Canon has issued a product advisory for select PIXMA printers because one clever hacker
shed light on a security loophole by installing DOOM
on his own Canon printer using its unrestricted web interface.
From Canon USA
Thank you for using Canon products.
Canon has released a firmware update for the eligible PIXMA printer models listed below to enable access to the security option to set the administrator password. Details
This Firmware Update incorporates the following improvement:
The security option to set the administrator password has been added to the Remote UI* menu for eligible models.
By setting the administrator password, you can protect your printer settings from being changed by unauthorized persons other than the administrator.
If the printer is connected to a network, we recommend that the printer’s firmware be updated and the security password be configured.
*For more information on how to access and use Remote UI please, click here to access the model list. Choose the model. Type “Remote” into the Gooole Customer Search box. Press Enter for a list of results.
How to determine the Firmware Version of your printer
|Model Name||Current Firmware version|
|MG7120||Ver. 4.030 or later|
|MG6420||Ver. 3.080 or later|
|Ver. 3.080 or later|
|Ver. 1.090 or later|
|MX532||Ver. 3.060 or later|
|Ver. 3.060 or later|
|iX6820||Ver. 1.050 or later|
|iP8720||Ver. 1.050 or later|
Print the nozzle check pattern to determine the firmware version the printer is running. The Firmware version will be listed on the bottom of the nozzle check pattern sheet. For instructions on how to print the nozzle check pattern sheet, please review the User Manual. Access to the Online Manual is available by clicking here and selecting the printer model. How to configure the Security password
- Update the printer’s firmware.
- Configure the Administrator password. Access the Remote UI: With the Remote UI, you can check information about the printer or use the printer utility programs via PC smartphone, or similar device.
- Choose the “Security” menu item.
- Choose “Administrator password setting”.
- “Register the administrator password?” Choose “Yes”.
- When you register an administrator password, password authentication will be required upon starting Remove UI.” Choose “OK”.
- Admin password registration - Enter an alphanumeric password no longer than 32 characters. The password is case-sensitive. Please save the password in a safe place as you may need it in the future.
This information is for residents of the United States and Puerto Rico only. If you do not reside in the USA or Puerto Rico, please contact the Canon Customer Support Center in your region. Please register your PIXMA printer. By registering, we will be able to notify you via email when service updates are available.
Customer Support Operations
Canon U.S.A., Inc Contact Information for Inquiries
Canon Customer Support Center
Phone: 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666)
has the Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Lens (White Box)
available for $675.00 with free shipping. Compare at $1,149.00. Note:
When purchased by US customers, items sold by DigitalRev are considered grey market.
Photographer David Young has developed a free app that allows you to use Google Glass
as your light meter. You can read more about the developer's inspiration on his site, LeicaLux.com
. Download Google Glass Light Meter
has a Canon EOS Rebel T5, EF-S 18-55mm IS II & PIXMA PRO-100 Bundle
available for $349.00 with free shipping after $350.00 mail-in rebate
and $50.00 instant savings. Regularly $749.00. Bundle Includes:
- Canon EOS Rebel T5 DSLR Camera
- Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II Lens
- Canon PIXMA PRO-100 Professional Photo Inkjet Printer
- Canon SG-201 Photo Paper Plus Semi-Gloss, 13x19", 50 Sheets
Through September 28, use promo code FALL20
to get 20% off
your fracture (glass print) order.