From Canon UK: United Kingdom, Republic of Ireland, 25 August 2015
– Canon today unveils the CJ12ex4.3B, a new 2/3” portable 4K zoom lens with the world’s widest focal length – an incredible 4.3mm, designed for professionals shooting interviews or live broadcast, including sport and news. Canon also today announces that it is developing a new compact 2/3” 4K all-purpose-zoom lens. Further bolstering Canon’s 4K broadcast lens range for cameras employing 2/3” sensors, the versatile new lens will be optimised for both indoor and outdoor shooting, across a variety of applications including, sporting events, live broadcasts, as well as television dramas and commercials. Outstanding 4K optical performance
Leveraging Canon’s renowned heritage in optical design and advanced technologies, the CJ12ex4.3B delivers outstanding 4K image quality throughout the entire 12x optical zoom range. Providing the freedom to quickly adapt to different shooting environments, the new lens enables shooters to swiftly move from an ultra-wide 4.3mm angle shot to close ups, whilst ensuring first-class image quality from the very centre to the edge. A built-in 2x extender also helps provides even greater focal reach, whilst still maintaining 4K optical performance.
To further provide sharp, high contrast images, the CJ12ex4.3B includes an increased use of fluorite and UD glass combined with Canon’s expert coatings, resulting in exceptional control over ghosting and flare. A new three group internal focus system also reduces focus breathing. Exceptional portability and flexible operation
Boasting a brand new design, the CJ12ex4.3B is compact and lightweight, weighing just 2.1kg, making it similar in size and weight to a comparable 2/3” HD lens. Ideal for on-shoulder shooting traditionally adopted by news gatherers, the lens can easily be used on-the-go, and with an ergonomic design and grip, it is comfortable to hold for longer periods of time. The lens also incorporates three 20-pin connectors for easy integration with existing HD zoom/focus controllers and can be directly connected to an external virtual operation system at the same time.
Featuring a Digital Drive Unit, the CJ12ex4.3B offers advanced operability giving users the freedom to select repeatable zoom positions and speeds, in addition to focus and iris settings. A 16-bit absolute value encoder integrated into the Digital Drive Unit allows operators to start shooting with the camera’s aberration compensation function in an instant, without the need for any initialization. This is perfect for news and wildlife environments where action can disappear as quickly as it started. A digital display, built into the Digital Drive Unit, also makes it easy to set, review and adjust vital functions in a way similar to 2/3” HD lenses. Key features CJ12ex4.3B:
- 4K resolution 2/3” portable wide angle lens with 12x zoom
- Exceptional 4.3mm focal length at the wide end extends to 52mm (104mm using the built-in 2x extender)
- Stunning optical performance right to the edge of the image when paired with a 2/3” 4K compatible camera
- Combines 4K quality with lightweight design and compact size comparable to HD lenses for comfortable on-shoulder shooting
- Sustained 4K performance even when using the built-in 2x extender
- Proven, high-quality 16-bit encoder captures precise information on zoom, focus and iris and allows support for aberration correction immediately on start-up
- 3 20-pin connectors make for effortless use with existing Canon HD lens accessories and virtual systems