From Nikon: Capture NX 2.4.4 Full Version
This software is offered to those who have purchased Capture NX 2. When this software is run, it may be necessary to enter the product key again to confirm ownership of a previous version of the software.
Be sure that you have read and understand the terms of the license agreement and the sections below before initiating download of this software from the links at the bottom of this page. Modifications that apply to both the Windows and Macintosh versions
- Support for RAW images captured with the COOLPIX P7800 has been added.
- An Automatic (Underwater) option has been added to the Auto Distortion pull-down menu under Camera & Lens Corrections in the Adjust section of the Edit List.
However, the Automatic (Underwater) option is only displayed when all of the following conditions are met.
- The image was captured with an advanced camera with interchangeable lenses that supports underwater automatic distortion control, and a lens that also supports the function.
- The image was captured in RAW format or in JPEG format with the camera's Auto distortion control function disabled.
- The following issues have been resolved.
- When the slider bar was manipulated while applying settings such as Gaussian Blur, High Pass, or Colorize, flicker in the form of random blocks was sometimes displayed.
Additional modifications to the Windows version
- When OK in the Page Setup dialog opened from the Print layout dialog was clicked after changing printers using the Print button in the Print layout dialog, only the default printer (that normally used) was named in the Printer section at top left in the Print layout dialog.
- "aaa..." was displayed for Artist in the File & Camera Information section of the Metadata palette. (Language versions other than the English version).
- When a date was entered in the Date Created text box in the XMP/IPTC Information section of the Metadata palette, and the user attempted to save the image, an error was displayed and the image could not be saved. (German language version only).
- When an image was edited using the LCH tool in the Adjust section of the Edit List, a message prompting the user to restart the application was sometimes displayed.
- When this software is installed on a computer to which ViewNX 2 Ver. 2.2.3 or earlier has been installed, the Picture Control Utility cannot be launched from ViewNX 2. Please upgrade ViewNX 2 to Ver. 2.2.4 or later.
- RAW images saved with Thumbnail only selected for Embed Preview When Saving NEF/NRW in Capture NX 2 Preferences will appear grainy with display in and printing from ViewNX 2.
- If either Capture NX 2 or the Picture Control Utility (one or the other) is launched in 32-bit mode on a Macintosh computer, Capture NX 2 may freeze unexpectedly if Save as a new Custom Picture Control or Load Custom Picture Control Settings is selected from the Manage Picture Control menu in Capture NX 2.
- To use the software in 32-bit mode, be sure that both Capture NX 2 and the Picture Control Utility are running in 32-bit mode.
Download: Capture NX 2.4.4 - Windows | Macintosh
By request, I have added a modestly more complicated HDR example to the recently-posted Natural-Looking HDR Images
On that page, scroll down to the Mowhawk Falls image with the mouse-over links below it to see the new example.
From Canon: Canon launches the Student Network to help students take their next step with imaging United Kingdom, Republic Of Ireland, 23rd September 2013
– Canon today unveils a new program to help engage students in the world of photography. The Canon Student Network (CSN) is designed to help aspiring photographers studying photography or equivalent courses to take their next step with imaging and further develop their love of photography along with real world business advice.
The initial phase of the programme, which launches today, rolls out to 11 universities across the UK and Ireland and provides tailored experiences, opportunities and offers to help the students develop, as their course progresses.
The opportunities for students include experience events to find out what it is like to be a professional photographer such as “Shoot the Show” at London Fashion Week. There will also be events for those interested in most types of photography including sports, wildlife, portrait and wedding.
Education including tips, tricks and business advice from noted professional photographers via seminars around the country and online are also available along with unique offers. There is the opportunity to network with prospective companies and agencies to help establish contacts suitable for a working life in photography once they complete the course.
A headline photo competition, where the winner will have the opportunity to have their photo used as the main image within a major Canon campaign including print, outdoor and online advertising as well as in store, is a huge opportunity for any budding photographer.
The opportunities, benefits and training compliment and progress with the courses the students are studying. As the programme has been developed in partnership with the universities, it ensures the programme will be of benefit to the course work set and future employment prospects of the students.
Access is easy and free for eligible students. Those in first year simply need to be studying photography or equivalent course, within one of the initial 11 roll out universities and sign up to the free Project 1709 – Canon’s beta online imaging management system. Students in their second year will also be required to own a current Canon DSLR and lens. A course for students in their third year will be rolled out in the next academic year, there will be no extra requirement for students in order to join.
To sign up students need to register on http://www.canonstudentnetwork.co.uk/
From Adobe: Powerful Mobile Capabilities Make Photos and Videos Accessible Anywhere, Any Time, on Multiple Devices SAN JOSE, Calif. — Sept. 24, 2013
— Adobe (Nasdaq:ADBE) today announced the availability of Adobe Photoshop Elements 12 and Adobe Premiere Elements 12, new versions of the No. 1 selling consumer photo and video-editing software*. Customers will enjoy powerful mobile capabilities, and reap the benefits of professional-grade editing technology delivered in an intuitive experience that makes it easy to create stunning results.
“Our customers have a lot of photos and videos, and they love to use their home computers to organize them and be creative, but they also want the freedom and flexibility to view, edit and share on their mobile devices,” said Lea Hickman, vice president, products, Creative Consumer Business, Adobe. “Photoshop Elements 12 and Premiere Elements 12 will provide customers with the best of both worlds, quickly, easily and at their discretion.” Easily Create and Share Sensational Photos with Photoshop Elements 12 with new features and tools that include:
- Mobile Access - With Elements Mobile Albums, customers always have access to their precious memories. Powered by Adobe Revel, people can view, edit and share their photos and videos seamlessly on their smartphones, tablets and desktop devices whether at home or on-the-go.
- Content-Aware Move - This exclusive Adobe technology lets customers easily move objects within a photo and automatically fills in resulting empty spaces.
- Pet Eye Correction - Added in response to customer requests, Pet Eye provides an easy solution to the problem of flash reflection in animals’ eyes, which is not addressed by Red Eye correction technology.
- Auto Smart Tone – Exclusive intelligent software that learns a customer’s editing preferences, resulting in one-click adjustments based on their choiceswhich gets better the more you use it.
- Quick Frames, Effects and Textures – One-click photo frames, effects and textures, inspired by the most popular looks customers have been creating in Expert mode.
- Guided Edits - Step-by-step instructions to create Zoom Burst and Photo Puzzle effects, as well as Restore Old Photo, which enable users to restore damaged or old photos.
- Straighten Tool - Now fills in missing edges through the use of exclusive Content-Aware technology.
- Share to Twitter – Share a photo with a tweet on Twitter.
- 64-bit support for Mac – Allows for more efficient use of your computers’ built in memory, maximizing performance and enabling larger image files and videos to be edited quickly.
Create Unforgettable Movies with ease with Premiere Elements 12. New features and tools include:
- Guided Edits – Step-by-step navigation on how to get started, trim frames, add scores, transitions, titles and narrations, as well as animating graphics and creating pictures within pictures.
- Scores – More than 50 soundtracks that automatically regenerate to fit the duration of a clip, making it easy to create home movies with perfectly timed intros, outros and background music.
- Sound Effects – More than 250 effects that add excitement and dimension to audio tracks.
- Auto Smart Tone – The same exclusive technology found in Photoshop Elements 12, for video.
- Film Looks – Four new filters to add stylized Hollywood flare to home movies including Comic, Trinity, Yesteryear and Cross Process.
- Motion tracking – Spotlight your subject by adding graphics, text and effects that move with the object.
Pricing and Availability
Adobe Photoshop Elements 12 and Adobe Premiere Elements 12 (Mac and Windows) are immediately available for purchase at www.adobe.com for US$99.99, with upgrade pricing of US$79.99. The Photoshop Elements 12 & Premiere Elements 12 bundle is available now for US$149.99, with upgrade pricing of US$119.99. They will soon be available at retail stores such as Adorama Camera, Inc, Amazon.com, B & H Photo and Video, Best Buy, Best Buy Canada, New Egg, Office Depot, OfficeMax, Staples and Staples Canada.