From Kenko Tokina USA: JUNE 23, 2015
– Kenko Tokina USA, Inc. is excited to announce the new Tokina AT-X 24-70mm F/2.8 PRO FX lens designed for use with Canon and Nikon full-frame sensor DSLR cameras.
Tokina’s latest addition to its family gives full-frame photographers a 24mm wide-angle to 70mm moderate telephoto lens with a fast F/2.8 aperture at an affordable price.
The new groundbreaking proprietary optical design uses three precision molded all-glass aspherical lens elements to achieve excellent contrast, sharpness, and corrects for spherical aberrations. One of these elements is very special and difficult to manufacture. G09, is made from Super-Low Dispersion (SD) glass and is a large sized aspherical element.
These lens elements also yield even illumination across the whole image sensor.
The Tokina 24-70MM lens also uses three SD (super-low Dispersion, “FK01” and FK03”) glass elements in the rear groups to control chromatic aberrations.
All these specialized lens elements work in consort to yield maximum resolution to match the 50-megapixel DSLR cameras entering the market.
The fast constant F/2.8 aperture makes viewing and auto focusing possible in very low light situations while keeping some flexibility for setting the shutter speed.
In addition to excellent optics, the lens incorporates a fast moving SDM (Silent Drive-Module) motor to greatly reduce AF noise making it one of Tokina’s quickest and quietest auto-focusing lenses to date.
Tokina’s exclusive One-touch Focus Clutch Mechanism allows the photographer to switch between AF and MF simply by snapping the focus ring forward for AF and back toward the lens mount for manual focusing. The lens is also designed to stand up to the rigors of daily use by photographers in a wide variety of shooting conditions and environments. Specifications:
|Mount Availability||Canon, Nikon|
|Full Frame Sensor Comp’||Yes|
|Optical Construction||15 Elements / 11 Groups|
|Angle of View||84.20° – 34.49°|
|Minimum Focus Distance||14.96 in. (0.38m)|
|Zooming System||Rotary Zoom|
|Number of Diaphragm Blades||9|
|Maximum Outer Diameter||3.52 in. (89.6mm)|
|Dimensions||4.23 in. (107.5mm L) x 3.52 in. (89.6mm W)|
|Weight||35.63 oz. (1,010g)|
|Lens Hood||BH-822 Included with lens (pictured)|
has the Tokina 24-70mm f/2.8 FX Lens
available for preorder with an expected availability at the "End of August."
Post Date: 6/23/2015 2:54:27 PM CT Posted By: Sean
From Canon USA: Colorful Balloons Create Vivid Imagery in Bright New Mexico Sky that Inspire Visitors to Capture Dreamlike Moments with Canon See Impossible MELVILLE, N.Y., JUNE 23, 2015
– Filling Albuquerque's skies for a picture perfect moment, Canon U.S.A., Inc., a leader in digital imaging solutions, is proud to announce that it is the Presenting Sponsor for the Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta, a world-renowned attraction and destination from Oct. 3-11, 2015 in Albuquerque, New Mexico. As part of the sponsorship, Canon will present the Opening Day Mass Ascension that highlights the launch of 550 colorful hot air and gas balloons. The Company will also present the spectacular Night Magic Glow, where balloons light up the night sky on the second Saturday of the Balloon Fiesta. To mark the beginning of this significant three-year sponsorship, a Canon See Impossible balloon will fly through the sky.
"We are thrilled to have Canon come onboard as the Presenting Sponsor. We look forward to this partnership creating exciting opportunities for our guests and community," said Balloon Fiesta board president, Mike Rice.
As the Official Imaging Company of the Balloon Fiesta, Canon will host hands-on activities to allow attendees to experience the wide array of its photographic and printing products, and will provide educational experiences to help attendees see impossible and capture photos and videos like never before. Additionally, Canon is collaborating with the Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta to present the Cindy Petrehn Memorial Photo Contest, where attendees can share and submit their favorite photographs of the luminous event.
"As one of the most photographed events in the world, being the presenting sponsor of the Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta is a natural fit for us," said Eliott Peck, senior vice president and general manager, Imaging Technologies & Communications Group, Canon U.S.A., Inc. "Our sponsorship is a testament to our commitment to the local Albuquerque community and our customers. Through this initiative, we want to inspire hundreds of thousands of attendees to showcase their creativity and learn how the right tools can help preserve memorable moments for years to come."
Want to watch the the balloons soar above Albuquerque? Expedia
can help you get your travel plans in order.
Post Date: 6/23/2015 1:30:10 PM CT Posted By: Sean
From Venus Optics: The first 1:1 Macro lens with a 110° angle of view. It offers an impactful and unprecendented macro photography experience.
Anhui China, Jun 12, 2015 – Venus Optics, the Chinese camera lenses manufacturer who had launched the world’s first 2:1 Macro Lens in last Sept, has just released the world’s widest Macro lens for full frame cameras, Laowa 15mm f/4 Wide-Angled 1:1 Macro Lens.
The new Laowa 15mm f/4 1:1 Macro lens is the first lens in the market which posseses a ultra wide angle of view and 1:1 Macro ability. This allows photographers from around the world to start experiencing the rather undeveloped field of ‘Wide Angle Macro Photography’ without using an extension tube. Macro Lenses currently in the market tends to have a mid to long focal length and it limits users to take very close-up shots on the insect or flowers, without showing much of the background details like its habitat or environment.
The new Laowa 15mm f/4 1:1 Macro lens features an ultra wide angle of view of 110 degrees with 1:1 maximum magnification. Photographers can focus very close to the subject and let the foreground dominates in the photo but at the same time, have the background telling viewers about where and how the subject lives. You picture will immdiately become very informative and intriguing. Full Resolution Samples
(see Update)Image 1
| Image 2
| Image 3
| Image 4
| Image 5
| Image 6
The lens can also serve as an excellent ultra-wide angle lenses with infinity focus for cameras with full frame sensors. A shift mechanism is added at the rear end of the lens with a maximum adjustment of +/- 6mm, which is extremely useful for landscape/architecture photography for distortion correction.
The lens houses with 12 elements in 9 groups with 3 pieces of High Refractive elements and 1 piece of Extra-low dispersion elements to deliver crystal sharpness both in the center and the edge. Barrel Distortion was also carefully controlled. 14 pieces of aperture blades form a close-to-circular aperture, capable of creating creamy shallow depth of view. The enclosure of the lens is made of metal to strengthen its durability. Canon EF, Nikon F, Sony Alpha, Sony FE and Pentax K mounts are available. Product Specifications
Pricing and Availability
|Minimum Aperture ||f/32|
|Angle of View||110 degrees (FF) 85 degrees (APS-C)|
|Format Compatibility||Full Frame|
|Shift (for APS-C sensors only) ||+/- 6 mm|
|Lens Structure||12 elements in 9 groups|
(High Refractive Elements x 3pcs, Extra-low Disperson Elements x 1pc)
|Aperture Blades ||14|
|Min. working distance||0.47 cm (1:1)|
|Min. shooting distance||12 cm|
|Max. Magnification Ratio||1:01|
|Dimensions||83.8 x 64.7 mm|
|Mounts||Canon EF, Nikon F, Sony A, Pentax K, Sony FE|
The Laowa 15mm f/4 wide-angle macro lens will be available in late July at authorized resellers. The recommended retail price is at USD $479.00.
Post Date: 6/23/2015 11:12:07 AM CT Posted By: Sean
(via GetItDigital) has the Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM Lens
) available for $612.99 with free shipping. Compare at $999.00. Note:
This is likely a grey market item and therefore would not technically qualify for a Canon USA warranty.
Post Date: 6/23/2015 10:12:55 AM CT Posted By: Sean
has the Refurbished Canon 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Lens
) available for $199.95 with free expedited shipping. Compare at $299.00 new.
Post Date: 6/23/2015 9:01:23 AM CT Posted By: Sean
Because the new Canon EOS 5Ds
and 5Ds R
have such extreme resolution, image quality test results from these cameras show only a small subset of the test chart details compared to even the highest resolution camera previously included in this tool. I lamented about the loss of details yesterday
and promised to work on a solution. My first pass at this solution is now live.
For any results captured with the 5Ds or 5Ds R cameras, an additional three crops are presented below the original three. This strategy allows the new cameras to be integrated into the existing tool while preserving the integrity of the previously existing results. The new crops include the numbers from the chart that are just outside of the original center, mid-frame and corner crops.
You can test drive the enhancement here
. Feedback and better ideas are welcomed!
Post Date: 6/23/2015 8:21:13 AM CT Posted By: Bryan
has the National Geographic Walkabout Slender Messenger Bag
available for $33.88 with free shipping. Regularly $63.88. Product Highlihgts
- For Mirrorless Camera with Attached Lens
- Holds 15.4" Laptop
- Padded Removable Insert
- Movable Interior Nylon Dividers
- Two Front Zippered Organizer Pockets
- Zippered Pouch for Cell Phone MP3 Player
- Zippered Front Flap/Touch Fastened Tabs
- Adjustable Shoulder Strap/Trolley Sleeve
- Rear Cloth Handle
- Cotton Canvas Exterior/Leather Accents
Post Date: 6/23/2015 7:31:10 AM CT Posted By: Sean
has the Toshiba 5TB Desktop 3.5'' Internal Hard Drive
available for $144.99 with free expedited shipping. Regularly $179.99. Product Highlights
- SATA III Interface
- Up to 6 Gb/s Transfer Rate
- 7200 rpm Spin Speed
- 128MB Cache Buffer
- Windows, Mac, and Linux Compatible
Post Date: 6/23/2015 6:34:04 AM CT Posted By: Sean
has the PNY 128GB Elite Performance SDXC Class 10 UHS-1 Memory Card
available for $52.99 with free expedited shipping. Regularly $62.99. Product Highlights
- 128GB Storage Capacity
- UHS-1, Class 10, SD 3.0 Rated
- Read Speed up to 90 MB/s
- Write Speed up to 60 MB/s
- Magnet, Temperature, Shock, Water Proof
Post Date: 6/23/2015 6:26:04 AM CT Posted By: Sean
For a limited time, Amazon
is featuring the Rokinon 35mm T1.5 Cine Lens for Canon
as a Lightning Deal
and has the lens available for $364.99. Compare at $429.95. Features:
- 35mm fixed focal length; t/1.5-22 aperture range; Manual focus
- Features the same outstanding optical quality as the highly rated Rokinon 35mm f/1.4 lens
- Features de-clicked aperture to reduce noise and to allow more specific manual aperture settings
- Lens is follow focus compatible to enable the user to focus and use the aperture ring without interrupting video shooting
- Includes front and rear lens caps, removable hood, lens pouch, instruction manual and 1 year Rokinon warranty
Post Date: 6/22/2015 11:59:54 AM CT Posted By: Sean
by Sean Setters
Let's face it – photo gear is expensive. Most gear purchases require a significant amount of planning, saving and consideration before pressing the "Add to Cart" button. However, there are a few pieces of gear that are, in my opinion, worth much more than you pay for them.
Here are five inexpensive (less than $20.00) tools that no photographer should be without:
- Giottos Rocket Blaster Dust-Removal Tool ($8.95 - $11.95) – If you own a DSLR and ever change your lens (that includes most of us), this tool is indespensible in keeping your sensor clean. For stubborn stuck-on dust and debris, you'll need to peform a more expensive wet cleaning, but the Rocket Blaster is the best (and cheapest) first line of defense against dust spots showing up in your images. It's also a great tool for cleaning the exterior of cameras and lenses which can lessen the time involved in post-processing product shots (and why Bryan uses this tool substantially more than I do).
- Filter Wrench ($4.95 - $8.95) – Have you ever stacked filters on your lens? If so, you may already know how valuable this cheap tool can be. I often stack filters – ND + ND, CPOL + ND – and inevitably, they become stuck together. The problem is especailly bad when using a circular polarizer becaues the area you have to grip is significantly smaller than with other filters. In this case, a filter wrench can save you from the time consuming and frustrating headache induced by trying to separate stuck filters.
- Super Clamp ($19.95) – The possible list of uses for this handy little tool would likely equal the text found in a small novel. While this particular tool isn't terribly useful on its own, it expands what's capable when used with other tools (many of which you may may already own). For example, I've used them to put shoe-mount flashes in hard to reach places (using an umbrella swivel). I've used them to help secure a battery pack to a lightstand (using a hook adapter accessory). I've even used them as a camera platform when shooting in urban environments or as an easy way to mount a remote camera as seen in the image above (using a quick release clamp attached to the top). For what it's worth, I like version with the T-handle best (it's easier to pack as it takes up less room). And by the way, don't carelessly throw away the wedge insert (like I did with my first super clamp); it's used to allow the clamp to be easily and safely mounted to flat surfaces.
- Microfiber Cloth ($1.59 - $8.95) – I have approximately a dozen of these stuffed into various camera bags and drawers but I'd never complain about having more of them. They are the best tool for keeping your front element/front filter clean. As such, they should never be out of arm's reach.
- Gaffer Tape (starting at $1.95) – The beauty of this tape is how well it holds in place and how easily it can be removed without leaving a sticky residue. If the list of uses for a super clamp could fill a small novel, the list of uses for gaffer tape could likely fill the pages of War and Peace. I could not begin to describe all the ways I've used gaffer tape. If you don't currently have a roll in your gear bag, get one now; you won't regret it.
Post Date: 6/22/2015 11:07:05 AM CT Posted By: Sean
Hot Deal: eBay
(via GetItDigital) has the Canon EOS 5D Mark III DSLR Camera
) available for $1,999.99 with free shipping. Compare at $2,499.00 after $300.00 instant savings. Note:
This appears to be a grey market item. As such, it would not technically qualify for a Canon USA warranty. For warranty questions, please contact the seller
Post Date: 6/22/2015 10:56:17 AM CT Posted By: Sean
With a 5Ds and a pair of 5Ds R bodies in house, you can guess what my current priorities are. First up: Resolution chart test results
have been added to the Canon EOS 5Ds
and 5Ds R review
The first thing that you will notice is how large the test chart details are in the 100% crops. These cameras deliver simply incredible resolution. Here is a 5Ds R vs. 5D Mark III comparison
. A huge list of other cameras can be selected for this test lens, the Canon EF 200mm f/2L IS USM Lens
. I suggest using an f/4 or f/5.6 aperture for comparison purposes (for highest lens resolution without effects of diffraction)
The second thing you might notice is that some of the chart details, including the numbers, do not fit into the 5Ds/5Ds R crops shown in the image quality tool. I miss these details and am working on options to include them for these bodies. Your ideas are welcomed.
The first link included on this post shows a comparison between the 5Ds and 5Ds R
. Both are impressively sharp even at the very low sharpness setting ("1") used for these crops. The 5Ds R is slightly sharper than the 5Ds, but with the sharp horizontal nearly-parallel lines, the 5Ds R shows slightly more moiré. I have been finding it challenging to find 5Ds R moiré, but a small amount does show on this chart image.
Much more to come. B&H
has the Canon EOS 5Ds
in stock and the 5Ds R
available for preorder.
Post Date: 6/22/2015 7:31:07 AM CT Posted By: Bryan
has both the Canon EOS 5Ds
($3,579.00) and the much harder to find 5Ds R
($3,799.00) in stock. Note:
When purchased by US customers, items sold by DigitalRev are considered grey market.
Post Date: 6/22/2015 7:13:27 AM CT Posted By: Sean
For a limited time, B&H
has the Rokinon 8mm f/3.5 HD Fisheye Lens for Canon
available for $189.00 with free expedited shipping. Regularly $259.00. Product Highlights
- Ultra Wide-Angle 8mm Fisheye Lens
- 167º Angle of View
- High Definition, Aspherical Elements
- For Use with APS-C Format DSLRs
- Circular, Vignetted Image on Full Frame
- Multi-Layer Coating to Reduce Flare
- Minimum Focusing Distance of 12"
- Removable Petal-Type Lens Hood
Post Date: 6/22/2015 6:43:15 AM CT Posted By: Sean