The Tamron 50-400mm F/4.5-6.3 Di III VC VXD Lens development announcement is now converted to a full product announcement. Availability of this lens is slated for Sep 22, 2022.
Game-Changing Ultra-Telephoto Zoom Starting at 50mm
50-400mm F/4.5-6.3 Di III VC VXD (Model A067)
August 24, 2022, Commack, NY - Tamron announces the launch of the versatile 50-400mm F/4.5-6.3 Di III VC VXD (Model A067), a next level ultra-telephoto zoom lens for Sony E-mount full-frame mirrorless cameras on September 22, 2022, at $1299. Due to the current global health crisis, the release date or product supply schedule could change.
The 50-400mm F/4.5-6.3 Di III VC VXD (Model A067) creates an entirely new category for high-performance ultra-telephoto mirrorless zoom lenses. With an 8x zoom ratio that begins at an unprecedented 50mm (commonly called the “standard” focal length for full-frame cameras), this new ultra-telephoto zoom lens for Sony E-mount full-frame mirrorless cameras is the same size as conventional 100-400mm zoom lenses yet offers a wider angle of view on the wide end for excellent versatility.
The 50-400mm is remarkably compact with a length of just 7.2” and a light weight of 40.7 oz. but provides unparalleled high performance at all focal lengths. Despite the high magnification ratio, high image quality is delivered across the entire 50-400mm range through the effective arrangement of special lens elements. Equipped with TAMRON’s VXD (Voice-coil eXtreme-torque Drive) linear motor focus mechanism that offers excellent quietness and responsiveness, plus TAMRON's proprietary image stabilization mechanism VC (Vibration Compensation), the lens delivers versatile capability for all shooting scenarios.
Since the 50-400mm provides up to one-half life-size magnification during close focus, users can enjoy the world of half-macro photography with excellent close-up shooting capabilities, with an MOD (Minimum Object Distance) of 9.8” at the 50mm.
The filter size is 67mm, the same as most other TAMRON lenses for mirrorless cameras, providing greater convenience when using multiple lenses together. The lens also features ergonomic features that support comfortable shooting, such as the adoption of a new lens design with improved texture and operability, and a Connector Port for the dedicated TAMRON Lens UtilityTM originally and uniquely developed by TAMRON. In addition, for this 50-400mm, TAMRON Lens Utility newly offers a "Focus Limiter” function. An optional Arca-Swiss compatible accessory tripod mount is available for convenience when using a tripod.
The 50-400mm is a highly portable, versatile zoom lens that ensures users never miss a shooting opportunity, from the 50mm standard focal length up to the 400mm ultra-telephoto. This is a breakthrough product that creates an entirely new category of ultra-telephoto-mirrorless zoom lenses, another first for TAMRON.
Expansive 8x zoom ratio starts at 50mm and extends to 400mm ultra-telephoto with a single lens
The 50-400mm is a groundbreaking ultra-telephoto zoom lens with an unprecedented 8x zoom ratio that covers focal lengths from 50mm to 400mm. The 50mm focal length has long been considered the “standard” focal length for full-frame digital cameras. The 50-400mm has an unprecedented wide-end focal length of 50mm, so users can create images that not only capture a subject close-up, but also utilize the background. Leveraging the versatility of this revolutionary new lens configuration, users can enjoy shooting a broad range of subjects from landscapes and wild birds to animals, sports, and small group photos, all with a single compact lens.
Unfaltering high image quality across the entire zoom range
The optical construction features 24 elements in 18 groups. The generous and effective use of special lens elements, including two XLD (eXtra Low Dispersion), three LD (Low Dispersion), one GM (Glass Molded Aspherical) and one Hybrid Aspherical lens elements, thoroughly controls aberrations including axial chromatic aberrations. The 50-400mm also features BBAR-G2 (Broad-Band Anti-Reflection Generation 2) Coating that minimizes ghosting and flares and expresses the minute details of subjects even under backlit conditions. In summary, the 50-400mm delivers clear and crisp images shot after shot.
VXD produces high-speed and high-precision AF The 50-400mm utilizes VXD linear motor focus mechanism. It combines high-level AF speed and precision, enabling fast and accurate focusing from MOD to infinity. The excellent focus tracking performance of moving objects makes it possible to capture sharp images even when shooting wild birds and sports in action. Plus, the lens is extremely quiet, so it’s perfectly suited for both still and video shooting in conditions that demand silent operation.
Equipped with TAMRON’s proprietary VC image stabilization
Despite its remarkably compact size, the 50-400mm is equipped with TAMRON's proprietary VC. The excellent image stabilization performance effectively reduces image blurring due to camera shake. Also, using AI technologies, the lens chooses the appropriate compensation characteristics for videography at focal lengths of 100mm or less.
Enhanced operational and versatile features
1. Connector Port for the TAMRON Lens Utility
• Comes standard with the TAMRON Lens Utility software. Connecting a computer to the lens’s Connector Port via the optional TAMRON Connection Cable1, users can customize various functions and update the lens’s firmware. Personal customization gives flexible shooting options to match the shooting situation for still photography and videography.
2. New “Focus Limiter” function added to the TAMRON Lens Utility
• The 50-400mm newly offers a Focus Limiter function accessible within TAMRON Lens Utility. The option can limit the AF focus search range, so users can shorten the time needed for refocusing when the subject becomes out of focus. It is also used to prevent the lens from focusing on obstacles in front of the distant subject.
3. Rapid zooming (Zoom ring rotation arc is just 75°)
4. Optional tripod mount (Arca-Swiss compatible model A035TM)
5. Super-compact with a length of only 7.2” and a weight of 40.7 oz.
• The 50-400mm F4.5-6.3 is lightweight and compact in size, despite covering an expansive focal length of 50mm to 400mm. The 50-400mm is the same size as a conventional 100-400mm, so it’s easy to pack, easy to carry and comfortable to shoot subjects like wild birds and sports all day.
6. Half-macro photography with magnification ratio of 1:2 at the 50mm setting
• The 50-400mm achieves extremely high close-up shooting performance, particularly for an ultra-telephoto zoom lens. Users can enjoy half-macro shooting with an MOD of 9.8” and a maximum magnification ratio of 1:2 at the 50mm zoom setting. Additionally, at the 400mm telephoto end the MOD is 59.1”, providing a maximum magnification ratio of 1:4 for dynamic shots. Focusing close without changing lenses adds versatility and enhances photographic creativity.
7. New design with improved texture and scratch resistance
8. Ø67mm filter size, same as most other TAMRON lenses for mirrorless cameras
9. User-friendly features (Moisture-Resistant Construction, Fluorine Coating, Zoom Lock switch, etc.)
10. Compatibility with many camera-specific features and functions, including Fast Hybrid AF and Eye AF
1 TAMRON Connection Cable (USB Type-A to Type-C) sold separately.
* Length is the distance from the front tip of the lens to the lens mount face.
** The circular diaphragm stays almost perfectly circular up to two stops down from maximum aperture.
Specifications, appearance, functionality, etc. are subject to change without prior notice.
This product is developed, manufactured, and sold based on the specifications of E-mount which was disclosed by Sony Corporation under the license agreement with Sony Corporation.