Compact, high-performance lens boasts the largest focal length range in its class
February 6, 2017, Commack, NY – Tamron, a leading manufacturer of optics for diverse applications, announces the launch of 10-24mm F/3.5-4.5 Di II VC HLD (Model B023), a new ultra-wideangle zoom lens for APS-C DSLR cameras. The lens is expected to be available in the U.S. this Spring at $499.
Model B023 is a wideangle zoom lens that covers an exceptionally large range—the largest focal length range in its class1 (35mm equivalent is 16mm to 37mm). The lens is ideal for street photography, landscapes, group photos and casual everyday scenes. In 2008, Tamron launched the SP AF 10-24mm F/3.5-4.5 Di II LD Aspherical [IF] (Model B001) that provided an unprecedented focal length range in its class. Building on that lens’s popularity, the successor Model B023 has improved optical performance and new features. It embodies Tamron’s most advanced technologies, including the VC (Vibration Compensation) system, Moisture-Resistant Construction and Fluorine Coating, and the first implementation of Tamron’s new HLD (High/Low torque modulated Drive). Additionally, the Model B023 has a refreshing new design derived from the design of the new product lineup in the SP series.
1. Inheriting the broadest focal length range in its class of ultra-wideangle zoom lenses
The new Model B023 achieves a broad focal length range of 10-24mm, the largest range among ultra-wideangle zoom lenses for APS-C DSLR cameras. This is the 35mm equivalent of covering a very wideangle of view, from 16mm ultra-wideangle to 37mm semi-wideangle. A photographer can enjoy diverse wideangle expressions with just this one lens, from dynamic landscapes far beyond the normal human field of vision to simple, casual snapshots.
2. Improved optical performance across the entire zoom range
The optical design of the new Model B023 consists of 16 lens elements in 11 groups. Special lens elements are utilized in an optimum configuration of one LD (Low Dispersion) lens element, one XLD glass element, one molded glass aspherical element, and one hybrid aspherical lens. While curbing an increase in the size of the optical system, the new lens very effectively compensates for a wide variety of aberrations in the entire zoom range, including transverse chromatic aberration, comatic aberration and distortions that tend to become more prominent with a wideangle lens.
Tamron’s highly regarded BBAR (Broad-Band Anti-Reflection) Coating and the optical design paying close attention to internal reflections in the lens barrel also curb the effects of harmful light rays that tend to occur with a wideangle lens, achieving excellent resistance against ghosting and flare seen in backlighting situations.
3. 4-Stop Vibration Compensation that is especially useful in low light conditions
In response to the requests of many customers who have asked the company to equip a wideangle lens with image stabilization, we have now installed Tamron’s acclaimed VC (Vibration Compensation) on the new Model B023. Optimizing the actuator and the control algorithm has made it possible to incorporate the VC, while maintaining the compact design of the previous Model B001. The VC especially enhances the photographer’s freedom in handheld shooting at dusk or in a dimly lit room, and under other relatively low light conditions, as the mechanism proves particularly effective in the shooting conditions with slower shutter speeds.
4. Equipped for the first time with the new HLD with outstanding driving power and stability
Tamron’s new HLD (High/Low torque modulated Drive) has been developed for use as the AF drive system for Model B023. With its outstanding driving power and stability, the HLD is capable of smoothly controlling the AF mechanism of the new Model B023 that is actually equipped with large focusing lens elements. When shooting in AF mode, the Full-time Manual Focus override allows you to instantly make fine focusing adjustments manually, without having to switch between modes.
5. Compressed into a compact body with structural ingenuity
While enhancing image quality, adding new functions and substantially improving the basic performance, Model B023’s space-saving design has ensured an optimum configuration for components such as the VC and AF unit, thus successfully reducing overall length compared to the previous Model B001. The lightweight and compact body with outstanding ease of use will prove to be very well-balanced when attached to an APS-C DSLR camera.
6. An even more user-friendly lens with Fluorine Coating and Moisture-Resistant Construction
The front surface of the foremost lens element is coated with a protective fluorine compound that is water- and oil-repellant. The lens surface is easier to wipe clean and is less vulnerable to the damaging effects of dirt, dust, moisture and fingerprints, allowing for much easier maintenance. For greater protection when shooting outdoors, leak-proof seals throughout the lens barrel help protect your equipment.
7. Electromagnetic diaphragm system now used also for Nikon-mount lenses
An electromagnetic diaphragm system, which has been a standard feature for Canon-mount lenses, is now employed in Nikon-mount lenses2. More precise diaphragm and aperture control is possible because the diaphragm blades are driven and controlled by a motor through electronic pulse signals.
8. Compatible with TAMRON TAP-in ConsoleTM, an optional accessory product
The optional TAP-in Console provides a USB connection to your personal computer, enabling you to easily update your lens’s firmware as well as customize features including fine adjustments to the AF and VC.
9. External design placing importance on functionality and ease of use
While inheriting the design that makes use of a lot of organic curves and the delicately polished form down to fine details that characterize the SP lens series, the new Model B023 comes with a highly sophisticated design that also places much importance on the lens’s functionality and ease of use, featuring an overall form that faithfully encompasses the internal structures within, a slim Luminous Gold brand ring, the switch shape and the distance-scale window design.
has the Tamron 10-24mm F/3.5-4.5 Di II VC HLD
available for preorder.
All-new optical design delivers a dramatically faster autofocus speed and image stabilization performance of 5 stops
February 6, 2017, Commack, NY
– Tamron, a leading manufacturer of optics for diverse applications, announces the launch of SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD G2 (Model A025), a new telephoto zoom lens product for full-frame and APS-C DSLR cameras. Model A025 was developed by substantially enhancing the features of its predecessor. These include a thorough review of the optical, mechanical and electronic designs to increase autofocus speed and precision, reinforce VC (Vibration Compensation) functions and to shorten the MOD. New features include eBAND Coating, Moisture-Proof and Dust-Resistant Construction, Fluorine Coating and compatibility with teleconverters. The lens design features a metal-based barrel for improved handling and ease-of-use. The result of this dramatic evolution is Model A025, a high-speed telephoto lens that widens the scope of expression for photography in a broad range of genres, such as portraits, landscapes, sports and photojournalism. The lens is expected to be available in the U.S. in March at $1299.
1. Outstanding resolution and contrast reproduction performance, beautiful bokeh and full compatibility with Tamron teleconverters
Based on the current model (A009), the optical design has been revised and improved. Both the resolution and contrast reproduction performance far exceed the present levels. Bokeh has been enhanced and expanded to deliver outstanding background effects across the entire zoom range. Use of a circular diaphragm with nine blades further improves bokeh. The optical design of the new A025 consists of 23 elements in 17 groups. Optimum deployment of XLD (eXtra Low Dispersion) and LD (Low Dispersion) glass elements thoroughly eliminate chromatic aberrations, which tend to become particularly prominent in high-speed telephoto lenses, across the entire zoom range, while ensuring uniform, high-level image quality even on the periphery of the image plane.
The new lens is also fully compatible with the TELECONVERTER 1.4x (Model TC-X14) and TELECONVERTER 2.0x (Model TC-X20), which increase the focal length of the lens to 1.4 times and 2 times the original, respectively. Both teleconverters are carefully designed and constructed to provide outstanding high quality.
2. Improved VC system provides highest Vibration Compensation ability in its class (5 stops using CIPA standard compliant) and offers three situation-specific VC modes
Utilizing Tamron's original VC (Vibration Compensation) system, which uses a moving coil mechanism, further reinforcement of the drive system power and control performance has now achieved the highest VC level in its class, with an image stabilization performance of 5 stops according to the CIPA standard (using VC Mode 3).
Also, the VC system of Model A025 offers three VC modes, including one mode exclusively for panning. Photographers can freely choose between the different VC modes according to their shooting conditions. Even when telephoto shooting in low light, which tends to be severely affected by camera shake, photographers can now enjoy jitter-free handheld shooting with much greater flexibility.
- VC MODE 1 is the standard mode that strikes a great balance between the stability of the viewfinder image and the stabilization effects.
- VC MODE 2 is exclusively used for panning.
- VC MODE 3 prioritizes the stabilization of the captured images and forgoes the stabilization of the viewfinder image.
With the optional accessory TAMRON TAP-in Console, you can customize the configuration of VC MODE 1. Choose the viewfinder view of either standard or image priority.
3. Demonstratively improved autofocus speed and responsiveness
Model A025 is equipped with a USD (Ultrasonic Silent Drive) ring-type ultrasonic motor, whose outstanding responsiveness and control ensures accurate high-speed focusing. Incorporating two advanced, high-performance microcomputers and optimizing the algorithm has improved both the focusing speed and accuracy compared with SP 70-200mm (Model A009). Additionally, thanks to the Full-time Manual Focus override mechanism, photographers shooting with AF can instantaneously make fine focusing adjustments using MF without wasting time by switching the AF-MF mode back and forth. 4. Focuses closer (shorter Minimum Object Distance, or MOD) for greater versatility Improvements made to the focus cam and zoom cam inside the lens barrel have reduced the MOD from 50.7 inches in the older Model A009 to 37.4 inches for Model A025, which has a maximum magnification ratio of 1:6.1. The shorter MOD, coupled with the excellent optical performance of the SP 70-200mm (Model A025), allows photographers to further broaden their range of expression.
5. Optimized and exclusively designed eBAND Coating
The new A025 features Tamron's original eBAND (Extended Bandwidth & Angular-Dependency) Coating, a technology that combines a nano-structured layer with an extremely low refractive index with the conventional multiple-layer coatings. Optimized and exclusively designed for this new zoom, the eBAND Coating provides superior anti-reflection performance, effectively reducing any flare and ghosting. Even when taking backlit portraits, the new lens delivers flawless, crystal clear images.
6. Moisture-Proof and Dust-Resistant Construction
Ideal for use in outdoor photography, the new 70-200mm telephoto zoom has moisture-resistant construction because special sealants that are dust-resistant and moisture-resistant are used at every joint and seam. The sealant material helps to prevent the intrusion of any dirt, dust or water droplets, compared to conventional Moisture-Resistant Construction.
7. Fluorine Coating for greater protection
The front surface of the lens element is coated with a protective fluorine compound that is water- and oil-repellant. The lens surface is easier to wipe clean and less vulnerable to the damaging effects of dirt, dust, moisture and fingerprints.
8. Electromagnetic diaphragm system now used also for Nikon-mount lenses
An electromagnetic diaphragm system, which has been a standard feature for Canon-mount lenses, is now available for Nikon-mount lenses. More precise diaphragm and aperture control is possible because the diaphragm blades are driven and controlled by the motor through electronic pulse signals.
9. Lightweight and easy-to-hold tripod mount is compatible with Arca-Swiss style quick release plates
A new textured grip and Arca-Swiss style tripod interface enhances both speed and utility. Because the tripod mount is made of lightweight magnesium, it is much easier to carry.
10. Compatible with TAMRON TAP-in Console, an optional accessory product
The optional TAP-in Console provides a USB connection to a personal computer, enabling users to easily update the lens firmware as well as customize features, including fine adjustments to the AF and VC.
11. Based on the rigorous quality standards worthy of the SP series, this new lens is manufactured with a thorough attention to details
For the SP series products in particular, Tamron has established rigorous design and quality standards. These standards apply to the optical design, mechanical design and the cosmetic appearance, as well as to such wide-ranging areas as the product's robustness and improvements in the various individual functions. Tamron thoroughly reviews all of the design and manufacturing processes in order to offer products to customers with even-higher levels of precision and quality.
For the SP 70-200mm G2 (Model A025), the optical design was refreshed, mechanical parts were improved and a new exterior design was adopted. To maximize the optical performance intrinsic to this product, Tamron improved the accuracy of the component parts and increased the precision of the overall zooming mechanism.
has the Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD G2
available for preorder.
For a limited time, use coupon code BHWPPI17
to get the X-Rite ColorChecker Passport Photo
for $59.00 with free expedited shipping. Regularly $89.00.
- Creative Enhancement Target
- Classic Target
- White Balance Target
- Protective Pocket-Sized Case
- Camera Calibration Software
- Accurate Consistent Color
For a limited time, use coupon code BHWPPI17
to get the X-Rite i1Display Pro
for $179.00 with free expedited shipping. Regularly $224.95.
- Advanced Filter and Optical Systems
- Works On All Modern Display Technologies
- Field-Upgradeable for Future Technology
- Rotating Diffuser Arm / Tripod Mount
- Basic and Advanced Modes
- Ambient Light Measurement/Smart Control
- Flare Correct
- Intelligent Profiling for Color Accuracy
- Automatic Hardware Adjustment
Through February 14, use coupon code LENSLOVE
to get 50% off
your second rental item in the same order.
*Valid for orders placed 2/6 - 2/14/17. Discount applies to the 2nd most expensive item.
has the Adobe Photoshop Elements 15 and Premiere Elements 15 (DVD)
available for $89.00 with free expedited shipping. Regularly $149.00.
- Photo and Video Editing Software Bundle
- Edit & Organize with Touchscreen Devices
- Frown & Squint Adjustments, Batch Edits
- Camera Shake Reduction, Haze Removal
- Supports Editing and Viewing 4K Movies
- Hollywood Effects and Face Detection
- Enhanced Search and Smart Tags
- Guided Edits for Both Photo and Video
- Built-In Social Media Sharing
- For Mac OS X 10.10-11 & Windows 7, 8, 10
February 6th, 2017, Seoul, South Korea
– A global optics brand Samyang Optics announces a new XEEN 20mm T1.9 lens for professional video-cine. This lens brings the range of XEEN cinema lenses to eight and compliments the existing lenses: 14mm, 16mm, 24mm, 35mm, 50mm, 85mm and 135mm. The new XEEN 20mm offers outstanding image quality from resolving power for 4K+ production for filming video and cinema.
XEEN is a specialized brand of professional video-cine lenses launched by Samyang Optics in 2015. The XEEN series are designed for the ultra-high definition video environment and feature outstanding optical performance for 4K and above. The lenses also feature X-Coating Technology and 11 aperture blades that help create beautiful and round bokeh to introduce emotional and natural expression.
The 24mm x 36mm negative size allows XEEN lenses to not only work with full frame cameras, but also Super 35, APS-C, APS-H and APS-P cameras. XEEN lenses are available in five different mounts - PL, EF, F, E, and MFT and two different focus scales - metric and imperial units. All focus and iris gear rings are identically positioned among eight lenses to speed up the lens changes.
Inheriting the renowned image quality of Samyang’s wide angle series, the XEEN 20mm T1.9 enhances the XEEN line up and brings the total range to eight lenses. With the expansion of XEEN Lenses and the existing Samyang manual focus lenses, plus the recent autofocus lineup and premium XP lenses, Samyang Optics pursues ‘Total Imaging Solution’ optics brand.
Created to deliver infinite possibilities, the XEEN 20mm T1.9 will be launched globally in March 2017. The recommended retail price of each lens is EUR 2,200.
carries the Rokinon-branded XEEN Cine Lenses
Through midnight tonight Eastern Time, B&H
has the Elinchrom Quadra Living Light Kit with Lead Battery, S Head and Transmitter
available for $629.95 with free shipping. Regularly $999.00.
- Quadra Hybrid Pack with Lead-Gel Battery
- 1x RQ Hybrid Standard Head w/ Reflector
- 1x Head Cable: 8.2'
- 1x ELS Skyport Speed Transmitter
- 1x Lead-Gel Charger, 1x Sync Cord: 16.4'
- Up to 150 Full Power Flashes
- 400Ws System, 2.6 Sec Recycling
Through the end of today Eastern Time, B&H
has the B+W 77mm Kaesemann Circular Polarizer MRC Filter
available for $49.95 with free shipping. Regularly $119.95.
- Helps to Eliminate Reflections and Glare
- Reduces Haze and Blue Cast in Landscapes
- Greater Color and Tonal Saturation
- High Efficiency Kaesemann Foils
- MRC Multi-Resistant Coating
- Rugged Brass Filter Ring
- High Quality Schott Glass
The 58mm version
of the filter is also on sale.