For those looking to add a Speedlite flash to their photography kits and don't need the highest-end option
available, the Canon 430EX III-RT
are budget-priced, feature-filled mid-grade options worthy of consideration.
With that in mind, we'll compare/contrast the features of the 430EX III-RT and 470EX-AI flashes to see which one might be best for your needs.
Canon Speedlite 430EX III-RT and Speedlite 470EX-AI Shared Primary Features
Primary Advantages of the Canon Speedlite 430EX III-RT Flash
- Angle of Flash Coverage: 24-105mm, 14mm with diffuser
- Infrared AF-assist beaming
- E-TTL II/E-TTL, Manual modes
- High Speed Sync
- Flash Exposure Lock (FEL)
- Flash Exposure Bracketing (FEB) in Slave Mode
- Flash Exposure Compensation
- Second Curtain Flash Sync
- Modeling Flash
- Color Temperature Info Communication
- Supports Flash Settings by Camera Menu
- Custom Functions: 10
Primary Advantages of the Canon Speedlite 470EX-AI Flash
- Radio/optical transmitter and receiver vs. optical receiver only
- Remote shutter release capable vs. N/A
- Battery Life: 180-1200 flashes vs. 140–966
- Recycling Time (Alkaline): 0.1 to 3.5 sec vs. 0.1 - 5.5 sec
- Size: 2.8 x 4.5 x 3.9" (70.5 x 113.8 x 98.2mm) vs. 2.94 x 5.13 x 4.14" (74.6 x 130.4 x 105.1mm)
- Weight: 10.4 oz (295g) vs. 13.6 oz (385g)
- Lower price
Who should opt for the Canon Speedlite 430EX III-RT?
- Flash head automatic bounce angle determination
- Guide Number @ 105mm: 47m (154') vs. 43m (141')
- AF Assist Beam Points: up to 16 (at 28mm) vs. 1
- Flash Head Movement Range Up: 0-120° vs. 45, 60, 75 and 90°
- Flash Head Movement Range Left: 0-180° vs. 60, 75, 90, 120, and 150°
- Flash Head Movement Range Right: 0-180° vs. 60, 75, 90, 120, 150 and 180°
If you endeavor to use (and control) multiple light setups, and want to avoid the limitations of optical (line-of-sight) triggering, the Canon 430EX III-RT will be the best choice for your needs.
While the Canon 470EX-AI can act as a slave in optically-triggered setups, the Canon 430EX III-RT can act as a master or
slave in radio or
The flexibility that the 430EX III-RT's wireless features afford is immense, greatly increasing the usefulness of the flash.
Also, those wanting a smaller/lighter flash atop their cameras, photographers who prioritize battery life and/or recycling time or persons with a limited budget will find the 430EX III-RT to be a better flash for their needs.
Who should opt for the Canon Speedlite 470EX-AI Flash?
Those photographers who appreciate the convenience of a flash that automatically calculates the optimal bounce direction will find the Canon Speedlite 470EX-AI Flash's auto-rotating head to be the deciding factor.
Wedding / event photographers and those new to Speedlite flash use will especially appreciate the 470EX-AI's unique auto-bounce capability, allowing for flattering subject lighting with little effort or experience required.
If optical triggering is sufficient for your multiple flash setup needs, the 470EX-AI can easily be incorporated as a slave unit.
Few will find the 470EX-AI's slightly higher guide number to be a deciding factor, but the flash's extra power could prove beneficial in certain situations.
Canon Speedlite 430EX III-RT – B&H
| Amazon US
| Canon USA
Canon Speedlite 470EX-AI – B&H
| Amazon US
| Canon USA