All-new optical design delivers a dramatically faster autofocus speed and image stabilization performance of 5 stops
February 6, 2017, Commack, NY
– Tamron, a leading manufacturer of optics for diverse applications, announces the launch of SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD G2 (Model A025), a new telephoto zoom lens product for full-frame and APS-C DSLR cameras. Model A025 was developed by substantially enhancing the features of its predecessor. These include a thorough review of the optical, mechanical and electronic designs to increase autofocus speed and precision, reinforce VC (Vibration Compensation) functions and to shorten the MOD. New features include eBAND Coating, Moisture-Proof and Dust-Resistant Construction, Fluorine Coating and compatibility with teleconverters. The lens design features a metal-based barrel for improved handling and ease-of-use. The result of this dramatic evolution is Model A025, a high-speed telephoto lens that widens the scope of expression for photography in a broad range of genres, such as portraits, landscapes, sports and photojournalism. The lens is expected to be available in the U.S. in March at $1299.
1. Outstanding resolution and contrast reproduction performance, beautiful bokeh and full compatibility with Tamron teleconverters
Based on the current model (A009), the optical design has been revised and improved. Both the resolution and contrast reproduction performance far exceed the present levels. Bokeh has been enhanced and expanded to deliver outstanding background effects across the entire zoom range. Use of a circular diaphragm with nine blades further improves bokeh. The optical design of the new A025 consists of 23 elements in 17 groups. Optimum deployment of XLD (eXtra Low Dispersion) and LD (Low Dispersion) glass elements thoroughly eliminate chromatic aberrations, which tend to become particularly prominent in high-speed telephoto lenses, across the entire zoom range, while ensuring uniform, high-level image quality even on the periphery of the image plane.
The new lens is also fully compatible with the TELECONVERTER 1.4x (Model TC-X14) and TELECONVERTER 2.0x (Model TC-X20), which increase the focal length of the lens to 1.4 times and 2 times the original, respectively. Both teleconverters are carefully designed and constructed to provide outstanding high quality.
2. Improved VC system provides highest Vibration Compensation ability in its class (5 stops using CIPA standard compliant) and offers three situation-specific VC modes
Utilizing Tamron's original VC (Vibration Compensation) system, which uses a moving coil mechanism, further reinforcement of the drive system power and control performance has now achieved the highest VC level in its class, with an image stabilization performance of 5 stops according to the CIPA standard (using VC Mode 3).
Also, the VC system of Model A025 offers three VC modes, including one mode exclusively for panning. Photographers can freely choose between the different VC modes according to their shooting conditions. Even when telephoto shooting in low light, which tends to be severely affected by camera shake, photographers can now enjoy jitter-free handheld shooting with much greater flexibility.
- VC MODE 1 is the standard mode that strikes a great balance between the stability of the viewfinder image and the stabilization effects.
- VC MODE 2 is exclusively used for panning.
- VC MODE 3 prioritizes the stabilization of the captured images and forgoes the stabilization of the viewfinder image.
With the optional accessory TAMRON TAP-in Console, you can customize the configuration of VC MODE 1. Choose the viewfinder view of either standard or image priority.
3. Demonstratively improved autofocus speed and responsiveness
Model A025 is equipped with a USD (Ultrasonic Silent Drive) ring-type ultrasonic motor, whose outstanding responsiveness and control ensures accurate high-speed focusing. Incorporating two advanced, high-performance microcomputers and optimizing the algorithm has improved both the focusing speed and accuracy compared with SP 70-200mm (Model A009). Additionally, thanks to the Full-time Manual Focus override mechanism, photographers shooting with AF can instantaneously make fine focusing adjustments using MF without wasting time by switching the AF-MF mode back and forth. 4. Focuses closer (shorter Minimum Object Distance, or MOD) for greater versatility Improvements made to the focus cam and zoom cam inside the lens barrel have reduced the MOD from 50.7 inches in the older Model A009 to 37.4 inches for Model A025, which has a maximum magnification ratio of 1:6.1. The shorter MOD, coupled with the excellent optical performance of the SP 70-200mm (Model A025), allows photographers to further broaden their range of expression.
5. Optimized and exclusively designed eBAND Coating
The new A025 features Tamron's original eBAND (Extended Bandwidth & Angular-Dependency) Coating, a technology that combines a nano-structured layer with an extremely low refractive index with the conventional multiple-layer coatings. Optimized and exclusively designed for this new zoom, the eBAND Coating provides superior anti-reflection performance, effectively reducing any flare and ghosting. Even when taking backlit portraits, the new lens delivers flawless, crystal clear images.
6. Moisture-Proof and Dust-Resistant Construction
Ideal for use in outdoor photography, the new 70-200mm telephoto zoom has moisture-resistant construction because special sealants that are dust-resistant and moisture-resistant are used at every joint and seam. The sealant material helps to prevent the intrusion of any dirt, dust or water droplets, compared to conventional Moisture-Resistant Construction.
7. Fluorine Coating for greater protection
The front surface of the lens element is coated with a protective fluorine compound that is water- and oil-repellant. The lens surface is easier to wipe clean and less vulnerable to the damaging effects of dirt, dust, moisture and fingerprints.
8. Electromagnetic diaphragm system now used also for Nikon-mount lenses
An electromagnetic diaphragm system, which has been a standard feature for Canon-mount lenses, is now available for Nikon-mount lenses. More precise diaphragm and aperture control is possible because the diaphragm blades are driven and controlled by the motor through electronic pulse signals.
9. Lightweight and easy-to-hold tripod mount is compatible with Arca-Swiss style quick release plates
A new textured grip and Arca-Swiss style tripod interface enhances both speed and utility. Because the tripod mount is made of lightweight magnesium, it is much easier to carry.
10. Compatible with TAMRON TAP-in Console, an optional accessory product
The optional TAP-in Console provides a USB connection to a personal computer, enabling users to easily update the lens firmware as well as customize features, including fine adjustments to the AF and VC.
11. Based on the rigorous quality standards worthy of the SP series, this new lens is manufactured with a thorough attention to details
For the SP series products in particular, Tamron has established rigorous design and quality standards. These standards apply to the optical design, mechanical design and the cosmetic appearance, as well as to such wide-ranging areas as the product's robustness and improvements in the various individual functions. Tamron thoroughly reviews all of the design and manufacturing processes in order to offer products to customers with even-higher levels of precision and quality.
For the SP 70-200mm G2 (Model A025), the optical design was refreshed, mechanical parts were improved and a new exterior design was adopted. To maximize the optical performance intrinsic to this product, Tamron improved the accuracy of the component parts and increased the precision of the overall zooming mechanism.
has the Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD G2
available for preorder.
Through February 14, use coupon code LENSLOVE
to get 50% off
your second rental item in the same order.
*Valid for orders placed 2/6 - 2/14/17. Discount applies to the 2nd most expensive item.
results from the Sony a7R II
along with specifications and measurements have been added to the Sony FE 24-70mm f/2.8 GM Lens Review
If not Sony's most-acclaimed FE lens, the 24-70mm f/2.8 G Master Lens is very close to having that designation. That strong reputation, along with the usefulness of the 24-70mm focal length range combined with the wide f/2.8 aperture, placed this lens at the top of our Sony to-test list.
Note that in the longer half of the focal lengths, this lens copy is delivering considerably sharper results on the right side than on the left (the sharper right side results show in the charts).
Of particular interest to this site's audience will be the comparison between the Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II and Sony FE 24-70mm f/2.8 GM Lenses
. Always use caution when making comparisons between lenses tested on different camera brands, but I think there is value in this comparison.
The comparison between the Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8G AF-S Lens and the Sony FE 24-70mm f/2.8 GM Lens
is also an interesting one. B&H
has the Sony FE 24-70mm f/2.8 GM Lens
in stock. This lens is also included in the Sony Trade-in Savings Event
. Trade in a camera or lens (even something of very low value) and get an additional $330.00 off of this lens in addition to the trade-in value.
has the Adobe Photoshop Elements 15 and Premiere Elements 15 (DVD)
available for $89.00 with free expedited shipping. Regularly $149.00.
- Photo and Video Editing Software Bundle
- Edit & Organize with Touchscreen Devices
- Frown & Squint Adjustments, Batch Edits
- Camera Shake Reduction, Haze Removal
- Supports Editing and Viewing 4K Movies
- Hollywood Effects and Face Detection
- Enhanced Search and Smart Tags
- Guided Edits for Both Photo and Video
- Built-In Social Media Sharing
- For Mac OS X 10.10-11 & Windows 7, 8, 10
February 6th, 2017, Seoul, South Korea
– A global optics brand Samyang Optics announces a new XEEN 20mm T1.9 lens for professional video-cine. This lens brings the range of XEEN cinema lenses to eight and compliments the existing lenses: 14mm, 16mm, 24mm, 35mm, 50mm, 85mm and 135mm. The new XEEN 20mm offers outstanding image quality from resolving power for 4K+ production for filming video and cinema.
XEEN is a specialized brand of professional video-cine lenses launched by Samyang Optics in 2015. The XEEN series are designed for the ultra-high definition video environment and feature outstanding optical performance for 4K and above. The lenses also feature X-Coating Technology and 11 aperture blades that help create beautiful and round bokeh to introduce emotional and natural expression.
The 24mm x 36mm negative size allows XEEN lenses to not only work with full frame cameras, but also Super 35, APS-C, APS-H and APS-P cameras. XEEN lenses are available in five different mounts - PL, EF, F, E, and MFT and two different focus scales - metric and imperial units. All focus and iris gear rings are identically positioned among eight lenses to speed up the lens changes.
Inheriting the renowned image quality of Samyang’s wide angle series, the XEEN 20mm T1.9 enhances the XEEN line up and brings the total range to eight lenses. With the expansion of XEEN Lenses and the existing Samyang manual focus lenses, plus the recent autofocus lineup and premium XP lenses, Samyang Optics pursues ‘Total Imaging Solution’ optics brand.
Created to deliver infinite possibilities, the XEEN 20mm T1.9 will be launched globally in March 2017. The recommended retail price of each lens is EUR 2,200.
carries the Rokinon-branded XEEN Cine Lenses