Firmware Version 1.2.3 incorporates the following improvements and fixes.
- Fixes a phenomenon in which the flash may not fire depending on the timing of when the shutter button is pressed.
- Fixes a phenomenon in which the AF microadjustment value may change.*
- Fixes a phenomenon in which the LCD monitor may show a line of false color along boundaries of high contrast.
- Fixes a phenomenon in which the histogram of a LiveView image is incorrectly displayed when an HDMI cable is connected.
- Enables the brightness of the camera’s LCD monitor to be adjusted even when an HDMI cable is connected.
* The phenomenon listed in 2 was addressed with Firmware Version 1.2.1, and has been further improved with Firmware Version 1.2.3.
Firmware Version 1.2.3 is for cameras with firmware up to Version 1.2.1. If the camera's firmware is already Version 1.2.3, it is not necessary to update the firmware.
When updating the firmware of your camera, please first review the instructions thoroughly before you download the firmware.
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware Version 1.2.3
Adorama carries the Canon EOS 5D Mark III.
It looks like Google has added something new to its Nik Collection. (thanks Pete) Note:
The image above is the Analog Efex logo with the new "Vintage Camera 6" preset applied. ;-)
Today we’re excited to welcome Analog Efex Pro
to the Nik Collection by Google. Our latest plug-in lets you reproduce the look and feel of classic cameras and processing methods without having to buy all that vintage equipment.
Analog Efex Pro is more than just vintage presets. Advanced tools let you precisely adjust bokeh, textures, lens distortion and lots more. You can even use on-image controls to choose the centerpoint of any effects you add.
If you’ve already purchased the Nik Collection by Google you’ll get Analog Efex Pro automatically, for free. Your copy of the collection will automatically update and you’ll see the new plug-in alongside SIlver Efex Pro, Viveza, and the rest of the Nik tools you use.
If you’re not a customer yet, you can buy the entire Nik Collection (still just $149) or download a free trial at http://www.google.com/nikcollection/products/analog-efex-pro
This is just the beginning for Analog Efex Pro. We hope you enjoy this first version, and be sure to stay tuned -- we’ll be adding more cameras, more controls, and more creativity in the months ahead.
Site visitor Laurence had a very specific problem – when converting videos taken with his DSLR from .MOV to AVI file format, the EXIF data never got stored in the AVI's metadata. He wanted a (free) software solution that allowed him to embed the EXIF information for future reference.
The answer – abcAVI Tag Editor
by software developer Alexander Sorkin.
abcAVI Tag Editor allows you to embed tag information in the header of AVI files using the "Comments" and "Additional Information" fields.
From site visitor Laurence:
To verify that the EXIF data was saved, you can open the AVI file with a Hex editor or Notepad++ and you will see the Shooting Info right up at the top following the second 'LIST' entry.
- Open Canon's Digital Photo Professional (software bundled with the camera) and navigate to the source MOV file.
- In DPP, right click the MOV file and select INFO from the pulldown menu or just hit CTRL-I. This pulls up a dialog box with the Shooting Information and Metadata.
- Click any line in the Shooting Information section to highlight it, then CTRL-A to Select All, then CTRL-C to copy everything to the clipboard.
- Open the target AVI file in abcAVI Tag Editor. You will see four tabs labelled 'Primary Tags', 'Movie Credits', 'Additional Tags' and 'Other Tags'. Select 'Primary Tags', and you will see a field called 'Comments'. Right click anywhere in the field and hit CTRL-V. You will see the Shooting Info from the MOV pasted in. The same procedure can be done under the 'Additional Tags' tab to paste the Shooting Info into the 'Additional Information' field if you wanted to.
- Up at the top of the abcAVI Tag Editor window is an icon of a floppy disk. Click this and it saves the metadata changes (i.e., it writes the Shooting Info into the Header area of the AVI file). Now close abcavi Tag Editor.
NOTE: For photographers who are into Geotagging or Geocaching, abcavi Tag Editor lets you easily add Lat/Long or Geocaching data to the rest of the shooting info (get lat/long from Google Earth if you don't have a GPS tracklog for your video location) and embed that into the AVI along with the rest of the Canon EXIF data. Just type it in manually anywhere you like with the other EXIF data you copied in from the MOV."
Thanks Laurence for sending that in!
have the Canon EOS 6D DSLR Camera
available for $1,573.00. Of the two retailers, Adorama has the better deal - free shipping, 4% rewards
and several free accessories.
(via RobertsCamera) has a Refurbished Nikon D5100 with 18-55mm VR & 55-200mm VR Lens Kit
available for $469.99 with free shipping. Compare at $796.95 new.
has the Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Lens
available for $1,699.00. Compare at $1,886.95. Note:
When purchased by US customers, items sold by DigitalRev are considered grey market.
The Canon Store
has the Canon PowerShot ELPH 530 HS (Black)
available for $148.50 with free shipping. Compare at $181.20.
The camera comes with a free 4GB memory card and case.
From Tether Tools: October 18, 2013 – SCOTTSDALE, AZ
– Tether Tools is excited to announce two wireless tethering kits designed to meet the diverse needs of photographers integrating tablets in their tethered workflow. Each kit contains the gear necessary to wirelessly transfer images to an iPad/Tablet for instant image viewing and sharing. Starter Wireless Tethering Kit
Tether Tools’ Starter Wireless Kit provides a great combination of product ideal for wireless image transfer and camera control from an iPad. Complete with a CamRanger Wireless transmitter, Wallee iPad/Tablet Case in black and a Connect Lite bracket for iPad mounting, this kit is designed for wireless tethered photo shoots in any location. The Connect Lite Bracket has dual 1/4”-20 receiving threads enabling photographers to mount the tablet on a tripod, arm/clamp, camera strap or stand for safe and easy access during a shoot. Pro Wireless Tethering Kit
Tether Tools’ Pro Wireless Tethering Kit offers all the benefits of DSLR wireless image transfer and camera control from an iPad, plus external power source and optimal mounting solutions for both CamRanger and iPad/Tablet. Complete with a CamRanger Wireless transmitter, Mighty Mount + ¼-20” Cold Shoe Adapter for the CamRanger, Rock Solid External Power Bank, and Connect Lite Bracket with a Tether Tools/BlackRapid TabStrap Kit, and Wallee iPad/Tablet Case. The Wireless Pro Kit makes wireless mobile tethering simple. This kit is ideal for architectural, wildlife, landscape, sports, portrait, street and many other photo scenarios. The Pro Wireless Tethering Kit enables a photographer to be completely mobile, yet still experience most of the benefits of traditional tethered photography. “Consumer demand for wireless solutions and incorporating the iPad into the photo workflow have led to the creation of this offering. Most customers shooting wireless want a simple solution to secure their camera, transmitter and iPad or tablet. With the Pro Kit they have the option of wearing the iPad hands free or mounting it on their tripod or stands,” said Tether Tools President, Josh Simons. “The Mighty Mount and Connect Lite Bracket are small but incredibly versatile solutions that solve so many mounting needs.” Adorama
carries Tether Tools products
From Epson: Epson Exhibition Watercolor Paper Textured Provides Quality and Versatility for Professional Photography and Fine Art Reproduction Markets NEW YORK – Oct. 25, 2013
– Epson America today announced the newest addition to its award winning portfolio of Signature Worthy media. Engineered for the most discerning professional photographers, artists, museums, and fine-art reproduction houses, Epson Exhibition Watercolor Paper Textured is designed to deliver a distinctive feel along with rich blacks, a wide color gamut and smooth tonal gradations for the ultimate in quality, both visually and tactility.
“In response to the growing demand for a superior cotton fiber digital fine art paper with the look and feel of a traditional artist’s watercolor paper, Epson worked in collaboration with the world’s leading creative professionals to design an extremely versatile paper that meets their requirements and upholds our reputation for delivering only the highest quality media,” said Jeff Smith, product manager, Epson America, Inc. “The unique textured surface, combined with industry-leading physical properties and exceptional roll to roll consistency, offers professional photographers and fine artists an excellent new paper to better exhibit their work.”
Epson Exhibition Watercolor Paper Textured is manufactured with the revered mould-made process, utilizing custom made felts for a unique, highly textured watercolor surface and finish to help achieve the best combination of image quality and image permanence1. In addition to the 22 Mil caliper and 310 gsm, Exhibition Watercolor Paper is 100 percent cotton fiber and acid, lignin and OBA-free, making it an ideal fine art paper for today’s printing professionals.
The paper will be available in November through Epson Authorized Resellers in roll widths of 17, 24 and 44-inches, and 8.5” x 11”, 13” x 19” and 17” x 22” cut sheets. Pricing information (MSRP) is available in the following table.
17" x 50’ roll
24" x 50’ roll
44" x 50’ roll
8.5" x 11” cut sheets
(25 sheets per box)
13" x 19” cut sheets
(25 sheets per box)
17" x 22” cut sheets
(25 sheets per box)
Adorama carries Epson paper products.
has the SoloShot Automatic Cameraman System with Tripod & Utility Bag
available for $374.99 with free shipping. Compare at $479.00.