has the LumiQuest Wedding/Event Kit
available for $34.95 with free shipping. Compare at $55.95. Kit Contains:
- The Quik Bounce light modifier
- FXtra includes a gel holder and 8 color gels
- UltraStrap accessory strap
Post Date: 6/13/2013 6:58:13 AM CT Posted By: Sean
This site supports my family, but my family also supports this site. Brittany, my 13 year old, frequently provides support through subjects she raises or finds. This time, it was an at-least 54" (1.4m) black rat snake that she carried home.
Black rat snakes are somewhat common here. They are non-venomous and usually docile after a short initial fright. This one, however, was anything but docile. It was out to get anything near it.
And of course, an angry snake provides a more dramatic picture than a friendly one. So, with the new Canon EF 200-400mm f/4L IS USM Ext 1.4x Lens
begging for subjects, Brittany and I had a short photo session with the snake.
The first photos (just snapshots) were of course of Brittany holding the snake – for the memory – and to freak out her friends. I grabbed the handy Canon EOS Rebel SL1
and with a Canon EF-S 18-55mm IS STM Kit Lens
for these shots.
Having held the snake for a good period of time, Brittany was ready to photograph the snake herself. She goes everywhere with a Rebel T3i
and a Tamron 18-270mm VC Lens
in a Think Tank Photo Digital Holster 20
over her shoulder. But, she needed a second hand to operate the camera with – and didn't want her snake to escape before getting the shot. We quickly moved on to more serious photogrpahy - snake portrait photos to be specific.
I usually have specific shots I am looking for at any given time. For this session, I was looking at the 200-400's maximum magnification and AF accuracy at minimum focus distance. Both proved to be quite good.
This snake was not about to pose in a more-woodsy environment, so we shot right in the front yard. Groomed front yard grass is not ideal for nature subject backgrounds, but getting down very low (only my hand between the grass and the lens plate), using a long focal length (560mm, f/5.6) and moving in close allowed the background and foreground to be completely blurred. This position gave a nice perspective of the always-ready-to-strike snake. It was not too hard to focus the snake's attention on us (and it was incredibly fixated on the dog), so I was able to position myself in relation to a nice background.
The highlight of this shoot was the snake moving toward Brittany and suddenly striking her front lens element. Brittany squealed. I laughed (knowing that she was not at risk as her hands were farther back from her extended long lens – I was closely monitoring). The snake eventually calmed down. And we let it crawl away.
One photography-related snake characteristic I like is their curves. Snakes naturally create the curves that photographers are frequently searching for. Note also that longer focal lengths allow you to stay farther away from dangerous situations.
Now, the next time your kid brings home a snake, you know what to do.
Post Date: 6/13/2013 12:00:00 AM CT Posted By: Bryan
Image quality results
from a second Canon EF 200-400mm f/4L IS USM Ext 1.4x Lens
are now available on the site.
The second lens' results are displayed as sample "3" and "4". Read the Is This the World's Sharpest DSLR Zoom Lens?
post to learn the details of this lens' image quality presentation.
Post Date: 6/12/2013 10:32:27 AM CT Posted By: Bryan
(via GetItDigital) has the Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Lens
available for $724.99 with free shipping. Compare at $1,149.00.
Post Date: 6/12/2013 4:27:40 PM CT Posted By: Sean
From PocketWizard: Free update provides compatibility with several new cameras and dramatic improvements to HyperSync, further removing the barrier to x-sync limitations. So. Burlington, VT – June 12, 2013
– LPA Design, manufacturers of PocketWizard Photo Products, the world leader in wireless control of cameras, flash lighting and light meters, announces today a major update to its ControlTL firmware for the MiniTT1
, PowerMC2 and PowerST4
radios and minor updates for the Plus III
The new ControlTL firmware (version details below) provides compatibility for several new Canon and Nikon cameras, greatly improves the performance of PocketWizard’s exclusive HyperSync feature and resolves bugs in previous versions. It is available now as a free download using the PocketWizard Utility and it is strongly recommended that all current owners of the MiniTT1, FlexTT5, PowerST4 and PowerMC2 update all their radios to the latest firmware for best performance. Any current owner of the ControlTL system can easily install this version via USB connection and update their PocketWizard radios for free. Complete details are available at the PocketWizard website here.
The new firmware includes complete compatibility for the Nikon D600 and D3200 cameras and manual power control compatibility for the Canon EOS 6D, EOS-1D X and EOS Rebel T4i cameras.
In addition to the new camera compatibility, this new firmware version offers significantly improved HyperSync flash performance. This exclusive feature offers photographers the ability to use studio flash well beyond their camera’s normal x-sync speed, for greatly expanded creative control.
“Our PocketWizard HyperSync technology has redefined studio flash photography for those working outdoors,” said Dave Schmidt, Vice President of Marketing at LPA Design, the company that manufacturers PocketWizard Photo Products. “When photographers can go beyond the normal x-sync shutter speed limitation of 1/200 second or so, they can create an entirely new look whether they need to reduce ambient light to achieve shallow depth-of-field, or freeze action, or both, photographers can now do so quickly, simply and with more creative control than ever before.”
Adventure photographer Tom Bol
has been using the new firmware in beta version for the past month and had this to say about the latest version, “Performance with the new software in my MiniTT1, FlexTT5 and ST4s is remarkable.” You can read more about what Tom had to say on the ProPhotoCoalition website
Any owner of PocketWizard MiniTT1, FlexTT5, PowerMC2 or PowerST4 can benefit from the latest firmware. This release also includes several bug fixes found in earlier versions. “Downloading and installing the latest firmware is one of the simplest and smartest things a creative photographer can do,” Schmidt added. “We’ve designed our products to be reliable and upgradable because it allows owners of PocketWizard radios to keep their equipment up-to-date as new cameras, flash units and features are introduced.”
The Plus III and MultiMAX radios also have new firmware. The new firmware for the Plus III resolves some minor bugs. The MultiMAX firmware, which has been available for a while in beta, adds two new features.
PocketWizard Utility version 1.54 or newer is required before installing these updates. For more information on the latest firmware versions and how to update PocketWizard products via USB connection visit: http://www.pocketwizard.com/support/downloads/
The latest firmware versions are:
- 6.400 for the MiniTT1 and FlexTT5 for Canon
- 3.400 for the MiniTT1 and FlexTT5 for Nikon
- 5.400 for the PowerST4
- 2.400 for the PowerMC2
- 1.200 for the Plus III
- 7.51 for the MultiMAX
B&H carries PocketWizard products.
Post Date: 6/12/2013 4:14:48 PM CT Posted By: Sean
has the Apple AirPort Extreme Base Station (5th Generation)
available for $149.00 with free shipping. Compare at $174.99.
Post Date: 6/12/2013 3:57:39 PM CT Posted By: Sean
has notified us that their current 4% Rewards
promotion is expiring on June 15. If a new Canon/Nikon DSLR camera
is on your wish list, you may want to pick it up while the 4% Rewards and
instant rebates are in effect.
Post Date: 6/12/2013 3:46:20 PM CT Posted By: Sean
has the Tascam DR-05 Digital Audio Recorder
available for $73.90. Compare at $99.00.
Post Date: 6/12/2013 2:38:53 PM CT Posted By: Sean
Creating extraordinary images may seem daunting. It’s important to choose the right combination of tools to bring your work to the next level. Combining Spyder products with onOne Software solutions will enable you to work confidently throughout your workflow. You'll have everything you need to solve the most common problems in digital photography, correct your color, maximize your creativity and realize your photographic vision.
Join us, Tuesday, June 18th from 2PM-3PM EDT, as Datacolor Experts David Saffir and C. David Tobie explore the tools and techniques necessary for having controlled focus and enhancing or limiting depth of field along with focus related issues related to color management.
Be sure to attend to hear our special partnership announcement!
An interactive Q&A will take place throughout the webinar to answer any questions you may have. Webinar attendees will have the chance to win a free Spyder4PRO or onOne Software Perfect Photo Suite 7 and receive exclusive discount offers! Title:
Focus Control: Before, During, and After the Shot Co-sponsored by onOne SoftwareDate:
Tuesday, June 18, 2013Time:
2:00 PM – 3:00 PM EDT Register here
carries Datacolor Products
Post Date: 6/12/2013 2:03:32 PM CT Posted By: Sean
Microsoft has posted Camera Codec Pack 16.4.1899.0416 for download. Download: Windows Vista / Windows 7Windows 8
The update includes support for the Canon EOS 6D, Rebel T4i and Nikon 1 V1, D600, and D5200 as well as many others. Check out the Windows 7 download link for a complete list of supported cameras.
Post Date: 6/12/2013 1:21:39 PM CT Posted By: Sean
Get the ultimate flexibility and fast access with the Transit AW series
. The innovative UltraFlex™ fit system provides multiple ways to organize and protect your camera, laptop/tablet and personal gear via the central flex divider. Rotate from back to front for rapid access. Use the full-panel access to outfit with an attached long lens.
Premium features include: a dedicated tablet compartment with protective padding; patented, built-in All Weather AW Cover™; Hideaway Tripod Mount™; front stash pocket with key fob; stow-away stabilizing waist strap; and a padded, mesh-covered backpad. The Lowepro Transit AW Series Features:
- UltraFlex™ fit system offers multiple ways to configure camera and personal gear
- Fast-access side opening allows rapid gear access when rotated from back to front
- Dedicated laptop/tablet compartment provides separate storage for a vital tech tool
- Hideaway Tripod Mount™ helps secure a compact tripod to the side
- Patented, built-in All Weather AW Cover™ offers protection from the elements
Transit Sling 250 AW
Transit Backpack 350 AW
B&H has the Lowepro Transit AW Series Bags in stock.
Post Date: 6/12/2013 1:05:33 PM CT Posted By: Sean
Manfrotto's Photo and Video Support Rebates
are ending soon – Saturday, June 15, to be exact. Don't miss this opportunity to save up to $125.00
on a good support system for your camera.
From April 15th through June 15th, 2013 receive rebates up to $125 on qualifying Manfrotto products* purchased from one of our Authorized Dealers. $45 Rebate
on a Manfrotto product valued at $150 - $249.99$65 Rebate
on a Manfrotto product valued at $250 - $449.99$125 Rebate
on a Manfrotto product valued at $450 or more
Rebates apply to Manfrotto Photo and Video supports sold either as seperate heads and legs or as kits and all other Manfrotto Photo, Video and Lighting products that sell individually for $150.00 or more.
*Please see rebate form
for full details and restrictions. B&H
has the full line of Manfrotto Tripods
Post Date: 6/12/2013 12:47:28 PM CT Posted By: Sean
From Nikon: Capture NX 2.4.3 Full Version
This software is offered to those who have purchased Capture NX 2. When this software is run, it may be necessary to enter the product key again to confirm ownership of a previous version of the software. Modifications enabled in this version
Modifications that apply to both the Windows and Macintosh versions
- Information for lenses used with the Auto Distortion function under Camera & Lens Corrections in the Develop section has been updated.
- When this software is installed on a computer to which ViewNX 2 Ver. 2.2.3 or earlier has been installed, the Picture Control Utility cannot be launched from ViewNX 2. Please upgrade ViewNX 2 to Ver. 2.2.4 or later.
- RAW images saved with Thumbnail only selected for Embed Preview When Saving NEF/NRW in Capture NX 2 Preferences will appear grainy with display in and printing from ViewNX 2.
- If either Capture NX 2 or the Picture Control Utility (one or the other) is launched in 32-bit mode on a Macintosh computer, Capture NX 2 may freeze unexpectedly if Save as a new Custom Picture Control or Load Custom Picture Control Settings is selected from the Manage Picture Control menu in Capture NX 2.
- To use the software in 32-bit mode, be sure that both Capture NX 2 and the Picture Control Utility are running in 32-bit mode.
Download Capture NX 2.4.3: Windows | Macintosh
B&H carries CaptureNX 2.
ViewNX 2.7.6 Full Version
ViewNX 2 is an all-in-one image browsing and editing software application for both still images and movies. Nikon Transfer 2 is incorporated into ViewNX 2 for transferring images to a computer. Smoother collaboration with NIKON IMAGE SPACE, Nikon's image storage and sharing service, has also been achieved.
This is the full version of ViewNX 2.7.6 for Windows and Macintosh computers. If you are currently using ViewNX 2 this download will uninstall your existing version and then install version 2.7.6. This software supports all Nikon D-SLR cameras, Nikon 1, and all COOLPIX cameras with USB support..
Modifications enabled with Ver. 2.7.6
- Information for lenses used with the Auto Distortion function under File & Camera Information in the Metadata palette has been updated.
- The destination for the link when the NIKON IMAGE SPACE website is opened from the NIKON IMAGE SPACE area in the Browser palette has been updated from my Picturetown to NIKON IMAGE SPACE.
- 32-bit and 64-bit versions of ViewNX 2 and Windows Operating System compatibility
The 64-bit version of ViewNX 2 Ver. 2.7.6 can be used with the following operating systems.
- 64-bit versions of Windows 8
- 64-bit versions of Windows 7
- 64-bit versions of Windows Vista
The 32-bit version of ViewNX 2 Ver. 2.7.6 can be used with the following operating systems.
- 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows 8
- 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows 7
- 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows Vista
- 32-bit versions of Windows XP
Only the 32-bit version will run under a 32-bit operating system.
- When transferring files using Nikon Transfer 2:
- Image transfer using Nikon Transfer 2 is not possible with the following cameras. Use a card reader to transfer images to a computer for storage.
- Image transfer using Nikon Transfer 2 with the camera connected to the computer is not possible with the cameras indicated below. Use a card reader to transfer images.
- D1, D1X, D1H
- COOLPIX 990, 950, 880, 800, 700
- Restrictions on Nikon Movie Editor
1. Movies up to 60 minutes in length can be edited with the Windows version; movies up to 30 minutes in length can be edited with the Macintosh version.
2. The following restrictions on the number of movies and still images that can be added to the storyboard apply.
- A project containing up to 10 movies, or a total of 30 movies and still images, can be previewed and exported.
- When a movie a few seconds in length with transition effects applied is added to the storyboard, the movie file may not be properly exported, even if it does not exceed restrictions on the number of movies and still images.
- A project containing 4 H.264 (1920 × 1080) movies and 2 still images can be previewed and exported. However, when H.264 movies recorded at 720p and lower are used, the number of movie files and still images that can be used in a project increases.
- In addition, when only Motion JPEG (1080p) movies are used, a project containing up to 30 movies can be previewed and exported.
3. Movies recorded at a setting of 1080/60i are handled as 1080/30p movies.
- NRW (RAW) images
When images captured at a white balance setting of Auto and an image quality setting of NRW (RAW) are enhanced using ViewNX 2, the results achieved may differ from those achieved with in-camera NRW (RAW) processing.
- Ratings applied with a COOLPIX camera
Ratings applied with a COOLPIX camera in playback mode are not reflected in ViewNX 2 or other applications that support ratings.
- H.264 movie playback under Macintosh
Colours will appear lighter in movies played back on a computer running Macintosh.
- Display of MPO-format images shot in 3D
MPO-format images shot in 3D can only be viewed with a viewer that supports 3D images.
- COOLPIX S550, S560, L20 and L19 Smile mode
Scene mode information is not correctly displayed in the Metadata palette for images captured in Smile mode. However, all other operations function properly.
- Capture NX 2
- When this software is installed on a computer to which Capture NX 2 Ver. 2.2.8 or earlier has been installed, the Picture Control Utility will be replaced with a version not supported by Capture NX 2, making it impossible to launch the Picture Control Utility from Capture NX 2. Please upgrade Capture NX 2 to Ver. 2.3.0 or later.
- RAW images saved with Thumbnail only selected for Embed Preview When Saving NEF/NRW in Capture NX 2 Ver. 2.3.0 or later Preferences will appear grainy with display in and printing from ViewNX 2.
- Capture NX
When this software is installed on a computer to which Capture NX has been installed, the Picture Control Utility will be replaced with a version not supported by Capture NX, making it impossible to launch the Picture Control Utility from Capture NX.
- Windows version of QuickTime Ver. 7.7 (32-bit version of ViewNX 2 only)
In some rare cases, depending upon the system to which QuickTime Ver. 7.7 is installed, the following features may not function.
- The Convert Motion Snapshot to Movie item in the File menu
- Uploading of Motion Snapshot files to a Web service other than NIKON IMAGE SPACE using the Web Service item in the File menu
- Macintosh version’s Synchronize camera date and time to computer when camera is connected (supported cameras only)
Camera date and time will not be synchronized with the computer’s, even when Synchronize camera date and time to computer when camera is connected (supported cameras only) in the Nikon Transfer 2 Preferences panel is checked, when Calendar is set to any option other than Gregorian in the Language & Text>Formats panel of the computer’s System Preferences.
Download ViewNX 2.7.6: Windows 32bit | Windows 64bit | Macintosh
Post Date: 6/12/2013 9:35:56 AM CT Posted By: Sean
has the Datacolor Spyder4Express Display Calibration System
featured as a Lightning Deal
and available for $79.99. Compare at $114.00.
Act fast as Lightning Deals don't last long!
Post Date: 6/12/2013 9:00:18 AM CT Posted By: Sean
The Canon Store
has select Refurbished Canon PowerShot Digital Cameras
available for 20% off
Sometimes lugging around a bulky DSLR just isn't feasible. For those times, it's nice to have a compact camera that you can slip into a pocket and take anywhere – just in case.
Post Date: 6/12/2013 8:51:13 AM CT Posted By: Sean