has the DJI Ronin 3-Axis Brushless Gimbal Stabilizer
in stock with free expedited shipping.
If you haven't seen what tihs stabilizer can do, then check out the awesome video below and the behind-the-scenes look at its creation.
Post Date: 8/28/2014 1:02:01 PM CT Posted By: Sean
From Dire Studio:
ShutterCount displays the number of shutter actuations (the shutter count) of your Canon EOS digital camera. The shutter count is read directly from a USB-connected camera, and thus provides accurate numbers that are not attainable with simple EXIF-based methods.
With ShutterCount you can easily check whether a newly purchased camera is really new, or check how heavily used a pre-owned item is. And you can save a trip to a Canon Service Center by doing the reading for yourself.
The app provides unlimited readings for an unlimited number of cameras, so you can freely track actual camera usage. Even if you work for a rental house or just lend a camera to a friend.
ShutterCount only displays the shutter count for still photos - video clips recorded are not included in the number. For a separate mirror movement reading (that includes videos) you should consult an authorized Canon Service Center.
History logging allows you to track camera usage. Logs are stored in CSV format that can be imported into Apple's Numbers or Microsoft Excel for further processing. History logging is not available on Windows. Note: for the best compatibility with your camera it is recommended to upgrade the camera's firmware to the latest available version. WiFi on the EOS 6D and 70D must be turned off as it blocks the USB port when turned on!
- Canon EOS-1D C (requires firmware 1.1.3 or later for correct serial number display)
- Canon EOS-1D Mark IV
- Canon EOS-1D X
- Canon EOS 5D Mark II
- Canon EOS 5D Mark III (requires firmware 1.2.1 or later for correct serial number display)
- Canon EOS 6D
- Canon EOS 7D
- Canon EOS 50D
- Canon EOS 60D
- Canon EOS 70D
- Canon EOS 100D / Rebel SL1 / Kiss X7
- Canon EOS 500D / Rebel T1i / Kiss X3
- Canon EOS 550D / Rebel T2i / Kiss X4
- Canon EOS 600D / Rebel T3i / Kiss X5
- Canon EOS 650D / Rebel T4i / Kiss X6i
- Canon EOS 700D / Rebel T5i / Kiss X7i
- Canon EOS 1000D / Rebel XS / Kiss F
- Canon EOS 1100D / Rebel T3 / Kiss X50
- Canon EOS 1200D / Rebel T5 / Kiss X70
ShutterCount is certified to work with all of the cameras listed above, using their latest firmware revision.
Please quit all applications that might connect to your camera (e.g. Canon EOS Utility, Capture One, Adobe Photoshop Lightroom) before launching ShutterCount.
Questions? Problems? Check out the ShutterCount FAQ
or contact our support
Compatibility: Mac OS X
($2.99) - Current version is 1.2, Requires OS X 10.6.8 or later, 64-bit processor Windows
($2.99) - Current version is 1.0, Requires Windows 7 SP1 or later, 32-bit or 64-bit processor Note:
I just purchased the ShutterCount app for Windows and it worked perfectly on my Windows 7 laptop. It was able to tell me the shutter count on my EOS 7D and 5D Mark III as well as each camera's serial number.
Post Date: 8/28/2014 12:01:16 PM CT Posted By: Sean
(via DigJungle) has a Canon EOS Rebel SL1 with EF-S 18-55mm IS STM & EF 75-300mm III Lens bundle
available for $549.99 with free shipping. Compare at $749.00. Bundle Includes:
- Canon EOS Rebel SL1 DSLR Camera (review)
- Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Lens (review)
- Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III Lens
This is likely a grey market item and not technically eligible for a Canon USA warranty.
Post Date: 8/28/2014 10:14:49 AM CT Posted By: Sean
With the Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM Lens
and Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM Lens
reviews recently happening back to back for me, a question that I had in my mind for quite some time became highlighted. That question was: "What is the difference between the image stabilization systems found in Canon's EF-S STM and other budget-priced lenses and those found in higher grade lenses including those in the L series?
Perhaps the question was most-driven by the "feel" of a large price differential between these image stabilization systems. Determining exactly how much IS adds to the price tag is not easy since there are not many Canon lens focal lengths or focal length ranges available in the same max aperture with image stabilization being an optional feature. Three examples are the 70-200 f/4, 70-200 f/2.8 and 100mm f/2.8 macro lenses. In all three of these instances, the IS version is considerably more expensive, with the $450-$1,050 difference being more than the price of most STM lenses. In all fairness, the IS version of the three just-mentioned lens siblings is a considerably-newer model and newer lenses typically have better technology and are always more expensive. But, it still "feels" like the IS system in the higher grade lenses is more expensive than the IS system in the lower-priced STM (and similar) lenses. This of course drives my wonder about what the difference between IS systems is.
So, I asked Canon. My direct question was "Can you explain the differences between the image stabilization system implemented in an inexpensive lens (such as the EF-S 10-18 STM) compared to that implemented in a high end pro lens (such as the EF 16-35 f/4 L)?" Following is the information that Canon USA and Canon Inc. were willing to disclose: EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM
EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM
- The compensation optics lens barrel is suspended by 3 springs that hold it in place in the center. This makes it possible to eliminate the compensation optics retaining mechanism in this IS unit.
- The drive actuator for the compensation optics lens barrel is constructed using the same permanent magnets and coils used in existing IS units.
- Making use of the technology that has been garnered in existing L-series IS lenses, such as a stepping motor for the compensation optics barrel lock mechanism, this lens is able to achieve both high-performance image stabilization and compactness of design.
- The moving parts in the compensation optics barrel have been improved from sliding friction to rolling friction by way of combining rolling balls and V-grooves in an ultra-minimum-friction structure. This design improves IS performance while reducing power consumption.
In addition, the following table was provided to me:
|Specification||EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM||EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM|
|IS Mechanism||Parallel-moving corrective optics (Single element.) IS unit is based on the one used in the EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II.||Parallel-moving corrective optics (Group of 4 elements.) IS unit is newly designed especially for this lens.|
|Shake Detection||Via gyro sensors (1 sensor each for yaw and pitch)|
|IS Activation||Turned on with the IS switch and activated by pressing the shutter button halfway (SW-1)|
|Centering/Lock when IS is Off||When the IS is Off, image stabilization optics are locked in place with a spring suspension mechanism rather than a center lock mechanism.||When the IS is Off, the image-stabilizing lens group is centered and locked in position. |
|Mode Selection||None (Automatic switching between normal shooting mode and panning mode is determined by gyro sensor signal.)|
|Vibration Reduction (Based on CIPA Standards)||Equivalent to 4 shutter speed steps faster (Focal length 18mm, 35mm equivalent: 29mm, using EOS 7D)||Equivalent to 4 shutter speed steps faster (Focal length 35mm, using EOS-1D X)|
|Dynamic IS/Hybrid IS||None|
While not completely revealing, the above information does show some of the IS design differences between these lens classes.
Post Date: 8/28/2014 8:44:46 AM CT Posted By: Bryan
From Corel: New editing tools, faster brushes and modern UI updates make PaintShop Pro X7 the affordable photo and design choice for creating stunning images and projects
Ottawa, ON – August 27, 2014 – Corel’s Photo Editing group introduces Corel PaintShop Pro X7 and Corel PaintShop Pro X7 Ultimate, the latest editions of its professional quality photo editing and design software. Photographers and designers can achieve their best work faster with the new content-aware Magic Fill, extensive user interface improvements and brushes that offer a 30% performance boost. Giving photo pros and enthusiasts an image editing application that’s affordable and easy to use, Corel PaintShop Pro X7 delivers the impressive feature set and power expected from a professional caliber software package.
“With the new PaintShop Pro X7, we’re continuing our commitment to give photographers and creative users the tools they need to create their best-ever work. X7 offers more creativity, speed and productivity to help you achieve amazing results, faster,” said Greg Wood, Senior Product Director for Photo Products at Corel. “This array of creative possibilities is available for just $79, making PaintShop Pro X7 a must-try app for anyone who’s felt the sticker shock from subscription or high license pricing.”
PaintShop Pro X7 offers new tools and redesigned features to deliver an unmatched photo editing experience:
- New! Make it vanish with Magic Fill: The new Magic Fill provides content-aware editing that works with your favorite selection tools. Erase an unwanted element in your photo and seamlessly replace it with content that matches the background area—even if it’s textured or varied.
- Improved! 30% faster brush performance: Enjoy more responsive brushes, including the Paint Brush, Airbrush and photo retouching brushes that are up to 30% faster. Plus, 64-bit power means you can achieve results quickly.
- New! Text and Shape Cutter tools: Instantly create a unique photo object by using text or shapes to clip underlying photos or imagery. Paste or drag the resulting photo object to any image to build a collage. More than professional-quality photo editing, PaintShop Pro X7 is also a powerful design program for any visual project.
- New! Materials Palette featuring Color Harmonies: Find the color, texture or pattern you want more quickly. Easily sample colors with a Dropper tool and create your own custom palettes to keep track of your favorite color combinations. New in the Materials Properties, Color Harmonies help you create a custom palette for your creative projects. Select one of the preset color harmony settings to see color suggestions and choose colors that look great together.
PaintShop Pro X7 enables you to learn as you go with built-in training tools, including the award-winning Learning Center and video tutorials. With RAW editing, an enhanced layer workflow, HDR and more, PaintShop Pro X7 is the photo-editing and digital design software that’s ideal for any project.
For users looking for a total photo editing, design and RAW workflow solution, PaintShop Pro X7 is the ideal complement to Corel AfterShot Pro 2, the industry's fastest RAW converter and photo management software.
Take your creativity even further with the new PaintShop Pro X7 Ultimate which also includes these valuable add-ons:
Also introducing Corel Photo Video Suite X7
- Perfectly Clear by Athentech Imaging: award-winning intelligent photo correction
- Reallusion FaceFilter3 Standard: versatile photo retouching for beautiful portraits
- Creative collection: dozens of brushes, textures and over 100 royalty-free backgrounds
Corel also today announced Corel Photo Video Suite X7, delivering PaintShop Pro X7 and VideoStudio Pro X7 for photo and video editing in one complete package. Availability
Corel PaintShop Pro X7 and Corel PaintShop Pro X7 Ultimate are available now in English, German, French, Dutch, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Chinese Traditional and Japanese. B&H
has Corel PaintShop Pro X7
available for preorder.
Post Date: 8/28/2014 8:53:06 AM CT Posted By: Sean
United Kingdom, Republic of Ireland, 28th August 2014 – Canon today announces details of its presence at photokina 2014, unveiling its most interactive environment ever at the world’s largest photography and imaging show. Designed around helping photographers immerse themselves in the latest technologies, Canon’s programme at the show will offer visitors a digital imaging experience that highlights its industry leading range of products and services.
Canon’s stand at photokina 2014 will be dedicated to the journey of capturing a moment or memory. Within an open, free-roam environment, visitors will be invited to undertake shooting challenges, with experts on-hand to guide them along the way. The experiential event will go far beyond simple touch and try demonstrations, and instead provide the opportunity to truly experience the Canon range.
The stand will also feature live presentation sessions with Canon’s world famous photography ambassadors. Presenters will include landscape and travel photographer David Noton, photojournalist and documentary filmmaker Ulla Lohmann, and action shooter Richard Walch, with each providing first-hand accounts of how Canon products help them to realise their individual visions. Furthermore, Canon Explorer Jörg Kyas will be taking on interactive challenges set by visitors – providing a unique way for enthusiasts to learn about new styles or techniques.
In addition, Canon’s custom-designed platform for managing and sharing a world of images, irista, will be demonstrated, highlighting Canon’s dedication to furthering the capabilities of digital services. Visitors will also be able to browse Canon equipment and piece together their own ‘virtual kitbag’ using touchscreen tables placed around the stand.
“photokina 2014 for us is about immersing customers in a world of exciting imaging possibilities,” said Alessandro Stanzani, Head of Consumer Imaging, Canon Europe. “We’re creating an experiential environment that will challenge visitors to think much more deeply about their photography. Our photokina presence will demonstrate the very best in product and service innovation as we encourage photography explorers to truly engage with the Canon brand.”
To allow attendees the opportunity to retain their experience, Canon Live Pass RFID cards will be supplied to allow visitors to scan in at key points around the stand in order to create a souvenir site which is tailored to their interest areas, and to which they can refer after the show. Those not attending can keep up to speed via the official Canon Europe YouTube channel
, where videos will provide a summary of each day’s events. Alternatively, the action can be followed live on Facebook
or on Twitter
/ #CanonPhotokina. A virtual tour of the Canon experience and other Canon photokina content will be available on the dedicated photokina website
Canon’s stand will be located in Hall 3.2.
Post Date: 8/28/2014 7:39:10 AM CT Posted By: Sean