has select Zacuto Products
on sale with savings up to $200.00.
This sale ends tonight, so don't hesitate to add to cart! Products on Sale:
Post Date: 3/6/2014 12:46:32 PM CT Posted By: Sean
In our newest guide, Pricing Your Work: Photojournalism
, discover tips to connect with potential news clients and publications, learn what fees and terms you can expect, plus get negotiating pointers and resources to help get your foot in the door and build your career in this field.
Also learn answers to questions like:
- What are the four types of clients photojournalists typically work for?
- How do you turn news media prospects into paying clients?
- What are examples of fees, terms, and contracts you’ll likely encounter?
- To what extent are rates and terms negotiable?
- What type of insurance do you need?
- Plus more!
Pricing Your Work: Photojournalism is the third in a series of guides with Wonderful Machine's CEO Bill Cramer and is packed with tips to help you price your photography and cut your best deal.
Download Photoshelter's Pricing Your Work: Photojournalism Guide.
Post Date: 3/6/2014 10:32:08 AM CT Posted By: Sean
In a surprise move, Getty is now offering the free use of over 35 million of its images
via its new embed tool. The images are watermark-free and simply display captions with the images linking back to Getty. (thanks James)
This move is undoubtedly due to the huge number of unpurchased Getty images floating around the web. Getty hopes the embedded images will increase exposure, expand its client base and open up new sources of revenue.
More information can be found in these articles by CNET
and The Verge
By the way, if you want to use one of this site's copyrighted images for your own personal use, you can! Just read Bryan's Free Use of DSLR Camera, Lens and Accessory Product Images
What do you think about Getty's decision to allow free, non-commercial use of its images? Let us know in the comments section below or on our Facebook Page
Post Date: 3/6/2014 7:14:35 AM CT Posted By: Sean
(via 6ave) has the Nikon D7100 DSLR Camera
available for $899.99 with free shipping. Compare at $1,146.95. Note:
This is likely a grey market item and not eligible for a Nikon USA warranty.
Post Date: 3/5/2014 4:31:13 PM CT Posted By: Sean
has select SanDisk Extreme II Solid State Drives (SSDs)
on sale with free shipping. SanDisk Extreme II SSD Features:
- Variable Read Speed Up To 550 MB/s
- Random Read/Write Up to 95K/78K IOPS
- No Moving Parts
- Low Power Consumption
- Quiet Operation
- Faster Boot and Load Times
- Solid State Design Resists Data Loss
- Compatible with SATA 1.5/3/6 Gb/s
SanDisk Extreme II SSD Sale
Post Date: 3/5/2014 1:12:42 PM CT Posted By: Sean
Post Date: 3/5/2014 8:40:27 AM CT Posted By: Sean
From MindShift Gear:
MindShift Gear has released the lightest, most compact camera cover for outdoor photography, the UltraLight Camera Cover, available in three sizes. This “skin-style” camera pouch/cover is designed for outdoor, nature, and action photographers who wear a normal or pro DSLR camera with small to medium lens out on their chest, ready to shoot. Its adjustable shock-cord on lid allows the cover to fit multiple camera and lens combinations.
The UltraLight Camera Cover comes in three sizes:
- UltraLight Camera Cover 10: Fits a small DSLR (Canon Rebel or Nikon 5200 series) with kit lens or short zoom (up to a 18-55mm f/3.5-f/5.6, 24-105mm f/4 or 24-85mm f/2.8-4)OR fits standard-size DSLR (Canon 5DMIII or Nikon D800 series) with prime lens or short zoom (up to a 85mm f/1.2, 24-105mm f/4 or 24-85mm f/2.8-4)
- UltraLight Camera Cover 20: Fits a standard or pro DSLR (Canon 5D MIII/1DX or Nikon D700/D4) with attached standard zoom lens (up to 24-70mm f/2.8)
- UltraLight Camera Cover 30: Fits a standard or pro DSLR (Canon 5D MIII/1DX or Nikon D700/D4) with attached large zoom lens (up to 70-200 f/2.8)
With the UltraLight Camera Cover photographers can use their camera neck strap for extra support in active adventures. Its orientation brings the camera closer to photographers’ center of gravity, allowing greater balance and stability during extreme action. It doesn’t block the view of their feet like a bulky camera case. It also fits under any backpack. It features a weather-resistant flap cover and lightly padded front, bottom and rear panels. It accommodates lenses facing out or facing down depending on the photographer’s carrying preference.
For superior water-resistance, its all exterior fabric has a durable water resistant coating while the fabric’s underside is coated with polyurethane. It uses 100D rip-stop nylon, 210D velocity nylon, nylon webbing, 3-ply bonded nylon thread.
UltraLight DSLR Cover 10
- Internal Dimensions: 6.7” W x 5.1” H x 6.3” D (17 x 13 x 16 cm)
- Compressed Dimensions: 4.3” x 6.1” x 1.8” (11 x 15.5 x 4.5 cm)
- Weight: 5 oz (141 g)
UltraLight DSLR Cover 20
- Internal Dimensions: 7.1” W x 7.5” H x 7.5” D (18 x 19 x 19 cm)
- Compressed Dimensions: 6.3” W x 6.7” H x 1.6” D (16 x 17 x 4 cm)
- Weight: 6 oz (172 g)
UltraLight DSLR Cover 30
- Internal Dimensions: 7.1” W x 11.4” H x 8.7” D (18 x 29 x 22 cm)
- Compressed Dimensions: 5.9” W x 8.7” H x 1.8” D (15 x 22 x 4.5 cm)
- Weight: 6.8 oz (192 g)
MindShift Gear has the UltraLight Camera Covers available for order.
Post Date: 3/5/2014 7:15:05 AM CT Posted By: Sean
From MindShift Gear:
MindShift Gear announces the release of the first case designed for quick access to round, square, and rectangular camera lens filters, the Filter Hive. The Filter Hive solves organizational and functional problems of conservation, landscape, outdoor action, and wildlife photographers who need quick access to filters of different shapes. The filter case resembles a bee hive with padded, felt-lined slots that protect delicate glass and resin filters.
The Filter Hive’s padded exterior case and accordion-style removable insert holds up to six flat graduated neutral density filters up to 4x6” (100x150mm) and six round filters up to 82mm diameter, including the thick 1.5cm variable neutral density filters. It is belt mountable and will attach to MindShift Gear’s rotation180° Panorama and rotation180° Professional backpacks. Its grab handle with
SR buckle allows it to be hung from a tripod for quick access. Its color coded organization allows filters to be located quickly. It has a front zippered pocket for quick access to a lens cloth and its YKK zipper keeps out dust, moisture and debris. MATERIALS
- Exterior: All fabric exterior treated with a durable water resistant coating while fabric underside is coated with polyurethane for superior water resistance, YKK zippers, 100D rip-stop nylon, 210D velocity nylon, nylon webbing, 3-ply bonded nylon thread.
- Interior: 200D polyester lining, nylex lined filter pockets, closed-cell antilon foam, nylon binding tape, 3-ply bonded nylon thread.
- External pouch: 8.1” x 5.3” x 3.9” (20.5 x 13.5 x 10 cm) (W x H x D)
- Removable Filter Insert: 7.3” x 4.3” x 3.1” (18.5 x 11 x 8 cm) (W x H x D)
- Rectangular Filter Slots: 6.7” x 4.3” (17 x 11 cm) (W x H)
- Round Filter Slots: 3.4” x 3.6” (8.6 x 9.1 cm) (W x H)
- Weight: 0.5 lbs (0.2 kg)
MindShift Gear has the Filter Hive available for order.
Post Date: 3/4/2014 4:14:49 PM CT Posted By: Sean
For a limited time, DigitalRev
has the Nikon D610 DSLR Camera
available for $1,619.00. Compare at $1,896.95. Note:
When purchased by US customers, items sold by DigitalRev are considered grey market.
Post Date: 3/4/2014 3:02:09 PM CT Posted By: Sean
From Think Tank Photo: Think Tank Photo Releases Two App House Hybrid Shoulder Bags/Belt-mounted Bags for Apple Tablets
SANTA ROSA, Calif. – Award-winning design firm Think Tank Photo just released the App House 8 and the App House 10, two hybrid bags for quick access to a small or standard-size Apple tablets either as shoulder bags or mounted on belts. Streamlined and secure, their small size, removable shoulder strap, and double-lock belt-mount make it practically effortless for anyone to carry and access their tablet and stay connected around town or when traveling. Key features include:
- Dedicated pockets for carrying a smart phone, device accessories, plus other small items.
- Premium materials: YKK RC Fuse zippers, antique nickel-plated metal hardware and durable, long lasting, nylon fabric.
- A dedicated, easily accessible smart phone pocket with soft liner.
- An internal organizer with elastic and zippered pockets for connection cables, card readers, power cables, portable charger, pens, or other personal items.
- 4-way stretch pocket on front for rapid access to lens caps, memory cards, batteries or other items.
- Removable and adjustable shoulder strap with non-slip pad.
- Double-lock belt attachment for added security.
- Grab-handle on top for quick pickup.
- Seam-sealed rain cover included in zippered compartment on bottom.
- Think Tank “No Rhetoric” Warranty…period.
Exterior: For superior water-resistance, all exterior fabric has a durable water-repellant (DWR) coating, plus fabric underside is coated with polyurethane. These bags also have YKK RC Fuse zippers, 250D shadow ripstop nylon, 420D high density nylon, 550D spun polyester, 200D polyester, antique nickel-plated metal hardware, 3-ply bonded nylon thread.
Interior: 210D silver-toned nylon lining, nylex lined phone and tablet pockets, 150D hexa mesh pockets, 200D polyester, closed-cell antilon foam, 3-ply bonded nylon thread.
App House 8
- External Dimensions: 6.1” W x 8.5” H x 1” D (15.5 x 21.5 x 2.5 cm)
- Smart Phone Pocket: 3.5” W x 5.2” H x 0.4” D (9 x 13.3 x 1 cm)
- Tablet Compartment: 5.3” W x 7.9” H x 0.8” D (13.5 x 20 x 2 cm)
- Weight with all accessories: 0.6 lbs (0.3 kg)
App House 10
- External Dimensions: 8.1” W x 10” H x 1.4” D (20.5 x 25.5 x 3.5 cm)
- Smart Phone Pocket: 5.9” W x 3.5” H x 0.4” D (15 x 9 x 1 cm)
- Tablet Compartment: 7.9” W x 9.8” H x 0.8” D (20 x 25 x 2 cm)
- Weight with all accessories: 0.8 lbs (0.4 kg)
Think Tank Photo Releases Modular Pixel Pocket Rocket: Belt-mountable with dedicated clear interior panels fit Six Camera CF cards and Three SD cards
Think Tank Photo’s new Modular Pixel Pocket Rocket (PPR) is belt-mountable. This enables photographers to easily whip out their CF and SD cards and to keep them securely and conveniently at hand when shooting. The Modular PPR is easily secured by a sturdy hook-and-loop panel to any Think Tank Photo modular belt or to any belt. It holds six CF cards and three SD cards, as well as other small accessories, such as a smart phone or lens cloth.
Photographers can untuck the neck-strap from its own interior slot as a wearable option to show ID or credentials through the clear panel.
Key features include:
- Capacity: Holds 6 CF and 3 SD cards.
- Belt-mount option with double security attachment.
- Built-in neck-strap as a wearable option to readily show ID or business cards through a clear external pocket.
Exterior: For superior water-resistance, all exterior fabric has a durable water-repellant (DWR) coating plus fabric underside has a polyurethane coating. It also has 250D shadow ripstop nylon and 3-ply bonded nylon thread.
Interior: 210D silver-toned nylon lining, 3-ply bonded nylon thread.
- Exterior Dimensions: 4.7” W x 5.1” H x 0.6” D (12 x 13 x 1.5 cm)
- Photo ID Window: 3.9” W x 2.2” H (10 x 5.5 cm)
- Weight with lanyard: 0.2 lbs (0.1 kg)
Think Tank Photo has the App House Hybrid Bags and Modular Pixel Pocket Rocket available now.
As a reader of our site, receive a free gift with your purchase of $50.00 or more at Think Tank Photo!
Post Date: 3/4/2014 2:37:44 PM CT Posted By: Sean
Nikon USA has the D4S User's Manual
(PDF, English - 23.7MB) available for download. B&H
has the Nikon D4S
available for preorder.
Post Date: 3/4/2014 12:51:01 PM CT Posted By: Sean
Just Posted: Tamron 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di VC USD Lens Review
As I hinted last week, especially for the price, I think that you are going to be very pleased with the image quality this lens delivers.
This lens remains in high demand and short supply. If you are interested in adding this lens to your kit, preorder now at B&H
Post Date: 3/4/2014 12:15:48 PM CT Posted By: Bryan
From Lowepro: Maximize your capacity, protection and travel ease with new Pro Roller x-Series AW rolling camera bags from Lowepro. Petaluma, CA – March 3, 2014
– Lowepro, a product design company that builds protective, high-quality gear for photography, video and portable electronic devices, launches a trio of rolling camera bags that maximize the amount of pro-sized gear photographers can pack, protect and transport: the Pro Roller x-Series AW.
“We’ve taken our proven and award-winning rolling bag design to the next level with this series,” said Tim Grimmer, Lowepro brand director. “Now pros and enthusiasts can travel from location to location with the maximum amount of camera, video or lighting gear and rely on high-impact-resistant protection and incredible ease of use.” MaxFit System for Maximum Capacity
At the core of this new design is Lowepro’s patent-pending MaxFit System of adjustable, interior dividers. This micro-fitting structure makes it easy to closely pack pro bodies, large lenses and all essential accessories in a deep and roomy interior while maintaining superior protection in a streamlined form factor.
The Pro Roller x-Series AW offers the flexibility to move dividers and travel with a variety of kits depending on shooting needs – from Pro DSLR to video, and lighting to audio. High-impact Protection
The hardshell exterior of this rolling bag design is constructed of long-wearing balllistic nylon to provide gear with high-impact protection when moving on city streets and from the rigors of airline travel. Built-in Weather Protection
A patented, built-in All Weather AW Cover adds another layer of protection – in this case from the elements – and may be deployed from a hidden pocket at the back of the bag. Travel-friendly to the Max
The Pro Roller x200 and x100 are sized to meet standard airline carry-on requirements (each measures less than 45 linear inches / 114.3 centimeters). All bags feature a compact and secure TSA-approved lock with locking zippers. And all include one of Lowepro’s inventive solutions – a Reserve Pack that unzips from the hard case to provide extra versatility for those times when a ‘plan B’ is needed. Thoughful Details for Professional Use
The Lowepro design team kept ease of use in mind as they added these thoughtful details: vibration-absorbing wheels with an ABEC-5 rating for a smooth glide; a deep laptop pocket at the front of bag for quick access; see-through interior pockets for extra accessories like cables, filters, headphones and batteries; removable accessory pouches to keep small accessories within easy reach (two pouches included with x300 AW and x200 AW models; one with x100 AW model); and a no-drop front pocket to stash and grab essentials like a smartphone, travel documents and keys.
- Pro Roller x300 AW fits: 1-2 Pro DSLRs with grip, 8-10 lenses (up to 600mm), accessories and small personal items, and up to a 17" laptop.
- Pro Roller x200 AW fits: 1-2 Pro DSLRs with grip, 6-8 lenses (to up 600mm), accessories and small personal items, and up to a 17" laptop.
- Pro Roller x100 AW fits: 1-2 Pro DSLRs, 4-6 lenses (up to 400mm), accessories and small personal items, and up to a 15" laptop.
Specs and U.S. MSRP for Pro Roller x-Series AW rolling camera bags:
Pro Roller x300 AW
Interior Primary Camera Compartment (WxDxH):
15.6 x 6.9 to 8.5 x 22.4 in. / 39.7 x 17.6 to 21.6 x 57 cm
17 x 11.6 x 25.4 in. / 43.3 x 29.5 x 64.5 cm
Weight: 14.6 lbs. / 6.6 kg
U.S. MSRP: $479.99
Pro Roller x200 AW
Interior Primary Camera Compartment (WxDxH):
12.9 x 6.2 to 7.7 x 20.1 in. / 32.8 x 16 to 19.5 x 51 cm
14 x 9 x 22 in. / 35.5 x 22.9 x 55.9 cm
Weight: 12.7 lbs. / 5.8 kg
U.S. MSRP: $399.99
Pro Roller x100 AW
Interior Primary Camera Compartment (WxDxH):
12.4 x 6.2 to 7.7 x 16.1 in. / 31.5 x 16 to 19.5 x 41
14 x 9 x 19.3 in. / 35.5 x 22.9 x 49 cm
Weight: 10.1 lbs. / 4.6 kg
U.S. MSRP: $369.99
B&H carries the new Lowepro Pro Roller X-Series AW camera bags.
Post Date: 3/4/2014 10:51:34 AM CT Posted By: Sean
From Nikon: Camera Control Pro 2.17.0 full version / trial Precautions:
- This updater software updates Camera Control Pro 2.13.0 –2.16.0 to 2.17.0.
- Camera Control Pro 2.13.0 – 2.16.0 must be installed before running this Updater Software.
- When this updater software is run, it may be necessary to enter the product key again to confirm ownership of a previous version of the software.
- On a Macintosh running Mac OS X version 10.7–10.9, run this updater software and then enter the application’s product key.
- Turn off all virus-scanning software and exit Camera Control Pro 2, or any other application that may be running, before proceeding with this installation.
- You must have Administrator authority to run this updater software on a Windows computer. You must enter the Admin password to run this updater software on a Macintosh computer.
- This updater software cannot be used to install a different language version, or to modify the language version, of the application currently installed.
Updates included with this release, 2.17.0
- Support for the D4S has been added.
- When both of the following conditions are met, and the Transfer only JPEG to PC option in the Storage tab is checked, users can now transfer only JPEG copies to the computer:
- RAW + FINE, RAW + NORMAL, or RAW + BASIC is selected for Image Quality (D4S only)
- PC + CARD is selected for Record to
Camera Control Pro 2.17.0 - Windows | Macintosh
Wireless Transmitter Utility 1.5.0
- This software is provided to those who agree to the terms of the software license at the bottom of this page. When the user selects the Accept and begin download option outside of the frame, agreement to the terms of the software license is inferred. Be sure that you have read and understand the terms of the license agreement before initiating download of this software.
- Turn off all virus-scanning software and exit the Wireless Transmitter Utility, or any other application that may be running, before proceeding with this installation.
- You must have Administrator authority to run this software on a Windows computer. You must enter the Admin password to run this software on a Macintosh computer.
- When this software is used in combination with the WT-4, be sure that firmware Ver. 1.1 has been installed on the WT-4, and that Thumbnail Selector Ver. 1.3.0 has been installed on the computer. In addition, if using the D3 be sure that the camera’s A and B firmware are Ver. 2.02. If using the D300 be sure that the camera’s A and B firmware are Ver. 1.10. If firmware/software version(s) are older version(s), be sure to download the latest version(s) from our website and perform the necessary updates.
- WT-4 Thumbnail select mode and Print mode are not supported.
- When this software is used in combination with the D7100 and UT-1, be sure that firmware version 1.1 has been installed on the UT-1 (installation requires D7100 at this time).
- When installing this software under Windows 8, Windows 7 or Windows Vista, a Windows Security dialog will be displayed two or three times. Click Install to continue with the installation.
- When installing this software on a computer running Windows XP, a warning message regarding software installation will be displayed. Click Continue Anyway to continue with the installation.
- When installing this software on a computer to which the WT-4 Setup Utility has already been installed, uninstall the WT-4 Setup Utility before installing this software.
- Those upgrading from the WT-4 Setup utility or the Wireless Transmitter utility 1.3.0, and to which any of the following apply, must create network profiles again after installing this software before it can be used.
- Those using the D4 with the WT-5 or an Ethernet connection in image transfer mode or camera control mode.
- Those using the WT-4 (except for connection to an FTP server in transfer mode)
- Be sure to read the sections below before downloading this software.
Precautions for use with the UT-1
- Modes are limited to the connection modes supported by the UT-1:
- Transfer Mode and PC mode
- Thumbnail Mode and Print Mode are NOT supported
Modifications enabled with this version (1.5.0)
- When the Wireless Transmitter Utility is launched to create a network profile for use with the D4, D800, D800E, or D7000, always select the WT-4/ UT-1 (functions as a WT-4) option in the Select hardware dialog. When the UT-1 is used with the WT-5, select the WT-5 (Wireless LAN) option.
- When using the UT-1 with the D4, always set Network> Choose Hardware in the camera setup menu to WT-4.
Updates that apply to both the Windows and Macintosh versions
- Support for the D4S has been added.
Additional updates to the Windows version
- Support for 64- and 32-bit versions of Windows 8.1, Windows 8.1 Pro, and Microsoft Windows 8.1 Enterprise has been added.
Additional updates to the Macintosh version
- Support for OS X version 10.9.1 has been added.
- Mac OS X version 10.6.8 is no longer supported.
Wireless Transmitter Utility 1.5.0 - Windows | Macintosh
B&H has the Nikon D4S available for preorder.
Post Date: 3/4/2014 10:07:14 AM CT Posted By: Sean
(via BigValueInc) has the Nikon D5200 DSLR Camera
available for $477.93 with free shipping. Compare at $646.95. Caveat Emptor:
Note that the camera deal listed here is not advertised as coming with a Nikon USA warranty and is likely a grey market item. The auction indicates that a warranty is included, but that warranty may be a BigValueInc warranty. If such, BVI's warranty
only covers parts for 1 year and labor for 90 days.
BigValueInc's positive feedback rating is at 99.3%. That is a good rating (and has been improving), but not a stellar rating. We have received a couple of reports of buyers receiving the wrong product when purchasing from this merchant, so be sure to keep all supporting documents if taking advantage of this offer. eBay trusts "BigValueInc" enough to list their auctions as "Daily Deals". We have had a good first-hand experience with them (here
Post Date: 3/4/2014 7:29:58 AM CT Posted By: Sean