To the Users of the EF300mm f/2.8L IS II USM, EF400mm f/2.8L IS II USM, EF500mm f/4L IS II USM, and EF600mm f/4L IS II USM Interchangeable Lenses for Canon Digital SLR Cameras UPDATE:
Please see the changes to the “Identification Procedure” section below regarding the criteria for affected serial numbers. The identification procedure has been enhanced to include the first, second and third digits from the left in order to more precisely identify affected products.
Thank you for using Canon products.
Canon has released a firmware update for EF300mm f/2.8L IS II USM, EF400mm F2.8L IS II USM, EF500mm f/4L IS II USM and EF600mm f/4L IS II USM lenses. This firmware update will be performed by Canon Service Centers. Please contact us using the contact information listed at the bottom of this page. Firmware changes:
Firmware Version 1.1.1 incorporates the following enhancement:
- Changes the control algorithm of the focus drive, and enhances the drive’s responsiveness for more precise focus and adjustments. In particular, the new firmware enhances the AI servo AF capability of the lenses to track objects that move irregularly in sports events, such as soccer or rugby.
Firmware Version 1.1.1 is for lenses with Firmware Version 1.0.0. If the lens’ firmware is already Version 1.1.1, it is not necessary to update the firmware.
The first, second, and third digits from the left in the serial number (10 digits) for lenses equipped with Firmware Version 1.0.0 are as follows:
|Lens name||Serial numbers of affected products|
(x presents any optional numbers)
|EF300mm f/2.8L IS II USM||790xxxxxxx through 913xxxxxxx|
|EF400mm f/2.8L IS II USM||790xxxxxxx through 913xxxxxxx|
|EF500mm f/4L IS II USM||880xxxxxxx through 910xxxxxxx|
|EF600mm f/4L IS II USM||880xxxxxxx through 910xxxxxxx|
Lenses with serial numbers other than those listed above are equipped with Firmware Version 1.1.1 or later. Support
This information is for residents of the United States and Puerto Rico only. If you do not reside in the USA or Puerto Rico, please contact the Canon Customer Support Center in your region.
Please register your EF300mm f/2.8L IS II USM, EF400mm f/2.8L IS II USM, EF500mm f/4L IS II USM or EF600mm f/4L IS II USM. By registering, we will be able to notify you via email when future firmware updates become available.
Customer Support Operations
Canon U.S.A., Inc Contact Information for Inquiries
Canon Customer Support Center
Post Date: 9/17/2014 8:18:38 PM CT Posted By: Sean
has the Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sports Lens
available for preorder. The price – $1,999.00 with free shipping.
This price point makes the new Sigma lens about twice as expensive as the Tamron 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di VC USD
. It'll be interesting to see how the two lenses compare.
Post Date: 9/17/2014 2:44:25 PM CT Posted By: Sean
We’ve partnered up with Mad Mimi for our latest guide, How to Market Your Photography
! Inside, get tips to create a marketing plan, tackle SEO, blog better, succeed with social media, and take advantage of email marketing. Learn to market your photography better and get the audience you want. Download the guide today! Get the Free Guide
Post Date: 9/17/2014 11:42:56 AM CT Posted By: Sean
In case you didn't notice, the Tamron 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di VC USD Lens
is currently sitting at the top of the "Most Popular Lens" leaderboard (on the home page
). Impressive image quality from a very long focal length zoom lens with a very reasonable price has driven the 150-600 VC's popularity.
The lens has become so popular that finding one in stock has become a challenge. Amazon
states "Usually ships within 1 to 3 months" for this model. The 150-600 VC is available on eBay
, but be prepared to pay a premium for it. That this lens has become difficult to find has led to theories that Tamron pulled the lens from shelves or stopped production of the lens to address a deficiency. The other report I'm receiving is that the latest models of this lens are autofocusing more accurately than the early models. (thanks Chris)
To clear things up, I contacted my Tamron rep. What I learned is that the firmware installed on this lens has indeed been updated; starting with models produced in May 2014. The firmware update was specific to the Canon-mount version and was designed to improve autofocus performance. Unless a dealer is sitting on old inventory, all lenses currently being shipped should have the updated firmware. Lenses with the original firmware can be sent to Tamron for the update.
The other clarification that I received was that unavailability of this lens is entirely due to demand exceeding supply. There have been no halts to production and no recalls issued.
If you want to add a Tamron 150-600mm VC Lens
to your kit, preorder
and be patient.
Post Date: 9/17/2014 9:13:42 AM CT Posted By: Bryan
(via electronicsvalley) has the Canon EOS 5D Mark III with EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM Lens
available for $2,899.99 with free shipping. Compare at $3,799.00 after $200.00 mail-in rebate. (thanks Chuck) Note:
This is likely a grey market item and not technically eligible for a Canon USA warranty.
Post Date: 9/17/2014 8:34:50 AM CT Posted By: Sean
"By Stephen Shankland
COLOGNE, Germany – Beefing up its telephoto lens line, Canon plans to revamp an aging 100-400mm zoom and bring a novel technology called diffractive optics to more models.
Lenses are key to camera company profits: the more lenses a photographer has, the harder it is to move to a rival's system of camera bodies and lenses. And unlike camera bodies, lenses don't go out of date so fast, which means they're more profitable to sell once investments in engineering and manufacturing are paid off.
The 100-400mm zoom is a good example. Canon introduced it in 1998 with its first-generation image stablization technology, which counteracts some camera shake, and still sells it for $1,700. But a new model is in the works, said Canon technical advisor Chuck Westfall in an interview here at the Photokina show Monday. "It's definitely on the boards for replacement," he said, though declining to say when.
In addition, Canon is working to spread a technology called diffractive optics, or DO, into more lenses, he added – maybe even cheaper lenses..."
Check out the entire article on c|net
Post Date: 9/17/2014 8:21:18 AM CT Posted By: Sean
Bryan has updated the newly announced Canon lenses' placeholder pages with MTF chart comparisons. All three lenses look pretty good compared to older and/or similar lenses. Alternate product views have also been added.
Post Date: 9/17/2014 7:55:35 AM CT Posted By: Sean
PETALUMA, Calif., Sept. 15, 2014
— Lowepro, the leading maker of photography carrying solutions, unleashes a robust design from the Professional Collection: the ProTactic Series. These packs are built for photojournalists, documentary photographers and urban shooters who rely on mission-critical access and on-the-fly versatility to get them behind the lines and into the action.
“From the design table to field testing, ProTactic has generated more energy and excitement internally than any other product I’ve been involved with,” said Tim Grimmer, Lowepro brand director. “We can’t wait to see where photographers take it and how they’ll set it up.”
Four access points at the top, sides and back help a photographer capture a shot and organize like no other camera backpack Lowepro has designed. The secure, body-side opening provides wide access to an interior built with the patent-pending MaxFit System for maximum capacity with a snug and protective fit, plus a dedicated laptop compartment and full organization panel on the inside lid.
Access gear from the molded, turret-loading top or quickly grab from either side – zippered compartments left and right are positioned to reach gear without removing the pack.
Create limitless set-ups with a super-versatile SlipLock attachment strap system built on the exterior of the pack. Five modular accessories are included: a water bottle pouch, accessory case, tripod cup and two cinch straps – all SlipLock compatible.
ProTactic features Lowepro’s ActivZone System technology that delivers targeted support at shoulder blades, lumbar and waist for comfort on the move. A removable waistbelt – padded and featuring breathable, mesh-covered support – makes it easy reduce the profile for packing or travel. Wear it for extra support and storage; two zippered hip pockets offer space for quick-grab items.
The ProTactic Series also includes these premium features: a patented, built-in All Weather AW Cover; multiple organization pockets inside and out; and Lowepro’s CradleFit laptop pocket that suspends and protects a device within the pack.
ProTactic 450 AW fits: 1-2 Pro DSLRs, one with up to 70-200mm f/2.8 lens attached; 8 lenses/speedlights; 15" laptop; accessoriesUS MSRP $249.95
ProTactic 350 AW fits: 1-2 DSLRs with grip, one with up to 24-70mm f/2.8 lens attached; 6 lenses/speedlights; 13" laptop; accessoriesUS MSRP $199.95
B&H has the Lowepro ProTactic 350
and ProTactic 450
backpacks available for preorder.
Post Date: 9/17/2014 7:20:33 AM CT Posted By: Sean
From Lowepro: PETALUMA, Calif., Sept. 15, 2014
— Lowepro, the leading maker of photography carrying solutions, unveils the newest generation of its beloved expedition backpacks from the Professional Collection: the Trekker Series. Nature, wildlife and landscape professionals that travel to the back-of-beyond to capture amazing imagery will appreciate the improved comfort, superior protection and versatile organization system of the new Pro Trekker 650 AW, Pro Trekker 450 AW and Lens Trekker 600 AW III.
“Trekker is our largest capacity backpack line, so our number one goal in refreshing the design was to improve the premium suspension system and offer a best-in-class solution for carrying a heavy load,” said Tim Grimmer, Lowepro brand director.
The ActivLift System harness is the result. This purposefully designed system is constructed to mimic the natural “S” curve of the back, transfer more weight from waist to hips, make it easy to adjust the length to the torso, and include airflow channels to improve breathability. Ten adjustment points allow for a custom, fine-tuned fit from the top of the shoulders to the lumbar.
The Trekker Series is built to protect and carry big glass and a huge amount of supporting gear. The patent-pending MaxFit System of adjustable dividers is featured in the Pro Trekker 650 AW and 450 AW packs. This easy-to-adjust system allows for a custom, snug and protective fit within the pack and is designed to hold the maximum amount of gear – all while safeguarding valuable glass, pro-sized DSLRs and accessories.
The Lens Trekker 600 AW III is built with Lowepro’s classic adjustable divider system with a lens collar– housed within walls of thick, shock-absorbing foam to protect a telephoto lens. This pack is ideal for wildlife and sports shooters who rely on a sturdy, comfortable and protective carry solution to get them from point A to point B.
The Trekker Series also includes these premium features: patented, built-in All Weather AW Cover; durable Cordura base; tripod attachments; organization pockets; SlipLock attachment loops for added capacity; plus a hydration-ready pocket and checkpoint-friendly laptop sleeve, and a removable backpack lid/waistbelt in the 650 AW and 450 AW packs.
Pro Trekker 650 AW fits: 2-3 Pro DSLRs, one with up to 600mm f/4.0 lens attached; 5-7 extra lenses; 2 flashes; tripod or monopod; up to a 15" laptop; accessories and personal gearUS MSRP $429.95
Pro Trekker 450 AW fits: 1-2 Pro DSLRs, one with up to 400mm f/2.8 lens attached; 4-6 extra lenses; 2 flashes; tripod or monopod; up to a 15" laptop; accessories and personal gearUS MSRP $379.95
Lens Trekker 600 AW III fits: Pro DSLR with telephoto lens attached (such as 600mm f/4L) OR 800mm lens unattached; lens hood; tripod; accessories and small personal gearUS MSRP $299.95 B&H
has the new Lowepro Pro Trekker
series available for preorder.
Post Date: 9/17/2014 7:12:15 AM CT Posted By: Sean
(via 6ave) has the Canon EOS 5D Mark III DSLR Camera
) available for $2,597.82 with free shipping. Compare at $3,199.00 after $200.00 mail-in rebate. Note:
This is likely a grey-market camera and not technically eligible for a Canon USA warranty. 6ave's auction states, "Our products are covered by a warranty of 1-year parts and 90-days for labor. If you need more information, please contact our customer service department for warranty info."
Post Date: 9/17/2014 6:55:37 AM CT Posted By: Sean
From Lowepro: PETALUMA, Calif., Sept. 15, 2014
— Lowepro, the leading maker of photography carrying solutions, partners with Underwater Kinetics, manufacturer of uncompromising performance products, to launch the most extreme protection solution in Lowepro’s Professional Collection: the Hardside Series of camera cases.
Tested to a rating of IP67, which translates to 100% protection against the ingress of dust and sand, and makes it watertight for at least 30 minutes under 15cm to 1m of water, these hardworking cases double up on protection and versatility with a tough outer shell of formed ABS resin and a removable, soft-sided insert with a padded divider system.
“We knew it would take a lot of research and development to play in this category,” said Kevin Crandall, Lowepro director of design and development. “To do it right, we chose Underwater Kinetics, the leading manufacturer of ultra-rugged dry cases, to offer a truly airtight solution – and I mean truly airtight. The long-lasting and durable silicone gasket and seal is virtually maintenance free, unlike other hard cases, and restricts all moisture and debris from getting into the camera case.”
The Hardside Series is comprised of three cases: Hardside 400 Photo and 300 Photo for DSLR kits, and Hardside 200 Video to house action cam kits such as GoPro. To differentiate among existing, foam-filled and single set-up camera cases in the market today, each Hardside case includes a protective and fully customizable photo/video insert with Lowepro’s padded divider system. Tuck-away backpack straps and zippered pockets provide a versatile, out-of-the-case option for photographers and videographers who like to have a Plan B option on their shoots.
Studio, location and traveling professionals will appreciate the stackable form factor of Hardside Series cases. You can store, lock, carry and ship with ease – and Hardside 300 Photo and 200 Video meet standard airline carry-on requirements (less than 45 linear in. / 114.3 cm).
The Hardside Series also includes these premium features: integrated release valves in the latches for automatic pressure equalization in low and high altitudes; interior organization pocket on inside lid of insert; sturdy lift handles; plus full-length piano hinge on back, and lockable handles on hard case.
Hardside 400 Photo fits: Pro DSLR with 70-200mm f/2.8 lens attached; 6-8 lenses; accessoriesUS MSRP $249.95
Hardside 300 Photo fits: DSLR with 70-200mm f/2.8 lens attached; 4-6 lenses or flashes; accessoriesUS MSRP $199.95
Hardside 200 Video fits: 5-10 action cams (such as GoPro); multiple mounts and attachments; accessoriesUS MSRP $169.95 B&H
has the Lowepro Hardside Series
available for preorder.
Post Date: 9/17/2014 6:50:32 AM CT Posted By: Sean
PHOTOKINA, COLOGNE, GERMANY, Sept. 16, 2014 – SanDisk Corporation (NASDAQ: SNDK), a global leader in flash storage solutions, today announced the world’s fastest microSD UHS-I memory card, the 64GB** SanDisk Extreme PRO microSDXC UHS-I card. The company also recently announced the 512GB SanDisk Extreme PRO SDXC UHS-I card, the world’s highest capacity full-sized SD memory card. These new offerings expand the company’s impressive portfolio of 4K Ultra High Definition (3840x2160p)1 capable products. For more than 25 years, SanDisk has been committed to delivering breakthrough technologies that expand the possibilities of storage. The New Era of 4K Ultra HD Video
4K Ultra HD video resolution is the next generation of video quality ushering a new era of consumer devices that require fast, reliable storage as a core enabling component. The exceptional resolution that 4K Ultra HD video delivers comes at the expense of very large files that can reach up to four times the size of a Full HD (1080p) video file. The SanDisk Extreme PRO microSDXC UHS-I card, the fastest microSD UHS-I memory card in the world, now comes with up to 64GB of storage to address consumers’ desire to generate high quality 4K Ultra HD content. With transfer speeds of up to 95MB/s*, users can shoot like a pro and still experience world-class responsiveness from their smartphone, tablet or action camera. The card also features Class 10 and UHS Speed Class 3 (U3) ratings, which are recommended by the SD Association for 4K Ultra HD video capture.
“4K video capture is being implemented in smartphones and ‘prosumer’ cameras and camcorders much more quickly than was the case when HD was launched. SanDisk understands where the market is headed and has the foresight to create solutions that enable optimal video capture and sharing across multiple host devices," said Chris Chute, vice president, SMB Cloud & Mobility, IDC.
“Features like 4K Ultra HD video recording, which were once only available on high-end devices, have quickly gained popularity and adoption,” said Dinesh Bahal, vice president, product marketing, SanDisk. “There is no doubt 4K Ultra HD is a game-changer and we are committed to enabling the next generation of video capture and sharing.”
SanDisk has also upgraded its range of memory cards and SSDs to enable consumers to take full advantage of 4K Ultra HD:
- The SanDisk Extreme, SanDisk Extreme PLUS and SanDisk Extreme PRO microSDHC/microSDXC memory card families have been upgraded to the U3 standard to deliver 4K Ultra HD.
- The new 512GB SanDisk Extreme PRO SDXC UHS-I card, the world’s highest capacity SD card, will allow users to capture more video and photos on an SD card than ever before.
- The SanDisk Extreme PRO SSDs deliver 24/7 consistent pro-level performance for the most demanding and graphics-intensive applications, and are now qualified by Atomos and Blackmagic Design, two industry pioneers, for 4K RAW and 4K ProRes capture.
SanDisk will be showcasing its newest offerings at Photokina, Hall 2.1 Stand: A014. Pricing and Availability
The SanDisk Extreme PRO microSDHC/microSDXC UHS-I cards are available worldwide in capacities of 16GB, 32GB and 64GB and range in pricing from $79.99 to $299.99 MSRP. B&H
carries SanDisk Memory Cards.
Post Date: 9/16/2014 3:26:03 PM CT Posted By: Sean
From Think Tank Photo
: Urban Disguise Classic Think Tank Releases 10th Anniversary Limited Edition Urban Disguise Classic Shoulder Bag and Limited Edition Airport International LE Classic Premium Quality Rolling Camera Bag
As part of its 10th Anniversary celebration, Think Tank Photo will be releasing releasing a classic edition of its flagship camera shoulder bag, the Urban Disguise. The Urban Disguise Classic is crafted with genuine full-grain leather accents and panels. This traveler’s quick access bag is available in four sizes to suit a variety of gear carrying needs. They are built to protect photographic equipment with enduring materials, including a padded compartment for a laptop.
The UD Classic features the professional good looks of a briefcase without calling attention to it obviously being a camera shoulder bag carrying expensive photographic equipment. The Classic features new design elements over its predecessors, including the wide-mouth camera compartment for unencumbered access. For greater convenience, the Urban Disguise Classic’s pass-through strap fits any Airport International roller’s handle for easy transport. When paired with the Airport International LE Classic, they work together as a high-end, coordinated set. Key Features
- Professional appearance with full-grain leather accents.
- Separate padded compartment for carrying a laptop and tablet (tablet fits in front pocket on UD35).
- Wide-mouth opening for unencumbered access to gear.
- Expansion zipper increases depth to fit a gripped DSLR with standard zoom lens attached, in main compartment (50 & 60 only).
- Ingenious pass-through shoulder strap aids in placing the shoulder bag at the base of a rolling suitcase, making it easier to transport.
- Wide pocket under lid is large enough for gripped camera bodies, documents or a tablet.
- Lockable zippers on the camera and laptop compartment.
- Reinforced dividers ensure gear is held at the top of the bag.
- Sound silencers enable user to silence the hook/loop closure on the front flap.
- Wide roller handle pass-through secures bag on the handle of a rolling suitcase.
- Stretchable side pockets for a water bottle, strobe unit or compact umbrella.
- Front pocket organizer gives quick access to pens, business cards and keys.
- Leather wrapped dual handle system for carrying comfortably.
- Seam-sealed rain cover included.
- UD Classic converts into a backpack with “Backpack Conversion Straps” (sold separately).
Airport International LE Classic
- Urban Disguise 35 Classic: 1 standard or gripped DSLR with lens attached, one additional lens, flash, tablet and up to a 13.3” laptop (with standard camera body only).
- Urban Disguise 40 Classic: 1–2 standard DSLRs with lenses attached, plus 1–3 additional lenses, a tablet and up to a 13.3” laptop.
- Urban Disguise 50 Classic: 1–2 gripped or standard DSLRs with lenses attached, plus 1–4 additional lenses, a tablet and up to a 15.4” widescreen laptop.
- Urban Disguise 60 Classic: 1–2 gripped or standard DSLRs with lenses attached, plus 1–5 additional lenses, a tablet, and up to a 17” widescreen laptop.
In celebration of its 10th Anniversary, Think Tank Photo will be releasing a limited edition version of its most popular rolling carry-on camera case, the Airport International LE Classic. Crafted with genuine, full-grain leather accents and panels, this classic version represents everything the Think Tank brand is known for: premium quality, innovative design and long-lasting durability. Designed to complement Think Tank’s all-new Urban Disguise Classic shoulder bags series, together, these two bags make a beautiful set of matching cases that meet international airline carry-on standards.
The Airport International LE Classic carry-on roller lets photographers legally store their bodies, lenses, and accessories in overhead bins or under the seats of international carriers. For added security, it features front-pocket and main compartment combination locks and a cable from a secret rear hatch that allow it to be secured to posts, trees, and other immovable objects.
Airport International accommodates up to a 500mm f/4 lens unattached, additional smaller lenses and up to two gripped DSLR camera bodies, and other photography accessories. TSA approved combination locks secure the main compartment zipper sliders.
“The Airport International LE Classic is most definitely a limited edition bag. In celebration of our founding 10 years ago in my garage, we have added such one-time highlights as full-grain leather accents and panels,” said Doug Murdoch, Think Tank Photo’s founder and lead designer. “The Airport International LE Classic is extremely useful for wedding and commercial photographers who need quick access to their gear and who are concerned about gear security while shooting remotely.” Key Features
- Limited Edition with full-grain leather accents and panels.
- International and US carry-on size for most carriers.
- TSA-approved combination zipper locks secure main compartment.
- Two lock and cable systems: one to secure a laptop, keys, etc., one to secure the entire bag to a fixed object.
- Up to a 500mm f/4 lens unattached, additional smaller lenses and up to two gripped DSLR camera bodies.
- A standard professional kit consisting of two standard or gripped camera bodies, multiple professional lenses, flashes and accessories.
Think Tank Photo has the Urban Disguise Classic
and Airport International LE Classic
available for order.
As a reader of our site, receive a free gift
with your purchase of $50.00 or more at Think Tank Photo
Post Date: 9/16/2014 2:40:04 PM CT Posted By: Sean
From Think Tank Photo
: Think Tank Releases the Production Manager 40 High-capacity Rolling Photography Gear Case
SANTA ROSA, CALIF. – Think Tank Photo’s newly released Production Manager 40 is a professional-strength, high-capacity rolling gear case designed for professional photographers. It is the most convenient way to safely transport a large amount of lighting equipment. Creative professionals will appreciate the superior design of this large roller with room for multiple flash heads, power packs, monoblocks, softboxes, and light-stands.
Many configurations can be set up with the removable no-scratch Velex divider system. The Production Manager 40 features a spacious gusseted front pocket that fits reflectors, umbrellas, cables and more. Photographers can roll into their next production fully equipped and secure with added features like the integrated cable and lock, lockable zippers, and wide set wheels that minimize tipping. It also has reinforced honeycomb panels wrapped in ballistic nylon with full-length exterior slide rails for protection in transport. Key Features
- Stores and transports all types of gear on location with wide set wheel base.
- Lock and cable secures the main compartment and the bag.
- Attachments for light-stands or tripods on both sides (straps included).
- Large front zippered pocket for reflectors, umbrellas, cables, and more.
- Multiple sizes of Velex wrapped dividers for endless configuration options.
- Rigid shell and reinforced Velex dividers ensure optimum gear protection.
- Robust handles on three sides, rear slide rails, and custom-wheel housings for easy loading and unloading.
- Replaceable, roller bearing wheels roll smoothly and quietly while holding up under the toughest conditions.
- Large interior mesh pockets for organizing small accessories.
- Adjustable, standing lid straps keep bag open and accessible.
- Seam-sealed rain cover included.
- External: For superior water-resistance, all exterior fabric has a durable water-repellent (DWR) coating, plus the underside of the fabric has a polyurethane coating. It's also constructed with 1680D ballistic nylon, YKK RC Fuse (abrasion resistant) zippers, custom-designed extra tall skid plates, replaceable custom-designed wheels, antique nickel-plated metal hardware, nylon webbing, and 3-ply bonded nylon thread.
- Internal: 210D silver-toned nylon, polyurethane-backed Velex liner and dividers, 2x polyurethane coated nylon 210T seam-sealed rain cover, closed cell foam and reinforced PE board dividers, Belly-O mesh pockets, and 3-ply bonded nylon thread.
- Exterior Dimensions: 15.7” W x 40” H x 12.6” D (40 x 101.6 x 32 cm)
- Interior Dimensions: 13.7” W x 38” H x 10” D (35 x 96.5 x 25 cm)
- Weight depending on accessories used: 17.8–22.2 lbs (8.1–10 kg)
Think Tank Photo has the Production Manager 40 Rolling Case
available for order.
As a reader of our site, receive a free gift
with your purchase of $50.00 or more at Think Tank Photo
Post Date: 9/16/2014 1:42:17 PM CT Posted By: Sean
Through tomorrow, use promo code REDSALE20R
to save 20%
on all Red Giant software
Post Date: 9/16/2014 11:23:55 AM CT Posted By: Sean
From Lexar: Milpitas, CA, September 16, 2014
– Lexar, a leading global brand of flash memory products, today announced the new Lexar Professional 2000x SDHC/SDXC UHS-II cards, the fastest UHS-II memory cards available on the market today. To complement the new line and create a full portfolio of SD UHS-II products, Lexar also announced new Professional 1000x SDHC/SDXC UHS-II cards and the new Professional Workflow SR2, a SD UHS-II USB 3.0 reader.
The new Lexar Professional 2000x SDHC/SDXC UHS-II memory cards leverage the new Ultra High Speed II, UHS Speed Class 3 (U3) specification, to quickly capture and transfer high-quality photos and 1080p full-HD, 3D, and 4K video. Available in 32GB and 64GB capacities, the cards offer transfer speeds up to 300MB per second and write speeds up to 260MB per second.* Additionally, every 2000x SDHC/SDXC UHS-II card includes a SD UHS-II reader for high-speed file transfer of photos and videos from the card to any PC or Mac, offering users immediate performance right out of the package.
Rounding out the new SD UHS-II card line up, the Lexar Professional 1000x SDHC/SDXC UHS-II cards provide read transfer speeds up to 150MB per second and write transfer speeds up to 95MB per second.** The cards are available in a full range of capacities, from 16GB to 256GB. The Professional 1000x SDHC/SDXC UHS-II line of memory cards offer professional photographers, videographers, and enthusiasts great performance at a more affordable price.
“UHS-II technology really raises the bar in terms of performance. The latest UHS-II additions to our Lexar Professional product portfolio provide users the ability to capture and offload work even faster, so they can get back to what’s important--capturing great images and video,” said Adam Kaufman, director of card product marketing, Lexar. “Our multi-line UHS-II product offering gets performance into the hands of any user at a great value and with the Professional 2000x card, it comes right out of the box.”
To complete the new UHS-II product portfolio, the Lexar Professional Workflow line has expanded to include the Professional Workflow SR2 reader, a SD UHS-II USB 3.0 reader. The Professional Workflow SR2 reader is compatible with both the new 2000x and 1000x SDHC/SDXC UHS-II cards, as well as the Professional Workflow HR2 (Thunderbolt 2/USB 3.0 reader and storage drive hub) and Professional Workflow HR1 (USB 3.0 reader and storage drive hub). The readers are sold separately so users can configure a hub into an ideal solution that meets their unique workflow needs, or can use the readers individually while on the go.
The Professional 2000x and 1000x SDHC/SDXC UHS-II cards are backwards compatible with older cameras and readers, performing at UHS-I and Class 10 speeds. The cards also include the latest version of Image Rescue software and come with a limited lifetime warranty.*** The Lexar Professional 2000x card will be available in Q4 with MSRPs of $184.99 (64GB) and $105.99 (32GB). The Lexar Professional 1000x card will also be available in Q4 and has MSRPs of $546.99 (256GB), $174.99 (128GB), $97.99 (64GB), $55.99 (32GB), and $31.99 (16GB), while the Lexar Professional Workflow SR2 reader has an MRSP of $29.99 and will be available in Q4. B&H
carries Lexar memory cards
Post Date: 9/16/2014 10:02:40 AM CT Posted By: Sean
By Sean Setters
If you're a Canon shooter, then there's a lot to like about the newly announced EOS 7D Mark II. We were especially excited about a few features – but somewhat disappointed with others [or by the lack thereof]. Likes:
Not so happy about...
- 65-point AF - It's hard not to like the AF system found in the EOS 1D X and EOS 5D Mark III. It's feature-rich, fast, accurate, and customizable. Including it in Canon's top-of-the-line APS-C sensor camera was a great idea.
- Fast 10fps Burst - Large Buffer - Until recently, only EOS 1-series cameras had a burst rate this high. But now you can get 10 fps (up to 31 RAW images) at a fraction of the cost of a 1-series camera. This combined with the 7D Mark II's AF should make this a go-to camera sports shooters who can't make the leap to a 1D X.
- Durable shutter (200,000) - Both Bryan and I do a lot of shooting. We really appreciate Canon's decision to include such a durable shutter in this camera. At 10fps, you'll likely go through shutter clicks faster than you would using another camera. So added durability is important for customers' long-term satisfaction.
- Dual-Pixel Sensor / Movie Servo AF - First introduced in the EOS 70D, Canon's Dual-Pixel sensor was a perfect mate for the 7D Mark II. As someone who's been shooting a decent amount of video lately, the Movie AF feature is something I'll get a lot of use out of.
- 1080p at 60fps - While the orig. EOS 7D could capture video at 60fps, it was limited to 720p. I'm really looking forward to shooting the EOS 7D Mark II at 60fps in 1080p and slowing down the video to 30fps (or 24fps) for great visual effects.
- Anti-flicker technology - Both Bryan and I shoot a fair amount of indoor sports. This feature will help us by eliminating those "dark frames" captured when shooting under flickering lights.
- Dual Memory Card Slots - This is a feature that I forgot to include when first posting this article, but it's an extremely useful one. I always have my 5D III set to record duplicate RAW images to the CF and SD memory cards. This gives me a great safeguard against a single card failure or the accidental deletion of data. Peace of mind is a very valuable thing – it shouldn't be underestimated.
- Built-in intervalometer - On the face of it, this feature belongs in the "Likes" section. It's a feature I've been wanting for years. But Canon did something very strange with this feature -
they limited it to 99 shots or less (see update). What!? That's about 3-4 seconds of time lapse video. I typically capture around 400-500 shots when I do a time lapse, so this "feature" becomes so much less useful for me. I'm hoping Canon updates the camera via firmware to enable capturing significantly more images (>1000). Update: The Canon EOS 7D Mark II does allow for an indefinite number of captures if you set the intervalometer to "00." (thanks Mike) However, I'd still like a couple more digits so that I can specify a specific number of captures significantly larger than 99.
- No Focus Peaking in Video - Magic Lantern has spoiled me – I love focus peaking. At a quick glance at the LCD, I can see what's in focus when shooting video. While the Movie Servo AF makes focus peaking less necessary, I'd still like to have it for things like manual focus pulls and confirming focus even when using Movie Servo AF.
- No 4K Video - Truth be told, this isn't a feature I would use anytime soon. Processing in 4K takes more time, attention and processing power than I care to devote to it. But considering the last EOS 7D's life cycle spanned 5 years, who's to say I won't be interested in 4K capture before then?
Considering everything, though, I think Canon has developed a great camera in the 7D Mark II. There's so much more to like than to complain about (and the complaints are rather small in comparison). The EOS 7D Mark II's feature set makes it an excellent complement to anyone shooting with a 5D Mark III. And with that in mind, one will be showing up at my door as soon as it becomes available. :-)
By the way, Bryan has just uploaded a lot of comparison tables and images to the Canon EOS 7D Mark II Review
page. Newly Added
- Sensor Comparison
- Burst Rate Comparison
- Shutter Durability Table
- Back/Top/Side Camera Comparison Images
has the Canon EOS 7D Mark II
available for preorder.
Post Date: 9/16/2014 9:02:01 AM CT Posted By: Sean