From Canon Australia: Firmware Version 1.2.1 incorporates the following functional improvements and fixes.
- Uncompressed HDMI output is now enabled.
- Enables the center AF point to autofocus when the camera is used with Canon EF lens/extender combinations whose combined maximum aperture is f/8.
- Improves the speed of the camera's acquisition of focus when using a Canon Speedlite's AF-assist beam.
- Fixes a phenomenon in which the LCD monitor may freeze and display Err 70 or Err 80 when a still photo is taken during Live View or in movie shooting mode.
- Fixes a phenomenon that may occur when the continuous shooting priority setting is enabled for multiple exposures, such that, after the sixth image is taken, there is a slight pause before the remainder of the sequence is completed.
- Fixes a phenomenon in which the viewfinder display shows incorrect information during AEB shooting.
- Communication with the WFT-E7 Wireless File Transmitter has been improved.
- When images have been successfully transferred with the WFT-E7 Wireless File Transmitter through the FTP protocol, an "O" will be displayed. When images have not been successfully transferred with the WFT-E7 Wireless File Transmitter through the FTP protocol, an "X" will be displayed.
- Fixes a phenomenon in which the camera may not function properly when an Eye-Fi card is used.
- Fixes a phenomenon in which the focal length value listed in the Exif information is not displayed correctly for images shot with the EF 24-70mm F4L IS USM lens.
- Fixes a phenomenon in which the lens firmware cannot be updated properly.
- Corrects errors in the Arabic language menu.
- Fixes a phenomenon in which the camera changes the AF microadjustment value to -8.
- Fixes a phenomenon in which the on-screen guidance cannot be fully displayed when setting the maximum limit value for the "Setting the ISO Speed Range for Auto ISO" option.
* Items No.1 through 12 have been incorporated into firmware version 1.2.0.
* Items No.1 through 14 have been incorporated into firmware version 1.2.1.
Firmware Version 1.2.1 is for cameras with firmware version 1.2.0 or earlier. If the camera's firmware is already version 1.2.1, it is not necessary to update the firmware.
- Once the EOS 5D Mark III camera is updated to version 1.2.1, it cannot be restored to a previous firmware version (Version 1.0.7 through 1.1.3).
- It is recommended that the latest application software*1 be used, once the EOS 5D Mark III is updated to the new firmware version 1.2.1 from older firmware (versions 1.0.7 through 1.1.3). Certain previous versions of these applications do not support functions which are added by the new firmware.
- In order to use EOS Utility software with the updated EOS 5D Mark III, the EOS Utility software must be updated to the latest version.
When cameras, or images taken with cameras, have been updated to the new Firmware Version 1.2.1 (or 1.2.0), and are used with the old version application software, the following phenomena will occur.
- The "HDMI output" function, "HDMI output setting" or "HDMI output frame rate setting" cannot be registered to My Menu of the camera.
- The lens aberration compensation data cannot be registered to the camera.
Digital Photo Professional
- If the Lens Aberration Correction Window is chosen when working with a RAW image taken with a camera running Firmware Version 1.2.1 or 1.2.0, the adjustment window will automatically shut down and the adjustment (correction) cannot be made.
- Due to the differences in the camera firmware versions, the following phenomena will occur.
- RAW images taken with a Firmware Version 1.2.1 (or 1.2.0) camera cannot be processed on cameras with Firmware Version 1.1.3 or before.
- When images taken with a camera running Firmware Version 1.2.1 (or 1.2.0), are read by a camera running Firmware Version 1.1.3 or older, Direct print is not possible.
RAW images taken with a Firmware Version 1.2.1 (or 1.2.0) camera cannot be processed on cameras with Firmware Version 1.1.3 or before.
When images taken with a camera running Firmware Version 1.2.1 (or 1.2.0), are read by a camera running Firmware Version 1.1.3 or older, Direct print is not possible.
- Accompanying the enhancements to the functions, the instruction manual has also been revised. Users are asked to download both the latest firmware and the instruction manual. You can download the latest instruction manual from our Web site.
Download the Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware 1.2.1 Update (.zip). (thanks Ben)
Canon Autralia has published an updated Canon EOS 5D Mark III Owner's Manual
that addresses the changes in firmware version 1.2.x. (thanks Gus) Manual Notes:
This manual is for the EOS 5D Mark III installed with firmware version 1.2.0 or later. Please refer to the pages below for further information about the new functions added by firmware version 1.2.x.
|AF when the maximum aperture is f/8||p.85|
|AF with group H lenses: AF point expansion (surrounding AF points: above, below, left, right)||p.84|
|Simultaneuous display of LCD monitor and HDMI output||p.245|
|HDMI frame rate settings||p.246|
|Time code settings for HDMI output||p.241|
There are also updated versions of the following manuals available for download:
Canon Digital Photo Professional v 3.13 - Windows | Macintosh
EOS Utility v 3.13 - Windows | Macintosh
has the Canon PowerShot G15 Digital Camera
available for $399.00 with free shipping. Compare at $429.00.
(via BuyDig) has the Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Lens
available for $319.00 with free shipping. Compare at $359.00.
has the HGST 1TB Touro Mobile 2.5" External Portable Hard Drive
available for $69.99 with free shipping. Regularly $84.99.
For a limited time, DigitalRev
has the Nikon 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED AF-S DX VR Nikkor Lens
available for $209.00. Compare at $396.95.
If you're a first-time customer, use promotion code E487X3IX
at checkout (directions here
) to receive an additional $10.00 off
your purchase of $100.00 or more!
Nikon Professional Services
has published some D800/D800E Tips
that included a list of lenses ideal for use with the D800E.
From NPS D800/D800E Tips
: Aperture and Complex Subjects
With cameras like the D800E, which are suited to photography of visually complex subjects, maximizing lens resolution is vital. Though results will vary from lens to lens, the greatest contrast all the way to frame peripheries can generally be achieved at an aperture setting two to three stops down from maximum aperture. Some lenses that offer excellent resolution are listed below.
The D800E offers better resolution at aperture settings with which diffraction is not an issue. As the aperture setting has more influence on resolution with the D800E than with the D800, D800E users should always keep the possible effects of diffraction in mind.
B&H carries the Nikon D800 and D800E DSLR cameras.
has the Sony PCM-M10/R Portable Digital Audio Recorder (Red)
available for an in-cart price of $199.99 with free shipping. Regularly $249.99.
has the Kata DB-453 DPS Series Camera Bag
available for $29.95 with free shipping. Regularly $59.95.
First-time customers can use promotion code E487X3IX
to receive $10.00 off
any purchase of $100.00 or more.
With the promotion code, you can get the Canon EOS 7D DSLR Camera
for $1,009.00. Compare at $1,248.00.
If you need help figuring out how to use the promotion code, check out DigitalRev's coupon directions here