Profoto Introduces Cordless, Off-Camera B1 Flash with TTL
From Profoto: Four years ago, Swedish lighting manufacturer Profoto challenged themselves to create the most easy to use yet powerful and versatile off-camera flash ever released. Today, the B1 is set for launch, together with a new TTL remote for Canon E-TTL II cameras.
“The B1 concept was born from a simple idea,” says Göran Marén, Product Manager at Profoto. “We wanted to make it as easy as possible to use an off-camera flash, but we wanted to do so without compromising the quality and versatility that photographers have come to expect from us. All the features of the B1 and the Air Remote TTL can be traced back to this single idea.”
The most notable of these features is the B1’s groundbreaking TTL function. This is a new, patent- pending invention from Profoto that integrates flash and camera. It works like this: you attach the Air Remote TTL unit to your camera’s hot shoe, you point and shoot with your camera, and the B1 automatically adjusts its output to provide you with a perfect exposure. Photographers who prefer adjusting the light themselves can switch to manual control by a simple button-press.
The Air Remote TTL is a small, hot shoe-mounted device that acts like a wireless link between camera and flash, supporting manual and TTL control of B1 lights in up to 3 individual groups. The remote is sold separately, so that photographers may choose the right remote for their camera. The Air Remote TTL-C for Canon cameras with E-TTL II support is launched together with the B1. The Air Remote TTL-N for Nikon cameras with i-TTL support will be available in 2014.
Another interesting feature is the fact that the B1 is completely cordless. Powered by an exchangeable battery and wirelessly synced and controlled with the Air system, it allows the photographer to bring the B1 anywhere and place it without regard to cable length. The battery will provide up to 220 full-power flashes, while the Air system has an operating range up to 300m (1,000ft).
The B1 is notably powerful for its compact size. Packed with 500Ws of light, it is about ten times as powerful as the average speedlight. This is enough to overpower the sun on a sunny day, or to light up larger sets or groups of people. The light output can be controlled in 1/10 f-stop steps over the entire 9 f-stop power range. The B1 is also equipped with a high-efficient LED modeling light, powerful enough to be used as a portable video light.
The speed of B1 is also worth noting, much thanks to the innovative Quick Burst. Quick Burst is a fully automatic feature built-into the B1, allowing the photographer to shoot up to 20 flashes per second at lower power setting. At full power, the B1 will recharge in less than two seconds.
As any other Profoto flash, the B1 is compatible with a wide assortment of Light Shaping Tools. More than 120 tools are available, each with its own distinct effect on light characteristics, distribution and output.
The B1 is officially released today, along with a range of accessories, such as the tailor-made BackPack M, a Quick Charger and a Car Charger.
Distribution has already started and the first products can be expected in stores during December this year. Adorama
carries Profoto gear
Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens - $779.99 (Compare at $829.00)
has the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens
) available for $779.99. Compare at $829.00.
Posted to: Canon News
DateTime: 11/5/2013 9:10:01 AM CT Posted By: Sean
Canon PIXMA PRO-100 Professional Inkjet Printer - $79.00 AR
has the Canon PIXMA PRO-100 Professional Inkjet Printer
available for $79.00 after $300.00 mail-in rebate
Printer comes with free Canon Photo Paper Semi Gloss 13 x 19" (50 Sheets). You must go through checkout to see reduced pricing.
Posted to: Canon News
DateTime: 11/5/2013 8:27:31 AM CT Posted By: Sean
X-Rite Announces Free Novemeber 2013 Webinars
North White Plains, NY – November 4, 2013
– X-Rite Photo Marketing announces its schedule of free November 2013 webinars that have been developed to address specific photography and color management topics and are designed to appeal to both professional and serious amateur photographers. During the month of November, X-Rite is offering 7 free webinars to help photographers gain new confidence and to learn quick, easy and powerful ways to enhance their photography and manage their workflow. The November webinars are designed to be informational as well as inspirational by offering photographers practical ways to improve their images. Webinar attendees will also have the opportunity to ask questions to the live trainers.
“Highlighting the X-Rite webinars schedule in November are sessions hosted by two X-Rite Coloratti members – Mark Wallace and Sally Wiener Grotta. These free webinars are special presentations in support of National Calibration Month by X-Rite,” said Joshua Fischer, Product Marketing Manager, X-Rite Photo Marketing. November 2013 Webinar Schedule Date:
Thursday, November 7th Time:
1:00 – 2:00 pm EST Title:
Producing Your Own Magazine Style Book Presenter:
Sally Wiener Grotta
American Hands is Coloratti Sally Wiener Grotta's ongoing narrative visual celebration of those individuals who are keeping alive the traditional trades that built our country's diverse culture. In this webinar Sally shares the workflow for creating a gorgeous glossy magazine-like journal for her American Hands project. From choosing the photographs, to preparing them, controlling the color with X-Rite solutions, and preparing the final layout for printing. Attendees will receive special webinar offers.
To register for the free 1:00 pm EST (11/7) webinar, visit: https://www2.gotomeeting.com/register/772229162 Date:
Thursday, November 14th Time:
1:00 – 2:00 pm EST Title:
Getting the Shot: A Conversation with Nature Photography Icons Marc Muench, Rick Sammon and AndyWilliams Presenter:
In this live streaming webinar hosted by Joe Brady, three nature photography icons will discuss their techniques to be sure they come home with those "once in a lifetime" shots. Marc Muench, Rick Sammon, and Andy Williams travel the globe capturing breathtaking shots. They will share some of their tips and techniques with webinar attendees in a relaxed conversational format.
Here's just some of what they will discuss:
- "Know" where you're planning to go
- Anticipate the opportunity
- Stay focused on the image
- Control your color workflow
- Take advantage of serendipity
These nature photography greats will also take questions live. Join us for this rare opportunity to experience these three friends up close and personal as you learn how to get the shot. Attendees will receive special webinar offers.
No pre-registration is necessary for this free webinar. Simply click on the following link at 1:00 pm EST (11/14) and follow the on-screen instructions:
Adorama carries X-Rite products.
Canon PIXMA MX452 Printer - $69.99 with Free Shipping & Movie Tickets (Compare at $78.98)
The Canon Store
has the Canon PIXMA Office All-In-One MX452 Printer
available for $69.99 with free shipping and two free Regal movie tickets. Compare at $78.98 without movie tickets.
Posted to: Canon News
DateTime: 11/5/2013 7:17:55 AM CT Posted By: Sean
Surprise! Nikon Announces Retro FX-Format Df Camera
After no less than six teaser videos
, Nikon has finally announced the camera it's been hinting at...
From Nikon: Photo Pros and Enthusiasts Alike Will Embrace the Lightweight FX-Format Df D-SLR, Which Strikes the Ideal Balance of Classic Iconic Style and Advanced Imaging Technology
MELVILLE, N.Y. – The new Nikon Df is a modern classic designed for those who have felt a connection to their camera, who revel in the idea of going out to photograph an unfamiliar location, and who know the effort and ultimate satisfaction that is part of getting the shot. Announced today, the Nikon Df is a unique, advanced-level D-SLR that harmonizes Nikon heritage and modern performance in a lightweight and very capable FX-format camera. The new Df pays homage to the enduring style and controls of Nikon’s distinguished “F” series of 35mm film cameras, yet features technology similar to Nikon’s professional flagship D4 D-SLR. Released alongside the similarly styled AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8G Special Edition lens, Nikon’s newest FX-format D-SLR presents a versatile and reliable option to help passionate photographers truly achieve their creative vision.
“Nikon cameras have played an important role in documenting world history for the better part of 50 years, and have earned their position as a reliable tool that pros and enthusiasts can count on. The Nikon Df represents much more than a storied legacy of cameras; it’s more about giving the user a chance to truly enjoy the experience of taking amazing images,” said Masahiro Horie, Director of Marketing and Planning, Nikon Inc. “The design is unwavering, and the features are the latest in Nikon imaging technology. The Df brings together the best of yesterday and today for advanced full frame photographers.” A Classically Styled, Thoroughly Modern Masterpiece
From a robust feel, to mechanical dials and finely detailed craftsmanship, the Df embodies the very best of Nikon’s photographic legacy. The classically styled camera recalls design cues such as a recognizable pentaprism and top cover, which is now constructed of durable, lightweight magnesium alloy. The top of the camera features elegant yet sophisticated mechanical controls for settings, letting users feel the tactile reassurance of adjustments, such as a familiar click stop for shutter speed adjustment. Additional dedicated dials also control ISO, exposure compensation, release mode and exposure mode, while modern controls are also easily accessible. The intuitive control layout allows for quick and confident setting adjustment, yet retains a solid operational experience that “feels like a Nikon camera.”
The Df has been designed with an emphasis on familiar intricate details made famous from previous generations, including the leather-textured top and grip, along with the body mounted shutter button with a threaded release port. The design also recalls the slenderness of the previous generation’s cameras, making this the smallest and lightest FX-format camera in Nikon’s lineup.
It isn’t all about good looks though, as this enduring design is coupled with legendary performance to create a very capable and extremely appealing FX-format offering for professionals and enthusiasts. The 16.2-megapixel FX-format CMOS sensor of the Df is inherited from Nikon’s professional flagship D-SLR, the D4. The large 36 x 23.9mm CMOS sensor is praised for its ability to produce amazing image quality in a wide variety of lighting conditions. Whether shooting landscapes, wildlife or weddings, the frames captured with the Df exhibit amazing clarity, accurate color and a broad dynamic range. In addition, Nikon’s exclusive EXPEED 3 image processing engine helps propel image quality, yielding images with a natural color and depth, all while enhancing subtle and nuanced tones.
Additionally, like the professional Nikon D4, the Df performs well in a wide variety of challenging lighting conditions with an exceptionally wide ISO range from 100 to 12,800, expandable to a staggering ISO 204,800. The combination of low noise and wide range make this an appealing camera to take on the challenges faced by photojournalists and event photographers, as well as those who enjoy the pursuit of extracting otherwise impossible images using natural light. A Feature Set for Passionate Photographers
The Nikon Df is engineered to enhance the experience of taking photos and represents a culmination of decades of experience and feedback from photographers in the field, the studio and the sidelines. From its proven AF system to modern connectivity and legacy lens compatibility, the Df contains the century’s best photographic features for an enjoyable all-day shooting experience.
- AF System: The convenience and precision of Nikon’s 39-point AF system is proof-positive of the benefits of modern technology. With 39 selectable AF points throughout the frame for precise focus, the Df also features nine cross-type sensors, and seven AF points capable of working down to f/8. Users can also choose from a variety of AF area modes to match their shooting style: 9-point, 21-point, 39-point, 39-point with 3D Tracking and Auto Area AF.
- Get the shot with 2016-Pixel 3D Matrix Metering and Scene Recognition System: This Nikon system analyzes each shooting scenario and determines proper camera settings, resulting in even exposures, accurate white balance and precise AF. To capture action sports, wildlife and other fast moving subjects, the Df has a continuous burst shooting rate of up to 5.5 frames-per-second (fps).
- Compose with a 3.2-inch LCD Display and Glass Pentaprism Viewfinder: Users can easily compose through the high-resolution LCD screen or the bright optical viewfinder. The LCD screen has 921K-dot resolution, making it easy for users to adjust additional settings, review images or compose using Live View. Using the glass optical viewfinder, users will enjoy 100 percent accuracy and a bright field of view. What’s more, the shooting data presented through the viewfinder has also been updated and digitized.
- Connect and Share Instantly: Another modern touch allows users to connect and share their images instantly using the optional WU-1a Wireless Mobile Adapter*(1). By connecting to a mobile device, users can download and share images or remotely fire the camera.
- Features for Creativity: Photographing dramatic monochrome or vivid landscapes is easier with Nikon’s Picture Controls, which allow for the customization of color, saturation and tone. The Df also features built-in High Dynamic Range (HDR) to combine multiple shots with enhanced tonal range, and two to five-frame auto-bracketing. For maximum control, images can also be captured in JPEG, TIFF or RAW file formats.
- Support for a Storied NIKKOR Legacy: In addition to being compatible with all current AF, AF-S, DX and AF-D NIKKOR lenses, the Df is also compatible with classic Ai and non-Ai NIKKOR glass. Thanks to a new metering coupling lever located on the bayonet, the user has the ability to once again enjoy their lens collections with renewed functionality. Full-aperture metering is also supported.
- Accessory System Support: The Df is compatible with Nikon’s Creative Lighting System (CLS), letting users take advantage of i-TTL exposure or fire multiple units remotely using a Speedlight commander. To remotely trigger the shutter, the camera also supports the new WR remote system, as well as the threaded AR-3 cable release, which screws in to the shutter button in the traditional style.
A Classic FX-Format Special Edition NIKKOR Prime
The new AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8G Special Edition lens is the result of classic NIKKOR styling combined with today’s optics to create the ideal focal length companion lens for the Df. The design honors original NIKKOR Ai lenses, with colors, texture, and an aluminum mounting ring that is mated to the style of the Df. This lens is ideal for everyday portraiture, landscapes and casual photography, but offers a wide aperture and seven-blade diaphragm for natural image blur and a dramatic depth of field. Despite the timeless design, the 50mm f/1.8G is created with modern AF-S design benefits to give photographers rapid response, quiet operation and excellent sharpness and clarity throughout the frame.
Nikon Df DSLR Camera Body - Adorama | Amazon
Nikon Df with 50mm f/1.8G Lens - Adorama | Amazon
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G SE Lens - Adorama | Amazon
Check out Adorama's first look at the camera.
See the Nikon Df sample pictures.
Posted to: Nikon News
DateTime: 11/5/2013 2:13:25 AM CT Posted By: Sean
Refurbished Canon PowerShot S100 Digital Camera - $189.00 (Compare at $301.00 New)
has the Refurbished Canon PowerShot S100 Digital Camera
available for $189.00 with free shipping. Compare at $301.00 new.
Posted to: Canon News
DateTime: 11/4/2013 3:38:57 PM CT Posted By: Sean
Lowepro Photo Hatchback 22L AW Backpack - $69.00 Shipped (Reg. $99.99)
has the Lowepro Photo Hatchback 22L AW Backpack
available for $69.00 with free shipping. Regularly $99.99.
Refurbished Nikon 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED AF-S DX VR Lens - $229.00 (Compare at $396.95 New)
has the Refurbished Nikon 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED AF-S DX VR Lens
available for $229.00 with free shipping. Compare at $396.95 new.
Posted to: Nikon News
DateTime: 11/4/2013 1:36:06 PM CT Posted By: Sean
Lowepro Pro Roller x100 Mobile Studio Bag - $245.00 Shipped (Reg. $349.99)
has the Lowepro Pro Roller x100 Mobile Studio Bag
available for $245.00 with free shipping. Regularly $349.99.
Refurbished Canon EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens - $319.00 Shipped (Compare at $649.00 New)
has the Refurbished Canon EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens
) available for $319.00 with free shipping. Compare at $649.00 new.
Posted to: Canon News
DateTime: 11/4/2013 12:54:49 PM CT Posted By: Sean
Nikon D3100 DSLR Camera with 18-55mm & 55-200mm DX NIKKOR Lens Bundle - $496.95 Shipped
has a Nikon D3100 DSLR Camera with 18-55mm & 55-200mm NIKKOR DX Lens Bundle
available for $496.95 with free shipping and 4% Rewards
. Bundle Includes:
- Nikon D3100 14.2 Megapixels Digital SLR Camera
- Nikon AF-S DX Zoom-NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II Lens
- Nikon AF-S DX Zoom-NIKKOR 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED Lens
- Green Extreme EN-EL14 Lithium-Ion Rechargeable Battery Pack
- Lexar 16GB Class 10, 200x Platinum II Series SD Memory Card
Posted to: Nikon News
DateTime: 11/4/2013 12:06:06 PM CT Posted By: Sean
MagMod - Your Magnetic, Modular Speedlite Modifiers
From Spencer Boerup (creator) and the MagMod Kickstarter Page
MagMod is the simplest, easiest, strongest, and fastest speedlite modifier system for Canon + Nikon hot-shoe flashes, period.
Over the past 8 years of my photographic career I’ve seen my share of bulky, awkward, and cheap flash modifiers. Each has their own unique problems and flaws.
- Velcro isn’t very strong and, quite frankly, is ugly and annoying.
- Straps, bands, brackets and knobs can easily get lost and each additional component adds complexity to your system.
- Flimsy gels are awkward to attach and are practically disposable.
- Some products are even designed to only fit a specific flash!
- Modularity and ease of use are almost nonexistent.
None of this is an exaggeration, and if you're a working photographer you're probably nodding your head because you've experienced this too!
Don’t you think it’s time we have something better?
That's why I decided to make the best flash modifier system ever, and this is MagMod.
MagMod is a magical flash modifier system that frees your speedlite flashes from velcro, straps, and adhesives by geniously incorporating the invisible powers of magnetism. Each modifier is a single molded piece of high-quality silicone rubber that is sleek, compact, easy to use, and dead simple.
Get more information on the MagMod Kickstarter Page.
5 Quick Questions from Adorama
Adorama, through your purchases, is the primary supporter of The-Digital-Picture.com. They are continuously looking to improve their service to you and want your feedback
. Please take a few minutes to let them know how they are doing and how they can serve you better. Link to 5 Quick Questions
AdoramaTV Presents Portrait Lighting Setup: One Light, Two Surfaces
Adorama Photography TV Presents Photo on the Go with Joe McNally. In this episode, Joe demonstrates how to capture a portrait by lighting two surfaces with one light. Related Products
Benjamin Von Wong Creates Huge "Where's Waldo" Image
If the above embedded viewer doesn't work for you, try this:
Flash Enabled Viewer | HTML5 Viewer (for mobile devices)
Benjamin Von Wong is an exciting photographer that I've been following for quite some time on YouTube. His images are usually very striking and creative - and he typically provides behind-the-scenes videos that are interesting and informative.
For his latest project, Von Wong was asked to do something a little different – create the world's largest real-life "Where's Waldo" scene for the town of Traunstein, Germany. The amount of planning, preparation and work that went into this shoot is significant to say the least. But the resulting image is a lot of fun to browse. I did notice a few ghosting/stitching errors, but overall I think it's a great image and significant achievement in logistics and coordination.
By the way – I found Waldo. Can you?
Behind the Scenes Video
You can also check out Von Wong's behind-the-scenes blog post for more information.
Canon EF 24-70mm f/4 L IS USM Lens - $1,099.00 (Compare at $1,199.00 AR)
For a limited time, DigitalRev
has the Canon EF 24-70mm f/4 L IS USM Lens
available for $1,099.00. Compare at $1,199.00 after $300.00 mail-in rebate. Note:
When purchased by US customers, items sold by DigitalRev are considered grey market.
Posted to: Canon News
DateTime: 11/4/2013 7:48:18 AM CT Posted By: Sean
Save up to $50.00 with Canon's Shop and Save Promo
The Canon Store
is running another "Shop and Save" promotion where the savings increase with the more you buy. Considering refurbished cameras
are already priced attractively, anything extra is just icing on the cake. ;-)
Posted to: Canon News
DateTime: 11/4/2013 6:49:28 AM CT Posted By: Sean