London, 12 February, 2014
– Canon Europe, world leader in imaging solutions has today released ‘Canon: A Year in Fashion’ a documentary film celebrating the integral relationship between images and fashion. The film launches today to build excitement in the run up to London Fashion Week February 2014, which Canon is the Official Sponsor of for the ninth year.
Presented by Andy Torres, the blogger from StyleScrapbook.com, the film tells the story of the relationship between photography and fashion as seen by those working behind the scenes – from photographer, filmmaker and Canon Explorer Clive Booth, photographer Tony Wellington, through to leading designer Henry Holland and Caroline Rush, CEO of the British Fashion Council. The film also features those who are just about to enter the fashion industry – the young student photographers who shot catwalk shows from the photographers’ pit for the first time in 2013.
James Leipnik, Chief of Communication, Canon Europe, Middle East and Africa, commented: “We are very proud to present the ‘Canon: A Year in Fashion’ documentary to those who share our passion for fashion and the power of image. The new film gives great insights into the creative work that goes on behind the scenes of London Fashion Week and shines a bright spotlight on talented professionals whose work we all admire; and through social media, we can now share it with a wider audience than ever before.”
As Official Imaging Partner to the British Fashion Council, Canon also has a number of exciting initiatives underway for both London Fashion Week and Vodafone London Fashion Weekend to demonstrate the role of imaging in the fashion industry.
Accredited professional photographers will once again be able to receive advice, essential maintenance services, equipment loans and help with minor repairs from a dedicated team of technicians at the Canon Professional Services (CPS) centre at Somerset House. They will also be using Canon-branded buses to travel to and from various locations around London for catwalk shows.
As part of its initiative to support fashion designers, Canon has been working with Henry Holland to project his unique designs onto screens during his catwalk show, using Canon projectors. Shoe designer Sophia Webster will be printing a window display at the Mayfair Hotel using an Océ Arizona flatbed printer while Canon also supported Phoebe English in the run up to London Fashion Week by printing her show invites, look book and projecting her film in the Canon Cinema & Presentation Space at Somerset House.
During Vodafone London Fashion Weekend, the Canon Fashion 360° Studio will once again provide visitors with the opportunity to strike their best poses and have them captured by 64 Canon EOS 100D cameras. The resulting images will then be integrated into an 8-second 360-degree film clip that can be immediately shared via social media; in September 2013, over 5,000 visitors had their poses captured by Canon in this studio.
Further highlights of Canon’s sponsorship activities in London include:
- As the Digital Showcasing Partner at London Fashion Week, Canon will be providing live screenings of catwalk shows, designer presentations and the ‘Canon: A Year in Fashion’ documentary, in the Canon Cinema & Presentation Space at Somerset House.
- The Nelson Stairway area at Somerset House will feature four striking print installations including images from fashion pro photographers Clive Booth, Tony Wellington, Jeff Moore and Ki Price, all printed on Canon imagePROGRAF large format printer devices.
- As part of the ‘Shoot like a Pro’ initiative, students from the Canon Professional Network programme will have the opportunity to shoot the catwalk at Vodafone London Fashion Weekend and enter their images into the ‘Best Shot’ competition to win a Canon kit.
- A lucky winner of the #CanonFashion competition, chosen by three fashion photographers, will enjoy the full London Fashion Week experience, including a shopping spree at Topshop with blogger Andy Torres from StyleScrapbook.com. Canon will also be giving away twenty pairs of passes to Vodafone London Fashion Weekend for 22nd February via Twitter.
London Fashion Week (14-18 February) is the biggest event on the British fashion calendar, and is closely followed by Vodafone London Fashion Weekend (20-23 February), London’s most exclusive designer shopping event. Canon is also a Principal Sponsor of Milan Fashion Week, a Key Sponsor of Paris Fashion Week, the Main Sponsor of Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week in Stockholm and the Professional Photo Partner of Mercedes Benz Fashion Week in Russia.
For the latest information about Canon and fashion, please see Canon’s Facebook and Twitter pages #CanonFashion.
The video can be viewed at: