The new Canon 1D X firmware special page
includes the Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Lens
(they actually say "f/4.5-5.6L") and Canon EF 1.4x III Extender
combination under the "Current Canon EF Lens/Extender Combinations That Support Cross-Type Autofocus with Firmware Update Ver. 1.1.1 for EOS-1D X". (thanks John)
The problem is that Canon 70-300 L is not compatible with the 1.4x in the first place. The Canon USA website indicates that the 1.4x "... is only compatible with fixed focal length L-series lenses 135mm and over, as well as the EF 70-200/2.8L, EF 70-200/2.8L IS, EF 70-200/4L, and EF 100-400/4.5-5.6L." Granted, the compatible 70-200 f/4L IS is missing, but the 70-300 L is not listed.
I've tried mounting the 1.4x to the 70-300 L before - and it does not fit. The rear lens element physically hits the front element of the extender.
What I just discovered, however, is that the 70-300 L's rear element retracts into the lens far enough that, at about 250mm, there is enough clearance for the 1.4x to mount.
The available focal length range is about 350-420mm. There is a physical bump at the lower end of that range with (guessing) the rubber around the edge of the extender element contacting the rear 70-300 L lens element or its edge ring. This combination indeed autofocuses on the 1D X with the new firmware.
I'll put this combination on the ISO 12233 chart testing list to see what the image quality looks like, but ... I'm not sure that I recommend mounting this combination due to potential damage the to lens. I'll try to find out what Canon says about this.
The new Canon EOS-1D X firmware update version 1.1.1
(leaked earlier today), is now available for download
. Firmware Version 1.1.1 incorporates the following improvements and fixes.
- Enables the center AF point to autofocus when the camera is used with lens/extender combinations whose combined maximum aperture is f/8 (f/5.6 without the firmware update).
* Please see the "Lenses and Usable AF points" section of the revised instruction manual for more details on the lens & camera combinations.
- Displays the viewfinder information (such as the AF frames, grid, etc.) in red during autofocusing in AI Servo AF.
* When shooting in dark environments during AI Servo AF, the AF points can be easily confirmed.
* During AI Servo AF, the viewfinder will be lit intermittently, not continuously.
- Corrects a phenomenon in which the metering value of the AE sensor becomes incorrect and the captured images become pitch-black depending on the timing of lens attachment and/or detachment.
- Fixes a phenomenon in which Err 70 may occur during AEB shooting.
- Corrects errors in the Arabic menu.
- Fixes a phenomenon in which the firmware of the lenses cannot be updated normally.
Wisely being asked over on the Facebook page is: Will the Canon EOS 5D Mark III, with essentially the same AF system, also get these features in a firmware update?
Again, B&H, Adorama and Amazon have the EOS 1D X in stock.
has published a compatibility chart
for its Nikon battery packs.
Use promotion code SONYMEM5
($5.00 off) at BuyDig.com
to get the Sony 32 GB Secure Digital High Capacity (SDHC) Memory Card (Class 10)
for $18.99 with free shipping.
From Canon USA: LAKE SUCCESS, N.Y., October 17, 2012
– Canon U.S.A., Inc., a leader in digital imaging solutions, today announced a new firmware update in response to user requests which further enhances the capabilities of Canon's flagship EOS-1D X Digital SLR camera. The EOS-1D X will now be capable of AF point illumination during AI Servo AF and cross-type AF for maximum apertures as small as f/8. The new firmware update is available now at no charge from the Canon U.S.A. website and can be downloaded by end users or through Canon Factory Service Centers. AF Point Illumination During AI Servo AF
To support the needs of wedding, portrait, sports, wildlife, and theatrical performance photographers working in low light, the new firmware allows AF points in the EOS-1D X's viewfinder to be illuminated in red when the shutter button is pressed halfway during AI Servo AF, for easy viewing of the selected point. This valuable feature will enhance the photographers' ability to aim the camera accurately in low-light conditions, and when photographing dark subjects. To preserve exposure-metering accuracy, illumination is intermittent, not continuous. Three choices will be selectable from the menu system - Non-illuminated, Illuminated (Normal) and Illuminated (Brighter). Cross-Type AF Support at f/8
The EOS-1D X is equipped with an innovative 61-point High Density Reticular AF System featuring up to 41 cross-type AF points, depending on the lens in use. The cross-type AF points recognize a wide variety of subject matter, making them highly desirable for maximum autofocus performance. Until now, cross-type AF on the EOS-1D X has been limited to EF lenses and lens/extender combinations with a maximum aperture of f/5.6 or larger. The new firmware allows cross-type autofocusing with the center AF point even when the maximum aperture of a Canon EF lens/extender combination becomes as small as f/8. Ideal for wildlife photographers and others who often use EF super-telephoto lenses with extenders, this new feature greatly expands the range of EF lens/extender combinations that support autofocus when used with the EOS-1D X.
If AF point expansion is selected with an f/8 maximum aperture lens/extender combination, the four AF points surrounding the center point will act as AF Assist points. This option effectively expands the size of the AF detection area to enhance autofocus performance with subjects that are small in the frame and difficult to track, such as small animals and birds in flight. AF points above and below the center will be sensitive to vertical contrast, while points to the left and right will be sensitive to horizontal contrast.
Please visit the following website for complete information on the firmware update: http://www.usa.canon.com/eos1dxfirmwareupdate
The Canon 1D X
is in stock at B&H
has the Flashpoint 16-Rib 86" Parabolic White Umbrella
available for $41.95 with free shipping. Regularly $49.95.
The Flashpoint 16-Rib 86" Parabolic Silver Umbrella
is also available for $49.95. Regularly $59.95.