Nikon Inc. is asking your cooperation in connection with a voluntary recall of certain lot numbers of its Nikon Model EN-EL15 rechargeable lithium-ion battery pack. The battery pack can experience a short circuit causing it to overheat and possibly causing the outside casing to become deformed, posing a potential hazard to consumers. There have only been seven (7) confirmed reports of incidents of the problem worldwide, and while no injuries have taken place, Nikon Inc. has initiated this recall of the affected lot numbers as a reflection of its commitment to safety and product quality. We are asking that owners of the affected battery pack contact Nikon Inc. to initiate a free product exchange.
The Nikon EN-EL15 battery pack is provided as a supplied accessory with the purchase of Nikon’s digital SLR D800, D800E, D810A, D810, D610, D600, D7200, D7100, D7000, D500 cameras and the Nikon 1 V1 advanced camera with interchangeable lens. However, EN-EL15 batteries supplied with D810A, D810, D610, D600, D500, D7200, D7100 are not included in this voluntary recall. It is also sold separately at retail under Nikon’s model number 27011. The EN-EL15 battery pack involved in this recall was first distributed by Nikon in March 2012 and is still being sold at retail.
No other Nikon battery packs are involved in this recall.
Nikon’s digital SLR D800, D800E, D810A, D810, D610, D600, D7200, D7100, D7000, D500 cameras and the Nikon 1 V1 advanced camera with interchangeable lens as well as any other Nikon cameras are also not subject to this recall.
What you should do:
1.) Determine if your EN-EL15 battery pack is affected
This voluntary recall is limited to EN-EL15 battery packs in lots E and F. First, please confirm that “EN-EL15” is printed on the label of your battery pack. Then, please locate the 14-digit lot number beside the recycle symbol, as shown on the photo below.
Click here to use our lot number lookup tool.
2.) If your EN-EL15 battery pack is affected
- If the 9th character of the lot number is E or F, your battery is among those being recalled.
- If the 9th character of the lot number is any other letter, your battery is not affected by this recall.
Exchange My EN-EL 15 Battery
3.) If your EN-EL15 battery pack is not affected
- Immediately remove the battery from your camera or camera bag, but please do not dispose of it.
- Complete the Nikon's online EN-EL15 battery exchange form by clicking the button below.
- Once your request is processed Nikon will send a confirmation email.
- On the day of your battery exchange, UPS will contact you by phone and email notifying you of the delivery.
- A UPS courier will then deliver your new battery pack(s) AND collect the recalled battery pack(s).
- Someone needs to be present for this exchange. If you need to make special arrangements, please contact UPS.
No further action is needed. Please continue using your EN-EL15 battery pack as usual.
Nikon is committed to safety and to providing to its customers only the highest quality products. We regret any inconvenience this matter may cause you and appreciate your continued support of Nikon and its products.