A compact and lightweight lens that supports filter attachment and offers superior optical performance
January 8, 2019
– Nikon Corporation (Nikon) is pleased to announce the release of the NIKKOR Z 14-30mm f/4 S, a high-performance ultra-wide-angle zoom lens that is compatible with full-frame (Nikon FX-format) mirrorless cameras for which the new larger-diameter mount has been adopted.
The NIKKOR Z 14-30mm f/4 S is an ultra-wide-angle zoom lens that covers a 14 mm to 30 mm range of focal lengths with a constant maximum aperture of f/4 throughout the range.
Furthermore, the lens is part of the S-Line, a newly designated grade of NIKKOR Z lenses that adhere to a new benchmark in optical performance, creating new definitions of design principles and quality control.
The combination of superior optical performance and compact size is made possible by the new Z mount system.
The NIKKOR Z 14-30mm f/4 S features four ED glass and four aspherical lens elements in its lens optics, and demonstrates outstanding optical performance that maximizes the potential of high-pixel-count digital cameras.
These features are evident in cameras like the Z 7, with its effective pixel count of 45.7 megapixels and excellent resolving power.
Additionally, the use of Nikon's exclusive coating technologies, including Nano Crystal Coat, effectively suppresses ghost and flare, contributing to the output of extremely clear photos and videos.
This achieves rendering performance that will change the perception of ultra-wide-angle zoom lenses with a maximum aperture of f/4.
The adoption of a button-less retractable mechanism provides excellent mobility while preserving optical performance, enabling a smaller, more portable size that allows for quick shooting.
Nikon's exclusive fluorine coat, which is effective in the repelling of dust, water droplets, grease, and dirt, and possesses superb anti-reflection characteristics, has been applied to the external surface of the front lens element.
Furthermore, the NIKKOR Z 14-30mm f/4 S is the world's first*1
full-frame lens to support direct filter attachment despite starting at a 14 mm focal length.
This allows users to enjoy the effects of different filters such as polarizing and neutral density filters, which was not possible before.
The support for filter attachment also enables shooting in more active situations as the front element is better protected by the filter and lens hood, in addition to the dust- and drip-resistance considered in the design of the lens.
The NIKKOR Z 14-30mm f/4 S lens barrel is equipped with a control ring.
The focus (M/A)*2
, aperture, or exposure compensation function can be assigned to the control ring.
The control ring does not click with rotation, supporting smooth shooting.
Its quiet operation is especially beneficial with movie recording.
Additionally, focus breathing is also effectively controlled.
This not only captures natural footage in which the angle of view does not change when the focus position is shifted forward or backward, but also makes capturing a series of images that can be combined to create a single image with increased depth of field easy using focus shift shooting.
The high-performance NIKKOR Z 14-30mm f/4 S, with its superior mobility and operability, makes it possible for users to enjoy dynamic imaging expression utilizing the ultra-wide-angle to wide-angle range of focal lengths for still images and videos that exhibit excellent image quality.
*1 Among FX-format interchangeable lenses for digital cameras with interchangeable lenses with a focal range beginning at 14 mm or lower, available as of January 8, 2019. Statement based on Nikon research.
*2 A function that enables immediate switching from autofocus to manual focus using the control ring.
* Among FX-format interchangeable lenses for digital cameras with interchangeable lenses with a focal range beginning at 14 mm or lower, available as of January 8, 2019. Statement based on Nikon research.
The Nikon Z Series: Upcoming Firmware on Display at CES
- Support for a range of focal lengths that allows users to enjoy dynamic expression from the ultra-wide-angle 14 mm to the highly practical wide-angle 30 mm commonly used to capture a wide variety of subjects and scenes
- The world's first* full-frame ultra-wide-angle zoom lens starting at 14 mm focal length to support filter attachment
- A retractable mechanism that works without buttons helps achieve compact portability while supporting immediate shooting
- Outstanding optical performance that delivers excellent image and video quality throughout the entire zoom range
- Optics for which four ED glass and four aspherical lens elements have been adopted ensure excellent resolution, across all edges of the frame, from maximum aperture
- Nikon's exclusive coating technologies, including Nano Crystal Coat, effectively suppresses ghost and flare for clear images
- A constant maximum aperture of f/4 throughout the entire zoom range maintains exposure settings while the zoom function is in use
- A control ring that demonstrates superior operability with quiet and smooth operation
- Focus breathing control that is effective not only with movie recording, but also for focus shift shooting
- Designed with consideration to dust and drip resistance; fluorine coat effectively repels dust, water droplets, grease, and dirt
- Adoption of a stepping motor (STM) realizes a fast, quiet, and accurate AF drive for both still-image and movie recording
- An electromagnetic diaphragm mechanism enables extremely precise aperture control
The Nikon Z series will continue to adapt to changing user needs through the development and roll-out of firmware updates to meet and exceed creative expectations. Taking into account feedback from photographers and creators, Nikon will display three feature updates under development that open creative opportunities for the Z 6 and Z 7. Displays will include:
- CFexpress - Coming soon to the Z 6 and Z 7 cameras is support for CFexpress, which is compatible with the XQD memory card form-factor.
- Eye AF - Under development is an Eye AF function, which will automatically detect the subject’s eyes to make attaining critical focus on the eyes easier. It will allow users to capture photos in which focus has been clearly acquired on the subject's eye, which is useful for portrait, event and street photography scenarios.
- RAW Video Support - Nikon is currently developing a feature that works with the ATOMOS Ninja V to output video in RAW format, using the ProRes RAW codec.
Details, including the release date of new firmware updates, will be shared at a later date.
New for CES 2019 – Nikon Z 6 Filmmaker’s Kit
For content creators and filmmakers looking to fully utilize the Nikon Z 6’s advanced video capabilities, Nikon has created a new Filmmaker’s Kit incorporating the camera as well an array of essential video capture accessories. The bundle includes: a Nikon Z 6 camera, NIKKOR Z 24-70mm f/4 S lens, Mount Adapter FTZ, Atomos Ninja V 4K HDR 5” Monitor Recorder, Rode VideoMic Pro Plus, MOZA Air 2 3-Axis Hand-Held Gimbal Stabilizer, an additional EN-EL15b battery, a coiled HDMI cable, a 12-month Vimeo Pro membership and a complimentary Nikon School Online class. The Nikon Z 6 Filmmaker’s Kit will be available in late January 2019 for a suggested retail price of $3,999.95.
Nikon Z 14-30mm f/4 S Lens Preorders:
| Amazon US
Nikon Z 6 Filmmaker’s Kit Preorders