be activated through the Quick Control Dial or by using the Main Dial while pressing the SET button.
- Toggling Between Alternate Camera Settings – EOS-1D X camera users can now toggle between three groups of camera settings instantly by pressing the shutter button, AE Lock button [*] or the AF-ON button. Selectable settings that can now be assigned to the AE Lock and AF-ON buttons via Custom Controls include:
- Currently selected AF point vs. pre-registered AF point
- AI Servo AF configuration sets (Case 1 through Case 6)
- One-Shot AF vs. AI Servo AF
- Currently selected drive mode vs. 14 fps Super High Speed drive mode
With these new options, photographers can reconfigure their EOS-1D X camera on the fly, while keeping their eye on the viewfinder to maintain concentration on the shot they are trying to get. For example, the camera could be set up for One-Shot AF and single shot drive mode on the shutter button, AI Servo AF in Case 1 with high-speed continuous drive mode on the AE Lock button, and AI Servo AF in Case 4 with super-high-speed 14 fps continuous drive mode on the AF-ON button.
- Same Exposure for New Aperture in Manual Mode – This new firmware feature provides users with the ability to maintain consistent exposure levels in Manual mode when the aperture changes, for example when a photographer shoots at maximum aperture with a variable-aperture lens (such as the Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM telephoto zoom) or when using a lens equipped with built-in extender (such as the EF 200-400mm f/4L IS USM Extender 1.4X). The feature gives users the option to have the camera adjust the shutter speed or the ISO to compensate for the aperture change.
- Display Protected Images Only – Users can now page through protected images only via an option on the main dial. This feature already exists with rated images, and is an expansion of that capability.
Enhancements for the EOS-1D C
A versatile, self-contained 4K cinema camera as well as a robust still photography camera, the Canon EOS-1D C will also benefit from a new service update that further enhances the performance of this unique imaging device.
- EF Lens Communication – The new service update for the EOS-1D C Digital SLR Cinema camera will enable Canon EF-mount Cinema lenses to store lens metadata in the video recorded by the camera. Furthermore, Canon EF-mount Cinema lenses will be supported by Peripheral Illumination and Chromatic Aberration Correction functions, helping to improve overall image quality.
- Audio Recording – In response to user requests, audio on the EOS-1D C camera has also been enhanced. Currently audio recording is limited to a MIC input, but the forthcoming service update will permit selection of LINE or MIC input, allowing use of a wider variety of external audio sources.
New Firmware Release Schedules and Installation Procedures
Firmware version 2 for the EOS-1D X Digital SLR camera is scheduled to be posted on the Canon U.S.A. website in January 2014. Users will be able to download and install the new firmware on their own, or have it installed by an authorized Canon Factory Service Center. For more information please visit: www.usa.canon.com/eos1dxfirmware.
The update for the Canon EOS-1D C Digital SLR Cinema camera is scheduled to be available November 2013, and will be installed at no charge as a service upgrade that requires the camera to be sent to an authorized Canon Factory Service Center. For more information please visit: www.usa.canon.com/CinemaEOSFirmwareUpdate.
Adorama carries the Canon EOS 1D X and EOS 1D C DSLR Cameras.
Posted to: Canon News
DateTime: 10/22/2013 3:50:28 AM CT Posted By: Sean
From Behind Oneida Falls, Ricketts Glen State Park
Anytime is a great time to visit Ricketts Glen State Park, but the fall is my favorite time. With cloudy weather promising to provide a giant softbox over this waterfall-heaven (22 named falls and perhaps hundreds of smaller falls) on Wednesday, I packed two of the world's best wide angle lenses on 5D Mark III bodies
, a telephoto zoom lens I was reviewing on the 60D
, a couple of other lenses, tripod, rain gear and other essentials (including food and water) totaling about 50 lbs. into my Lowepro Pro Trekker 400 AW Backpack
and headed to my favorite Pennsylvania state park for a long day of photography.
Not long after hitting the Ganoga Glen trail, I realized that the water flow was very low. Low flow at some waterfalls is a big problem, but the falls at Ricketts Glen simply provide different opportunities.
One such opportunity came at Oneida falls, the second falls encountered on this trail when leaving the Lake Rose trailhead parking lot. The water is typically falling over the entire width of this 13' cliff. On this day, access to the cliff was available, though precarious due to slippery rock with very narrow footholds.
Avoiding dripping water as best I could, I placed one foot on a tiny ledge just above the water and the other foot was preventing me from falling into the cliff (with my elbow assisting some of the time). Similarly, I positioned one fully-retracted tripod leg straight out to the left and fully-extended the other two legs downward to catch in small crevices in the rock face. Note that one reason to buy a strong tripod is that you sometimes need to use it for your own safety support.
This position let me shoot through the back of the falls and incorporate some fall foliage into the frame.
The camera was set to C2 mode – my standard custom landscape mode. I have this mode programmed to enable mirror lockup, the 2-second self-timer and long exposure noise reduction. My ISO defaults to 100 and exposure is set to manual.
A B+W XS-PRO circular polarizer filter
was used to cut the glare, especially noticeable on the water. I manually bracketed exposures slightly and used manual HDR to darken the colorful trees slightly.
This image was captured with what I consider to be one of the world's best landscape photography lenses, the Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5 L II Lens. It is phenomenally sharp and has little distortion. Another big advantage this lens has is the movements. In this example, I was able to tilt the lens slightly to the left to allow the very close foreground on the left and distant background on the right to both be in sharp focus without resorting to a more-diffraction-impacted narrower aperture.
In the end, a great lens
(and camera) along with low water flow yielded my favorite image of the day.
Fotodiox Announces New High-Intensity LED Lights
From Fotodiox: Waukegan, IL – October 17, 2013
– Fotodiox the leading manufacturer and distributor of high-quality photography and videography accessories, has announced the availability of its next generation LED light panels; the Fotodiox LED-312D, LED-312DS, and LED-1024AL. The new LED lights are compact and powerful, while remaining lightweight – perfect for both studio and location shooting. Fotodiox's LED panels generate little heat, use little power, and now the reduced bulk of these newest lights maximize portability and mounting possibilities to capture the perfect shot.
The three new LED panels feature all-metal barn doors to shape and control the light, while a locking system keeps the barn doors in place, no matter how the light is mounted. The lights feature a backlit LCD panel that displays the percentage of light intensity and remaining battery life, to avoid shutdown during the most important photo shoots.
“The new added features, especially the barn doors, make the new equipment ideal for photographers and videographers who want more control, while remaining compact and lightweight to carry on location,” said Kelvin Luo, CEO of Fotodiox. “Our original LED lights were a big hit with both amateur and professional photographers and videographers, and we’re proud to be releasing the next generation of these high-intensity lighting solutions.” Fotodiox LED-312D
The Fotodiox LED-312D is a versatile professional grade LED light that comes equipped with 312 ultra-bright 5600k LEDs. The powerful daylight balanced LEDs offer a full spectrum of soft light, with full control over the light level from 10-100%. The light is equipped for fully cordless operation with the included lithium-ion battery packs and charger. A rear-mounted backlit LED status display shows both the remaining battery level and the light's brightness level.
Control and shape the light with the new, all-metal barn doors. Two included diffusion panels securely lock into place – one panel softens the light even more, and the second panel is for matching the 312-D's light's color temperature to match tungsten light sources. Fotodiox LED-312DS
The Fotodiox LED-312DS is an equally powerful and professional LED light panel that shares the form factor of the 312D. Additionally, the 312-DS features a dedicated control to change the light’s color temperature from 5600K daylight to 3200K tungsten color temperature, or any level in between.
The light level is fully dimmable from 10-100%, as indicated by the rear-mounted backlit LCD status display. In addition to the real-time battery level monitor, you can also see the current color temperature output for maximum control of lighting settings. Fotodiox Pro LED-1024AL
The Fotodiox Pro LED-1024AL comes with over 1,000 powerful LEDs in a compact (12'” x 12”) form. The 5600K daylight LED panel is lightweight, making it the ideal versatile and powerful lighting solution whether in the studio or on location. The complete kit includes the 1024AL light, all-metal mounting yoke, locking diffusion panel, AC adapter, and a custom-fitted soft shell case with handle.
Availability and Pricing
All three of the new Fotodiox LED upgrades are available for immediate sale, and each light kit comes with a 24 month manufacturer warranty.
Amazon carries the Fotodiox LED-312D
and Pro LED-1024AL
RØDE Announces the RØDEGrip and RØDEGrip+ Mounts for iPhone
The new RØDEGrip is a versatile mounting chassis and pistol-grip for the Apple iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S that provides a wide range of integration options for iOS content creators.
Users are able to mount their iPhone to a camera using the integrated shoe-mount, mount to a boom stand using the incorporated 3/8” thread, operate handheld using the ergonomics of the pistol grip, or even use the RØDEGrip as a desk stand for their device. The RØDEGrip is also the perfect companion for the iXY stereo microphone, allowing users to mount their iPhone in a fixed location while recording.
Constructed from durable ABS plastic, the RØDEGrip assembles in seconds and folds down to a compact size for transport and storage. Three mounting points are provided for the camera-shoe attachment, to allow the user to rotate and move the iPhone into a number of orientations to suit the desired application.
A deluxe version, titled the RØDEGrip+ is also available, adding a set of high-quality camera lenses that screw securely into place over the iPhone’s built-in camera when mounted in the cradle. The supplied macro, 180° fish-eye and 2X telephoto lenses give the user a much wider range of creativity when recording video with their iPhone.
Both the RØDEGrip and RØDEGrip+ are shipping now. Adorama
carries RØDE products
Hoya Announces ND10 Graduated Neutral Density Filter
OCTOBER 17, 2013 - Kenko Tokina USA, Inc. is pleased to announce the new Hoya GRADUATED ND10 graduated neutral density filter.
The GRADUATED ND 10 balances exposure between the lightest and darkest areas of a scene allowing better tone and detail to be recorded in these areas of the image.
The Hoya GRADUATED ND 10 is darker at the top giving that area a 3-stop light reduction and then fading evenly to a 1 stop light reduction at the bottom. This creates more balanced exposure between the lighter and darker areas of a scene, especially useful for photos that include the sky. The aluminum filter frame rotates so the darkest area can be positioned as needed.
The Hoya GRADUATED ND 10 filter uses a Hoya super clear optical glass in a wedge layer that is matched and perfectly bonded to a ND filter glass wedge layer to create the gradual ND effect.
Neutral density filters are designed to reduce the amount of light entering your camera lens and do not have any other effect on the image. Reducing the amount of light allows for the use of wider apertures or slower shutter speeds for creative and dramatic affect in bright lighting conditions.
Size Availability: 52mm, 58mm, 77mm, 82mm
Neutral density: ND2X to ND10X across the filter
How Many DSLR Cameras Do You Need?
The results from the "How many DSLR cameras do you currently have?" poll are in. I'm today sharing these results with a twist in the article: How Many DSLR Cameras Do You Need?
Note that the infographic included here may be freely republished in un-altered form. But sorry, copying of the other text on that page is not permitted.
Nikon Issues Notice Regarding Support for EN-EL14a Li-ion Battery
This is an announcement regarding support for the new EN-EL14a Rechargeable Li-ion Battery scheduled for release. We plan to release firmware updates that will enable support for the EN-EL14a with the following products in the middle of November 2013.
- Nikon D5200, D5100, D3200, D3100 digital SLR cameras
- COOLPIX P7700 compact digital camera
Though a firmware download enabling support for the EN-EL14a will not be released for the COOLPIX P7000 or P7100, the battery can be used with these cameras. However, the camera’s battery indicator may quickly reach the half-charge point on its display. The COOLPIX P7800 already supports the EN-EL14a.
Adorama carries the Nikon EN-EL14a battery.
Posted to: Nikon News
DateTime: 10/17/2013 9:52:32 AM CT Posted By: Sean
Canon U.S.A. Partners with New Film by Ron Howard, RUSH
From Canon USA: Canon Launches RUSH: The Photo Contest, a Photography Challenge with Time Parameters MELVILLE, N.Y., October 17, 2013
– Canon U.S.A., Inc., a leader in digital imaging solutions, has expanded its relationship with two-time Academy Award-winning director Ron Howard for his recently released film from Universal Pictures, RUSH, which builds upon the imaginative ways that Canon products are used in Hollywood. RUSH hit theaters in Los Angeles and New York City on September 20, and it arrived across the country on September 27.
As a partner on RUSH, Canon's variety of cameras and lenses were utilized to film the epic action-drama. The Canon brand is also organically integrated throughout the film, which powerfully depicts Formula 1TM racing in the 1970s, when Canon was a sponsor of racetracks and the drivers. A number of Canon cameras were used in filming RUSH, including the Canon Cinema EOS C300 and Canon EOS 5D Mark III Digital SLR camera.
Howard (A Beautiful Mind, Frost/Nixon) teamed once again with two-time Academy Award-nominated writer Peter Morgan (Frost/Nixon, The Queen) on RUSH, a spectacular big-screen re-creation of the merciless and legendary 1970s Formula 1TM rivalry between gifted English playboy James Hunt (Chris Hemsworth of The Avengers, Thor) and his disciplined Austrian opponent, Niki Lauda (Daniel Brühl of Inglourious Basterds, The Bourne Ultimatum).
Engaging consumers further, Canon will launch RUSH: The Photo Contest, a two-week photography challenge on Canon's Facebook page, now live. Playing off the speed of the film, the user-generated photo contest asks participants to complete ten various photo-based challenges within specific time parameters (e.g., "You have one hour to shoot for the theme: Dedication. Go. Long Live the Rush.") Each photo challenge winner will win a $250 online store credit to be used at the Canon Online Store, and Ron Howard will select one Grand Prize Winner to receive a Canon EOS 70D EF-S 18-135mm IS STM Camera Kit. Please see www.bit.ly/18iuwtA
for the Official Rules. The contest will live on www.Facebook.com/CanonUSA
"When working on RUSH, it was a natural fit to partner with Canon as they enable creativity among all artists with their advanced camera and lens technology," said Howard.
Posted to: Canon News
DateTime: 10/17/2013 9:23:53 AM CT Posted By: Sean
Hoya Introduces PROND Filters
OCTOBER 16, 2013 - Kenko Tokina USA, Inc. is pleased to announce the new Hoya PROND line of neutral density filters with ACCU-ND technology.
The ACCU-ND technology in the Hoya PROND filters yields a truly neutral color balance that will not add any noticeable color-cast to your images. The Hoya PROND series is aimed at the still photography and HDSLR video markets. The series provides 9 filters from two stop to 10 stop light reduction.
The Metallic ACCU-ND coating on the PROND filters do not color shift as you move from one density to the next, a common problem with other series of neutral density filters. Now you can set your white balance once and have the same color balance even if you need to change filters due to changes in lighting, or for creative effect.
The PROND filters use Hoya’s exclusive clear optical glass that has a metallic ACCU-ND coating front and back to create the neutral density affect.
Neutral density filters are designed to reduce the amount of light entering your camera lens and should not have any other effect on the image. Reducing the amount of light allows for the use of wider apertures or slower shutter speeds for creative and dramatic effect in bright lighting conditions.
All Hoya PROND filters have a low-profile one piece aluminum frame. The thin frame keeps the glass secure and parallel to the sensor while allowing it to be used with super-wide angle lenses
Nikon Announces AF-S NIKKOR 58mm f/1.4G Lens
From Nikon: A fast normal lens for which advanced optical design technologies have been adopted for both superior rendering of point light sources and beautiful bokeh with smooth focusing transition from blurred to sharp
TOKYO - Nikon is pleased to announce the release of the AF-S NIKKOR 58mm f/1.4G, a fast normal lens compatible with Nikon FX-format digital SLR cameras.
The AF-S NIKKOR 58mm f/1.4G is a lens that makes the most of advanced optical design technologies long cultivated by Nikon to achieve high reproduction capability of point light sources even at the maximum aperture, and natural depth of subjects utilizing smooth and beautiful bokeh characteristics. With shooting of distant night landscapes, the lens minimizes the sagittal coma flare that makes a point light source look like a bird with its wings spread to render point light sources as sharp points with no distortion or fringes across the entire frame, even at maximum aperture, for clear and crisp night landscape shots.
In addition, the AF-S NIKKOR 58mm f/1.4G renders subjects impressively with beautiful bokeh that moderately changes as the distance from the sharply focused point increases for natural depth that makes near human subjects or still objects appear more three dimensional.
What's more, despite being a fast lens, not only is light falloff controlled for natural brightness across the entire frame, even at the maximum aperture of f/1.4, for sharp rendering of objects at infinity, but adoption of Nano Crystal Coat effectively reduces flare and ghost.
This single lens responds to the demands of professional and advanced amateur photographers looking to achieve the images they intend with all types of photos, from night landscapes to impressive photos utilizing bokeh. AF-S NIKKOR 58mm f/1.4G Primary Features
- A fast normal lens with a focal length of 58mm and maximum aperture of f/1.4 that utilizes advanced optical design technologies
- Minimization of sagittal coma flare for high reproduction capability of point light sources as sharp points across the entire frame
- Sharp, high-resolution images can be reproduced even at the maximum aperture
- Original lens characteristics that provide natural depth reproduction with which the degree of bokeh moderately changes as the distance from the sharply focused point increases
- Controlled light falloff retains natural brightness across the entire frame even at the maximum aperture of f/1.4
- Nano Crystal Coat effectively reduces flare and ghost
The AF-S NIKKOR 58mm f/1.4G was developed as a lens that offers new photographic creativity possible only with NIKKOR lenses.
Point light source reproduction capability with superior resolution and no distortion or fringes was improved with further development of the concept behind the Ai Noct Nikkor 58mm f/1.2 (released in 1977), which enabled rendering of point light sources as sharp points, as well as adoption of advanced optical design technologies based on 80 years of Nikon know-how and optical technologies. Further, we also adopted a design concept based on the reproduction of three-dimensional subjects as natural images with depth in two-dimensional photography for a "three-dimensionally high-fidelity lens". As a result, the lens also offers beautiful bokeh capabilities.
This exclusive reproduction capability expands the ways in which users express themselves for positioning that distinguishes it from other lenses.
Adorama has the Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 58mm f/1.4G Lens available for preorder.
Posted to: Nikon News
DateTime: 10/17/2013 12:00:30 AM CT Posted By: Sean
Nikon Announces D5300 DSLR Camera & Zoom/Focus Assist Lever NAL-1
From Nikon: The best image quality and definition in its class enabled by an effective pixel count of 24.2-million pixels, no optical low-pass filter, and the new EXPEED 4 image-processing engine. An entry-level model equipped with a vari-angle monitor, and the first Nikon digital SLR camera to offer built-in Wi-Fi and GPS functions. October 17 -TOKYO
- Nikon Corporation is pleased to announce the release of the D5300, a Nikon DX-format digital SLR camera.
The D5300 is Nikon's latest entry-level model. It offers an effective pixel count of 24.2-million pixels and is equipped with a Nikon DX-format CMOS sensor with no optical low-pass filter, as well as the new high-performance EXPEED 4 image-processing engine. It is Nikon's first digital SLR camera to offer built-in wireless LAN (Wi-Fi) and GPS functions, which enable simple sharing of high-quality images captured with the D5300 and NIKKOR lenses offering superior rendering performance via a smart device. These functions also allow users to look back on routes taken on vacation or with outdoor activities using a log feature that is part of the built-in GPS function.
The D5300 is also designed with a monocoque structure made of a new material that enables a smaller and lighter body while maintaining the necessary strength and durability. The camera is also equipped with a number of features that support various shooting situations, including a 3.2-inch, approximately 1037k-dot vari-angle monitor with wide viewing angle that enables flexible shooting from a variety of angles, a full-HD movie recording function that supports recording of smooth 1920 x 1080/60p movies, and a Special Effects mode with nine options that can be applied to photos and movies with shooting for a variety of creative effects. D5300 Primary Features An effective pixel count of 24.2-million pixels and a Nikon DX-format CMOS sensor with no optical low-pass filter, as well as the latest image-processing engine, EXPEED 4, for the best image quality and definition in its class
The D5300 offers an effective pixel count of 24.2-million pixels and is equipped with a DX-format CMOS image sensor developed exclusively by Nikon. It supports a broad range of standard sensitivities, from ISO 100 to ISO 12800, as well as additional expansion up to ISO 25600 equivalent (Hi 1), for high-definition images exhibiting very little noise with shooting at a broad range of sensitivities. In addition, the latest image-processing engine, EXPEED 4, optimized to be even faster for high-performance digital SLR cameras, provides significantly better results with noise reduction (NR), auto white balance, color reproduction characteristics, and tone processing. What's more, the absence of a low-pass filter maximizes the superior resolution of the high pixel count and rendering capabilities of NIKKOR lenses. Built-in Wi-Fi for transmitting high-quality images to a smart device for simple sharing
As Nikon's first digital SLR camera equipped with a built-in Wi-Fi function, high-quality images with an effective pixel count of 24.2-million pixels captured from a variety of angles using the flexible vari-angle monitor can be transferred to a smart device for sharing with others*1. This expands the ways in which images are enjoyed after they are taken by enabling immediate image transfer for sharing photos with family and friends via blogs or social networking sites anytime, anywhere.
- Transfer function: Images captured by the D5300, or already saved to a memory card inserted in the D5300, can be transferred to a smart device over a wireless connection. Transferred images can be viewed in the smart device display, or uploaded to a blog or social networking site. In addition, the size at which images are transferred to a smart device can be selected from two options in accordance with smart device storage capacity.
- Manual upload function: Users can select images to be uploaded to a smart device using the D5300 monitor display. In situations or environments that do not sufficiently support immediate image upload, or when a smart device is not readily available, the camera can be used to specify images, and image file size, to be uploaded to the smart device at a later time.
- Remote shooting function: The D5300's live view display is shown in the smart device display, enabling remote control over shooting. The camera's live view shooting display is shown in the smart device display, allowing users to accurately frame photos and predict results with remote control over shooting*2.
A built-in GPS function that records location data and tracks movement
The D5300 is Nikon's first digital SLR camera with a built-in GPS function, enabling recording of location data (longitude, latitude, altitude) with images. Collaboration with ViewNX 2, NIKON IMAGE SPACE, and commercial mapping software enables display of images where they were captured on maps, as well as sharing of images with location data. What's more, the A-GPS function makes detection of location data smoother. This capability allows users to look back on memories, or track their movement, on vacations or with outdoor activities by shooting location, and date and time of capture.
A monocoque structure made of a new material for a smaller and lighter body that is strong and durable
The D5300 is designed with a monocoque structure utilizing a new material. As the camera cover and body are formed with a rigid, integrated structure, there are fewer joints. This enables a smaller and lighter camera with a width of 125 mm, height of 98 mm, and depth of 76 mm, and weighing just 530 g, all while maintaining the necessary strength and durability.
A 3.2-in., 1037k-dot vari-angle LCD monitor with wide viewing angle for simple shooting from any angle
Adoption of a larger 3.2-inch, approximately 1037k-dot LCD monitor with wide viewing angle ensures a crisp, clear display. The side-hinged vari-angle monitor opens from 0 to 180° to the side, and can be rotated up to 90° clockwise and up to 180° counter-clockwise when it is open. This enables shooting from a wide variety of angles, from low to high, and making even self portraits possible.
D-Movie function for recording full-HD 1920 x 1080 60p movies
The D5300 is equipped with a D-Movie function that supports recording of 1920 x 1080/60p movies. The combination of NIKKOR lenses, an effective pixel count of 24.2-million pixels, and the new EXPEED 4 image-processing engine provides movies with excellent resolution and very little in the way of noise, color aliasing, or moiré patterns. In addition, autofocusing during movie recording is possible using contrast-detect AF. When the focus mode is set to full-time-servo AF (AF-F) and AF-area mode is set to Subject-tracking AF, the camera automatically maintains focus on moving subjects. Manual movie settings are also available, allowing users to choose the desired shutter speed and ISO sensitivity in live view mode and with movie recording. Movie frame rate with full-HD recording can be selected from 24p, 25p, 30p, 50p, and 60p. In addition to recording of high-quality sound via the built-in stereo microphone, the optional Stereo Microphone ME-1 can also be used to record stereo sound.
Toy Camera Effect and HDR Painting added to Special Effects mode (total of 9 effects) for more creative expression with still images and movies
The D5300 is equipped with a Special Effects mode, with which effects can be selected and applied with recording of both still images and movies. Preview in the camera monitor before shooting or recording begins allows users to confirm the results of effect selection in real time. Users can choose from a total of nine special effects, including the seven built into the D5200 (Selective Color, Color Sketch, Miniature Effect, Night Vision, Silhouette, High Key, Low Key), as well as the new Toy Camera Effect and HDR Painting*. This allows users to easily enjoy dramatic effects like those seen in art and the movies. This mode was adopted to respond to the creative intent of users searching for a way to express their own unique style and creativity.
- Toy Camera Effect: Create photos and movies in which colors have been changed and edges have been shaded so that they appear to have been recorded with a toy camera. Users can adjust the vividness and degree of vignetting (peripheral shading) from three options each to suit their individual preferences.
- HDR Painting: The camera shoots two frames at different exposures and combines them, with processing that changes color tones, for HDR images with a painterly effect.
Designed with a firm grip using just one hand and available in 3 colors, including a new gray option
The D5300 grip is designed to fit comfortably in the palm of the hand for a firm hold using just one hand, making framing via both the optical viewfinder and the monitor's live view display easier. Further, in addition to the popular black and red colors, the D5300 is available in a new gray option. In addition, metal parts, such as the microphone cover and plate over the mode dial have a surface finish that gives the camera an elegant appearance.
Zoom/Focus Assist Lever NAL-1 primary features
The NAL-1 is a lever that enables smoother zooming and focusing when attached to the zoom ring or focus ring on a NIKKOR lens. It is especially convenient with movie recording.
Adorama has the Nikon D5300 DSLR Camera available for preorder.
Posted to: Nikon News
DateTime: 10/17/2013 12:00:12 AM CT Posted By: Sean
Sigma Officially Announces 24-105mm f/4 DG OS HSM Lens
Sigma has officially announced the 24-105mm f/4 DG OS HSM lens that they inadvertently posted to their website on Monday. Oddly enough, they don't mention a suggested retail price for it.
: RONKONKOMA, NY — October 16, 2013
— Sigma Corporation of America a leading researcher, developer, manufacturer and service provider of some of the world's most impressive lines of lenses, cameras and flashes, today announced its newest addition to the Sigma Art line of lenses for full-frame cameras, the 24-105mm F4 DG OS HSM.
True to its categorization as a Sigma Art lens, the new 24-105mm F4 DG OS HSM is designed for artistic expression and top-notch image quality. This versatile lens covers the basic shooting range from wide to medium tele with an inner focusing system that eliminates front lens rotation, enhancing the lens stability and allowing the use of circular polarizing filters. It also boasts a constant aperture of F4, and contains Sigma’s proprietary Optical Stabilizer (OS) technology to compensate for camera shake. Moreover, it was designed to surpass the required quality inspection of every Global Vision lens with Sigma’s own modulation transfer function (MTF) “A1” measuring system to create new optical standard to align with the high-spec cameras on today’s market.
“For many years, Sigma users have been seeking a standard zoom lens in this range,” said Mark Amir-Hamzeh, president of Sigma Corporation of America. “The 24-105mm F4 DG OS HSM is yet another example of Sigma listening to its users and delivering new and innovative products with the highest image quality.”
Amir-Hamzeh added that this new lens combines the largest possible fixed aperture to zoom ratio that will maintain optimal integrity for many kinds of photography, including landscapes, architecture, portraiture and still-life. With a minimum focusing distance of 45cm and a maximum magnification ratio of 1:4.6, this lens is also excellent for close-up photography.
High-performance glass elements, including SLD, FLD, which is equal to fluorite, and glass-molded single- and double-sided aspheric lenses have been included into the optical system to prevent aberration, field curvature, distortions and color aberration. The 24-105mm F4 DG OS HSM lens is also able to suppress chromatic aberration very effectively at the telephoto-end, and can achieve superior image quality throughout the zoom range. Unlike lenses with similar specifications, this lens overcomes low peripheral brightness. Although it is designed for full frame cameras, it also works with APS-C sensors, giving an increase to focal length.
The lens’ Hyper Sonic Motor (HSM) ensures a silent, high-speed auto focus function and enables full-time manual focusing capability. The 24-105mm is also compatible with Sigma’s USB dock allowing photographers to update its firmware and change focus parameters using Sigma's Optimization Pro software. It is also compatible with Sigma’s recently announced Mount Conversion Service. Lens Specifications:
|Lens Construction||19 elements in 14 groups|
|Angle of view (35mm equivalent)||84.1°-23.3°|
|Minimum focusing distance||45cm / 17.7in|
|Dimensions (Diameter x Length)||88.6mm x 109.4mm / 3.5in x 4.3in|
|Number of diaphragm blades||9 (rounded diaphragm)|
|Maximum magnification ratio||1:4.6|
|Weight||885g / 31.2oz|