TAMRON Announces the Launch of the World's First Mirrorless Zoom Lens with a Maximum Wide-Open Aperture of F2
Fast-Aperture 35-150mm F2-2.8 “Travel Zoom” Covers Wide-Angle Through Telephoto Range and Features New Function Customization
35-150mm F/2-2.8 Di III VXD (Model A058)
September 29, 2021, Commack, NY - Tamron USA, Inc. announces the launch date of the 35-150mm F/2-2.8 Di III VXD (Model A058), a fast-aperture telephoto zoom lens for Sony E-mount full-frame mirrorless cameras on October 28, 2021, at $1899. Due to the current global health crisis, the release date or product supply schedule could change.
 Among the zoom lenses for Sony E-mount full-frame mirrorless cameras (As of August 2021: TAMRON)
The 35-150mm F2-2.8 is a zoom lens that covers the range from wide-angle (35mm) through telephoto (150mm) and is ideal for travel photography. It is the first zoom lens for Sony E-mount full-frame mirrorless cameras to have a maximum wide-open aperture of F2. With this focal range, you can enjoy shooting magnificent views and large buildings at 35mm and dynamic close-up shots at 150mm. Travel photographers can easily take beautiful sunrise and sunset shots, shoot distinctive exterior buildings and interiors like restaurants, and take twilight and nightscape photos. With high-level performance under a wide variety of shooting conditions, this new fast lens is ideal for trips aimed at creating photographic works. In addition, by incorporating the VXD (Voice-coil eXtreme-torque Drive) linear motor focus mechanism, the lens features a very high-speed and high-precision autofocus for a fast-aperture lens. It also incorporates a new design in the pursuit of enhanced operability and ergonomic convenience.
This lens supports the full array of frequently used angles-of-view including wide-angle, standard, medium telephoto and telephoto, making it easy to compose the perfect shot without changing your position from the subject.
Proprietary software tool TAMRON Lens Utility™ for lens function customization
This lens is compatible with the new TAMRON Lens Utility software originally and uniquely developed by TAMRON. TAMRON Lens Utility can be operated using computer by connecting the lens from its Connector Port via the optional TAMRON Connection Cable. Users can customize the functions and update the firmware through the lens. The personal customization gives flexible shooting options to match the shooting situation such as still photography or videography.
 TAMRON Connection Cable (USB Type-A to Type-C) sold separately.
(Functions of TAMRON Lens Utility)
| Custom Switch settings
*The function of Focus Set Button can be cleared
| Focus Ring settings
| Firmware update
1. The world's first F2-2.8 fast-aperture zoom lens The new 35-150mm F2-2.8 features a fast maximum aperture of F2 at the 35 mm focal length, compared to the typical F2.8 fast-aperture zoom lenses. This lens enables you to achieve enhanced, beautiful bokeh style even on the wide-angle end of the lens's focal range. The faster F2 aperture allows use of higher shutter speeds and lower ISO settings, so users enjoy less potential camera shake and reduce high-ISO image noise.
2. Versatile zoom range provides seamless shooting from wide-angle 35mm to telephoto 150mm The 35mm to 150mm zoom range of the new Model A058 is ideal for travel photography because you can do so much with just one lens. You can capture snapshots at the wide angle of 35mm or standard angle of 50mm, close-up portraits at 85mm and telephoto shots at 150mm. The responsive zoom ring enables you to continue shooting as you shift from wide to telephoto seamlessly and smoothly without changing lenses—which is convenient for video as well as still photography.
3. Outstanding optical performance throughout the zoom range Thanks to the latest optical design featuring four LD (Low Dispersion) and three GM (Glass Molded Aspherical) lens elements optimally arranged, the 35-150mm F2-2.8 provides superior optical performance throughout the entire zoom range. Even when used with today’s extra-high-resolution digital cameras, it consistently achieves high image quality to the edges of the frame and reduces onion ring bokeh (concentric circles) while presenting a beautiful, soft bokeh style that is achieved only by fast apertures. The versatile zoom range enables photographers to express themselves freely while capturing images focal lengths they are familiar with, including 35mm, 50mm (considered “normal” or standard), 85mm (mid-telephoto length commonly used for portraits), 100 mm or 135 mm, as well as the maximum 150mm tele focal length—and any focal length in between. It’s like six lenses in one!
4. Fast, quiet VXD linear motor mechanism for high-speed and high-precision autofocus The lens's AF drive uses the linear motor focus mechanism VXD. The high-speed, high-precision AF provides the lens with superior responsiveness to the photographer’s actions, delivering stable and reliable focusing even with fast-aperture lenses, from the MOD (Minimum Object Distance) to infinity. The 35-150mm F2-2.8 offers excellent focus tracking of moving objects so you are ready for those important moments. Additionally, the focus motor is quiet, so it is ideal for shooting both still images and video in situations that demand low noise.
5. Superior close-focusing capability with an MOD of 0.33m (13 in) at the wide end for creative close-ups
6. Compact body with 35-150mm zoom range and fast F2 maximum aperture
7. New design provides enhanced grip and greater intuitive operation
8. Moisture-Resistant Construction, Fluorine Coating, and hood with locking mechanism for greater convenience
9. Compatible with many camera-specific features and functions, including Fast Hybrid AF and Eye AF