Right now is a great time to add a gently used, high-quality Really Right Stuff Ball Head
to your kit as B&H has 10 available to choose from in their inventory (most in 9 or 9+ condition).
A great ball head can make tripod use significantly more enjoyable, and the BH-55, BH-40, BH-30 and BH-25 models available certainly qualify as "great."
That is a question I struggled with and, based on emails coming in, many of you are also feeling the pull to move to the R-series, or at least bring one into an existing kit.
What We Know
You Should Buy a Canon R-Series Mirrorless Camera Now If
- The Canon EOS R is a great-performing camera, full-featured with a great price for what it offers.
- The Canon EOS RP is tiny, well-featured, and extremely-well-priced.
- Lenses are critically important and the RF Lenses available now are very impressive with extremely high image quality, ultra-wide apertures, and/or
compact size and light weight.
- The RF lenses slated for delivery later this year promise at least equal to the impressiveness of the ones we already have available.
- More EOS R camera models are promised, including pro models.
You Should Wait to Buy a Canon R-Series Mirrorless Camera If
- You want to start taking advantage of the RF lenses and/or want to keep your kit optimized to the best-available lenses. If a lens you want to use now to is available in an RF mount version, this is a good time to consider buying into the R system.
- You want the advantages of an electronic viewfinder, including clear, focused-to-your-eye image preview and review in bright daylight, and don't mind the EVF disadvantages, including a brief video pause when an image is being captured.
- You want incredibly-low-light AF capabilities.
- You want improved AF accuracy with third party lenses.
- You want to learn how to use the mirrorless models. While the learning curve is not big, the fun of learning something new is.
- You primarily photograph landscapes, street, still life, family and events.
- You want the benefit of eye-tracking focus, especially useful with wide aperture lenses.
- You want to reduce the size and weight of your kit.
- You want to take advantage of the up-to-$500 rebates currently available.
- You primarily photograph sports and wildlife. The EOS R's frame rate is mediocre and a brief EVF video pause during each image capture makes tracking erratic-moving fast action challenging. The Canon EOS-1D X Mark II or the
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV are currently better choices for capturing fast, erratic action.
- You don't see any advantages to the EOS R-series camera and RF lens system over what you are using now. If nothing about the new cameras and lenses interests you, stay with a DSLR.
- You require an economy kit lens with a native RF mount. I expect an inexpensive RF kit lens to show up at some point, but ... an adapted EF lens is currently the best low-cost option for a general-purpose zoom lens.
- You require ultra-high resolution. We do not yet have a Canon EOS 5Ds R-equivalent resolution option available in the R-series. The EOS R's 30.3 MP resolution is very high, but getting higher resolution in a Canon R-series camera requires waiting.
- You require dual memory card slots.
- You require IBIS (In Body Image Stabilization). Of course, most of the RF lenses have either an ultra-wide aperture or image stabilization reducing the need for stabilization in-camera.
- Current video capabilities are not adequate.
Note that there will always be a new camera model coming.
How long it takes to get here is a key component to decision-making and with the manufacturers not sharing their future plans, that component is an unknown and a lot of years of current model usage could potentially be had before an alternative arrives.
New models usually bring new features that are useful, at least to some, but they also typically have higher price tags, at least higher than a similar model being replaced or higher than a model positioned lower in the lineup.
New models make no difference to how current models perform – a camera owned today will continue to perform the same tomorrow.
If you can make use of a current model now, now is a good time to get that model.
The Canon EOS R
is in stock at B&H
| Amazon USA
The Canon EOS RP
is in stock at B&H
| Amazon USA
This is the application you've been waiting for! No, it is not April Fools Day. Now you can wear pictures of the grandkids on each finger!
MELVILLE, NY, May 14, 2019 – Look down – how are your nails looking? Is it time for a new set? No problem – Canon has you covered! Eliminating the need to visit your local nail salon, Canon U.S.A., Inc., a leader in digital imaging solutions, introduces printable nail stickers for select PIXMA series printers. Now, you can refresh your manicure in the comfort of your own home.
With a quick download of the Canon Nail Sticker Creator App*, users of compatible iPad®, iPhone® and Android™ mobile devices, and Canon PIXMA TS9521C, PIXMA TS9520, PIXMA TS8220 and PIXMA TS702 Printers can select from an assortment of 200 designs and have access to newly uploaded designs four times per year, or create their own nail art** within the app. When using the Canon Printable Nail Sticker sheets, the nail sticker design of choice will print onto a precut sheet of stickers placed on the printer’s multipurpose tray, and can be peeled off and adhered to the user’s nails. After a quick filing of the edges and application of a top coat to seal the design(s) – the mani is complete!
"With the launch of printable nail stickers, we are excited to provide our customers with another reason to expand their printing needs and let their creative expression flourish right on their fingertips,” said Kazuto Ogawa, president and chief operating officer, Canon U.S.A., Inc.
The new Canon Printable Nail Sticker sheets (twelve stickers per sheet) are available two per pack and initially, will be available exclusively on the Canon Online Store for $12.99 per pack***. For more information and the full list of product specifications, visit https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/glossy-paper
Even if the nail stickers are not your thing, you might find the 1/2-priced Canon Photo Paper
We are never fully satisfied with the products we make.
We always strive to take steps forward, whether they be baby-steps or strides.
That is why we not only will create ground-breaking products, but we'll also continually evaluate and improve those products, as we have done with the launch of Profoto A1X, the A1’s new and improved sibling.
It has a little more of everything that made its predecessor a success.
An even more powerful battery, faster recycling and Sony compatibility are some of the 30+ updates that we have made to the product.
Or put in other words – more when it matters.
Because in photography, there are no second chances.
An image might present itself for a second, and then it's gone, so you can't afford to be fiddling with batteries or waiting for the flash to recharge - you've got to be ready.
That's why the new Profoto A1X has up to 450 full power pops per charge, and lightning-fast one-second recharge time, so you'll never miss a shot.
The light in the image will always be natural and beautiful thanks to the innovative round head with its soft and gentle fall-off.
Allowing you even more creative freedom, the A1X features a magnetic click-on mount for light shaping tools; there are six tools available that can be used individually or in combination with one another.
And for more flexibility still, there's a flicker-free modelling light built-in to the head, so you can see exactly what you're going to capture before you press the shutter; which is especially useful when operating off-camera or in low light situations.
The Profoto A1X features a 20-channel Air Remote with HSS and AirTTL so you'll always get beautiful and professional images fast.
And with the increased number of channels, you can be sure you won’t be interrupted at busy events or important moments.
Use TTL mode, and it's essentially point-and-shoot, the sensor will calculate the correct exposure for you.
However, switch it over to manual, and you can then fine-tune that exposure to create exactly the look and feel you want.
Ease of use has always been at the heart of every Profoto product, and the A1X is no exception.
The large, high-resolution display is incredibly easy to navigate with big, super-legible numbers.
The way we see it, the less time you spend messing about with menu's, the more time you can spend doing what you love – creating images.
And whether you're a Sony, Canon or Nikon shooter, all the light shaping possibilities of the Profoto A1X are yours to enjoy.
Whether it's the natural and beautiful light it provides, the easy to navigate and intuitive display or superior battery life and recycling time - with the Profoto A1X there's more when it matters.
Because let's face it - it always matters.
- Bespoke versions for Sony, Canon and Nikon
- 20-channels Air Remote
- Round head with soft, smooth and natural fall off
- AirTTL and HSS for a beautiful professional image fast
- Smart magnetic click-on mount for A1X Light Shaping Tools
- 6 dedicated A1X Light Shaping Tools available
- Integrated flicker-free modelling light.
- Built-in Air Remote TTL.
- Rechargeable and replaceable Li-Ion battery.
- 1.0s recycling time.
- TTL/MAN switch.
- Built in motor-zoom with hand control.
- Auto focus (AF) assist.
- Large Hi-Res display.
- Height 10.8 cm (4.25 in)
- Full length: 16.5 cm (6,37 in)
- Width: 7.5 cm (2,95 in)
- Weight: 560 g (1.2 Ibs) including battery
The Profoto A1X
is in stock at B&H
New features and enhancements in the May 2019 (version 8.3) release of Lightroom Classic
You can now reduce shading, or lens cast, from your digital photos using the Flat-Field Correction feature.
Shading can occur from a variety of different lenses and can result in both asymmetrical vignettes as well as color casts introduced by certain lens characteristics.
Flat-Field Correction is available in the Library module.
To apply the correction, select all your photos in a natural interleaved order and choose Lightroom > Library > Flat-Field Correction.
For detailed information, see Flat-Field Correction
New Texture slider
You can now smoothen or accentuate details such as skin, bark, and hair with the new Texture slider.
You can adjust the Texture slider negatively to smooth skin and retain fine pore details to ensure natural-looking skin.
You can increase the Texture amount to accentuate details such as bark or hair without affecting less detailed areas, like the out of focus areas in a photograph.
Adjusting the Texture slider does not change the color or tonality in your photograph.
You can apply texture to your photos both as a global adjustment and to specific parts of the photo as a local adjustment.
To apply texture, select a photo and switch to the Develop module.
Support for new cameras and lenses
Latest cameras added in May 2019
- Canon EOS 250D (EOS Rebel SL3, EOS 200D II, EOS Kiss X10)
- Google Pixel 3 Front Standard Camera
- Google Pixel 3 Front Wide Camera
- Google Pixel 3 XL Front Standard Camera
- Google Pixel 3 XL Front Wide Camera
- HMD Global Nokia 9 PureView Front Camera
- HMD Global Nokia 9 PureView Rear Camera
- LG V40 ThinQ Front Standard Camera
- LG V40 ThinQ Rear Main Camera
- LG V40 ThinQ Rear Wide Camera
- Panasonic LUMIX DC-G99 (DC-G90, DC-G91, DC-G95)
- RICOH GR III
- RICOH THETA Z1
- Sony RX0 II (DSC-RX0M2)
Latest lenses added in May 2019
Import photos from devices using the Files section
|Canon||Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS III USM||Canon|
|Canon||Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS III USM +1.4x III||Canon|
|Canon||Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS III USM +2x III||Canon|
|Canon||Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS III USM||Canon|
|Canon||Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS III USM +1.4x III||Canon|
|Canon||Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS III USM +2x III||Canon|
|Canon||Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS III USM||Canon|
|Canon||Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS III USM +1.4x III||Canon|
|Canon||Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS III USM +2x III||Canon|
|HMD||HMD Global Nokia 9 PureView Front Camera||HMD|
|HMD||HMD Global Nokia 9 PureView Rear Camera||HMD|
|LG||LG V40 ThinQ Front Standard Camera||LGE|
|LG||LG V40 ThinQ Front Wide Camera||LGE|
|LG||LG V40 ThinQ Rear Main Camera||LGE|
|LG||LG V40 ThinQ Rear Telephoto Camera||LGE|
|LG||LG V40 ThinQ Rear Wide Camera||LGE|
|PENTAX||HD PENTAX-DA 11-18mm F2.8ED DC AW||Pentax K|
|PENTAX||HD PENTAX-FA 35mm F2||Pentax K|
|Ricoh||Ricoh GR III 18.3mm f/2.8||Ricoh GR|
|SIGMA||SIGMA 28mm F1.4 DG HSM A019||Canon, Nikon F, SIGMA, Sony FE|
|SIGMA||SIGMA 28mm T1.5 FF HIGH-SPEED PRIME||Canon|
|SIGMA||SIGMA 40mm F1.4 DG HSM A018||Nikon F, SIGMA, Sony FE|
|SIGMA||SIGMA 40mm T1.5 FF HIGH-SPEED PRIME||Canon|
|SIGMA||SIGMA 60-600mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM S018||Nikon F|
|SIGMA||SIGMA 70-200mm F2.8 DG OS HSM S018||Canon, Nikon F, SIGMA|
|Sony||Sony FE 135mm F1.8 GM||Sony FE|
|Tokina||Tokina FiRIN 20mm F2 FE AF||Sony FE|
|Tokina||Tokina opera 16-28 mm F2.8 FF||Canon, Nikon F|
|Tokina||Tokina opera 50mm F1.4 FF||Canon, Nikon F|
When you import photos from storage devices, such as SD card and CF card, the photos are now selected from the Import grid’s Files section by default. In previous versions, it used to be from the Device section.
Importing from the Files section is more performant. The Files section selects the DCIM folder of the storage device where the camera saves images. If you want to select any other folder, you can do so.
Improved performance of Auto setting
Experience performance improvements when you apply Auto settings. In the Develop module, the Auto option is located next to Tone in the Basic panel.
carries Adobe Photography Plan subscriptions
Through midnight tonight Eastern Time, B&H
has their Ruggard Electronic Dry Cabinets
drastically reduced with savings up to $500.00 off
If you've been looking for a way to keep your lenses safe from fungus growing on the internal elements, don't miss these deals.
Through midnight tonight Eastern Time, B&H
has the Manfrotto Nitrotech N8 Head & Carbon Fiber Twin Leg Video Tripod Kit (100/75mm, Mid-Level Spreader)
available for $499.88 with free shipping. Regularly $1,059.88.
- 17.64-Pound Load Capacity
- Carbon Fiber Legs
- 29.53 to 66.54" Height Range
- Continually Variable Counterbalance
- Fluid Drag System
- Illuminated Bubble Level
- Mid-Level Spreader
- Padded Tripod Bag
See today's full list of B&H Deal Zone Deals
for excellent savings opportunities.